Rear Suspension Airbag install questions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Skip to 4:53 in this video. This does exactly answer your question “manually”. But it does give an alternative way how we do this for customers.

Hey Eric,
Do you know of any other Toyota dealers who have even close to the level of knowledge and capability that you do? You seem to have an elegant solution for just about everything. Hopefully in North Carolina as I'm in the Raleigh/Durham area.

Hey Eric,
Do you know of any other Toyota dealers who have even close to the level of knowledge and capability that you do? You seem to have an elegant solution for just about everything. Hopefully in North Carolina as I'm in the Raleigh/Durham area.
Thank you. Rob @Taco2Cruiser at Budbuilt would be who I would suggest based on your location. They are capable of pretty much anything.

Is this hitch built to transmit the forces from a weight-distribution hitch to the frame? 80 and 100 hitches didn't have a lot of structure for those kind of forces.
The hitch on a 200 is built into the rear of the frame and not an add on like the 80s and 100s. Also our manual mentions WD hitch in the towing section.

The hitch on a 200 is built into the rear of the frame and not an add on like the 80s and 100s. Also our manual mentions WD hitch in the towing section.
I'll look for a hitch, what are you running? I haven't looked at my hitch yet, not sure if the stinger will need to be short to not hit the tire like on other Toyotas.

I'll look for a hitch, what are you running? I haven't looked at my hitch yet, not sure if the stinger will need to be short to not hit the tire like on other Toyotas.
I just tow a 40 a few times a year. Bought the trailer and WD hitch from the same person as well. I believe its a a Curt drop shank WD hitch, and I just bought a bigger drop Reese drop shank WD hitch. Haven't had any issues with them hitting my spare.

How is this project going?
I just ordered the Firestone bags.

was thinking of getting the AB Man ones with the sleeves but in speaking with folks with airbags not many were going more then 35psi
I'm only planning on gear, armor and a patriot camper.

I've gone deep down the research rabbit hole with these and plan to post a thread

The model Eric Sarjeant mentions is the Air Lift Wireless ONE
It only inflates the bags as 1 unit so you will have equal pressure in both
The new Air Lift Wireless can do bags independently and there is a GEN2 as well
This one allows you to skip installing wires and buttons in the cabin of the vehicle and you have the info on the remote LCD or your phone thru an app.
While this can also be a failure point on trips you usually Tee off a couple Schrader valves so if needed you can manually inflate them you have that option as well

I liked the option of being able to adjust the airbags independently. Can make up for uneven weight in the back like a spare on one swing out. Also be able to do it remotely so I don't have to run back and forth looking at the trailer and back to the car to bump the switches. Also the idea of being able to do it remotely or on the fly seems cool but don't know if that is practical. But no extra wiring and excessive switches in the dash also seemed attractive.

I was hoping to buy the Air Lift Wireless GEN2 without the compressor and have an ARB dual linked with it, but they don't sperate
AB Man in Australia also has a wireless kit and they will remove the compressor if you want to plumb in your existing compressor.

Good Luck.

How is this project going?
I just ordered the Firestone bags.

was thinking of getting the AB Man ones with the sleeves but in speaking with folks with airbags not many were going more then 35psi
I'm only planning on gear, armor and a patriot camper.

I've gone deep down the research rabbit hole with these and plan to post a thread

The model Eric Sarjeant mentions is the Air Lift Wireless ONE
It only inflates the bags as 1 unit so you will have equal pressure in both
The new Air Lift Wireless can do bags independently and there is a GEN2 as well
This one allows you to skip installing wires and buttons in the cabin of the vehicle and you have the info on the remote LCD or your phone thru an app.
While this can also be a failure point on trips you usually Tee off a couple Schrader valves so if needed you can manually inflate them you have that option as well

I liked the option of being able to adjust the airbags independently. Can make up for uneven weight in the back like a spare on one swing out. Also be able to do it remotely so I don't have to run back and forth looking at the trailer and back to the car to bump the switches. Also the idea of being able to do it remotely or on the fly seems cool but don't know if that is practical. But no extra wiring and excessive switches in the dash also seemed attractive.

I was hoping to buy the Air Lift Wireless GEN2 without the compressor and have an ARB dual linked with it, but they don't sperate
AB Man in Australia also has a wireless kit and they will remove the compressor if you want to plumb in your existing compressor.

Good Luck.
Was on the path of buying a travel trailer and have now decided to delay that purchase. So the airbags are still sitting in a box in my garage. One day...

Was on the path of buying a travel trailer and have now decided to delay that purchase. So the airbags are still sitting in a box in my garage. One day...
We're almost in the same boat. I got the brake controller in but we've delayed our trailer purchase partly due to COVID-19 and partly due to analysis paralysis. I finally found a guy to put in airbags and I thought the heavy duty sleeved air helper set from airbagman was the way to go. But the above posts have me second guessing even that. :bang:

We're almost in the same boat. I got the brake controller in but we've delayed our trailer purchase partly due to COVID-19 and partly due to analysis paralysis. I finally found a guy to put in airbags and I thought the heavy duty sleeved air helper set from airbagman was the way to go. But the above posts have me second guessing even that. :bang:
Yeah... Still trying to decide between just taking tents which we already have and not hauling all together to getting a cargo trailer and put a roof top tent, 270 awing, big ass water tank, sliding kitchen and 12v fridge in it on a bank of lithium batteries to buying a travel trailer (so far we like the Keystone Passport SL 221 BHWE (bunk house w/ murphy bed), which seems good value. Problem is the number of weekends and holidays we will be using that kit.

Regarding airbags by airbagman, I think it is an excellent relative high quality solution to keep the vehicle level when towing while maintaining the existing springs and I expect full articulation when you cut back the bump stops. I will probably opt not to install an air compressor, just to keep it simple. I may look at adding a 12v plug in the back so I can easily connect my portable 12v compressor.

Talking about getting ready and spending unnecessary $$$, I already got the redarc tow pro elite and installed it with the controller button on the left side of the steering wheel. Oh well, one day it will come handy...

Last edited:
Have any of you who have installed the air bags in a stock suspension noticed an uninttended lift in the rear when unloaded and inflated at the minimum 5psi? This occurred on my my 100 and I would prefer not to have any additional butt lift in the 200. Also, please excuse my ignorance, but what does 3 turns of the KDSS valve do for you? I don't see this mentioned in the installation manual. Looking at the Firestone Coil-Rite 4164 kit. Thanks!

Have any of you who have installed the air bags in a stock suspension noticed an uninttended lift in the rear when unloaded and inflated at the minimum 5psi? This occurred on my my 100 and I would prefer not to have any additional butt lift in the 200. Also, please excuse my ignorance, but what does 3 turns of the KDSS valve do for you? I don't see this mentioned in the installation manual. Looking at the Firestone Coil-Rite 4164 kit. Thanks!

Yes, unladen with 5psi give a little butt lift…

This seems like the easiest solution for those who infrequently carry heavy loads? Rather than going to a heavier spring instead go with lighter spring for 90% of driving conditions and add airbag to stiffen the rear up when needed.

It would be great if you could look over the 2 sets Firestone and airbag and compare them. I’m gonna bet the bags themselves are gonna be the same. And the cloth sleeve is what gives them the increased psi rating. I think I’ve heard the airbag man people reference Firestone in their older videos.

I asked Airbagman if they sell the sleeves separately but they said no……

yes, i believe the airbag man are just firestone bags with custom sleeves. I threw in a cheap pair of Air Lift bags ($100) before LCDC and i'm really happy with them.

What did you like about the air lift over the Firestone or airbag man? I don’t even see them in a search…

What did you like about the air lift over the Firestone or airbag man? I don’t even see them in a search…
I reached out to airbag man, but the aussies are on a 2 week to reply timeline. The air lift was easily sourced on Amazon, and Teckis300 had done all the hard work already:

Honestly the bags are all functionally the same. Just get whichever that you can source easily. They're low tech enough that they'll likely all stand the test of time.

IMO, I see no reason to use over 35 PSI. I'm 5200lbs on the rear axle and I only ever use ~18PSI, at least with AHC.

yes, i believe the airbag man are just firestone bags with custom sleeves. I threw in a cheap pair of Air Lift bags ($100) before LCDC and i'm really happy with them.

I believe that's true. I just replace soem old school AirLift's from my 100-series. Needed taller ones for a recent lift so have Firestones W237604164 now. Blue FTW.

1660708393597.png

@DRRichey Why are you switching?
my existing firestone bags started leaking, plus i wanted the additional pressure that the Airbagman Provides - 65psi. This coupled with a heavy rear spring is perfect for towing without WDHs.
Airbag Man kit is worth the wait for sure. Aussies produce far superior products for 4wds, IMO (for you trolls that like to argue)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom