Did you ride today? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A quick 42 miler to Seal Beach and back for some cardio.
33B2D8A6-385F-48B1-B5D7-B8237DDB83F7.jpeg

Good weather?
Beautiful up in the Basin this summer! Started a bit cooler than normal, and have had a some of the monsoonal moisture, but mostly bluebird skies and 70-85* Think it got to 79 yesterday.

Moved here from Redding, where summers include smoke filled skies and furnace like temps...don't miss the weather nor the drugs/crime! Added bonus, when it gets cold here, I'm 5mins from Diamond Peak (20-25 to Squaw) and will trade biking/kayaking for skiing/snowshoeing/hiking (also keep a road bike mounted to my KICKR trainer year-round).

A little more than usual today:

87597CF4-1F86-4D0B-A2A2-ABBF73BD7B86.png

Took the 6am Amtrak to Oceanside with the intention of exploring the inland route back and seeing how far I could go on a stupidly hot day (even though I wasn’t more than 10-12 miles fro the coast, it had only cooled down to 87 by 6pm)

Finally the full link up is finished. 8.3 miles of modern (mostly) DH, machine made flow/jumps/tech that ends ~1/2 mile from my house. Rode the entire stretch last Monday, it was wet (and I’m on the mend from a back injury) so didn’t send it full speed. But man it is awesome right in the muni.

920E5D0F-1409-4914-A2A5-039AFF753689.jpeg

47E4C7D0-ED1E-421D-B682-A6C3A0DA3C14.jpeg

EAB219E0-405F-4DD0-9D32-E84AD069EC5E.jpeg

7AD7FCA4-BC0E-4ECB-BD8D-6DCFBF9B23B1.jpeg

Went out "climbing around Incline" and found the fresh chip sealing operation...managed to hit one of the recessed water valve boxes due to my brakes not slowing me enough once I saw the "camouflaged" obstacle...broke both brifters loose (like floppy) and lost all rear braking power. Bike is currently down for repairs...
IMG_7090.jpeg
IMG_7091.jpeg

So I grabbed another bike from my stable and headed over to Tahoe City and spun a few miles along the Truckee River with my wife (remember - the ideal number of bikes to own is n+1) :cool:

IMG_7097.jpeg

Last edited:
Went out "climbing around Incline" and found the fresh chip sealing operation...managed to hit one of the recessed water valve boxes due to my brakes not slowing me enough once I saw the "camouflaged" obstacle...broke both brifters loose (like floppy) and lost all rear braking power. Bike is currently down for repairs...
View attachment 3094837View attachment 3094838

So I grabbed another bike from my stable and headed over to Tahoe City and spun a few miles along the Truckee River with my wife (remember - the ideal number of bikes to own is n+1) :cool:

View attachment 3094839
😊and☹️at the same time. Breaking parts on hidden, man made obstacles is :banghead: .

I folded a rim long ago on a road obstacle while on my way to San Diego (128 mile ride) Pre-cellphone it took me two hours to find and walk my bike to the closest bike shop. Still made it to San Diego that day.😉

26 miles today, across Angeles NF. 1800’ of gain in the first 7 miles, 3190’ of gain total. 83 degrees at ride start, 94 at finish.🥵
C054372A-1D9D-41DB-A7A7-992F475C2951.jpeg

Not too shabby for 61 year old, 188# guy on a 45# bike.😉

Last edited:
Over to Alpine Meadows to check out the progress on the new "base to base" gondola...

IMG_7106.jpeg

IMG_7102.jpeg

IMG_7103.jpeg

IMG_7105.jpeg

Maybe I'll head over to the staging area Sunday to see some rigs coming off the trail. Got company for the weekend, otherwise I'd grab my mtn bike and head in.

Faster paced ride over to Squaw and checking out the water level at the Truckee River Dam in Tahoe City...

907F56B3-B663-4933-ADB3-76B61403185B_1_201_a.jpeg

IMG_7161.jpeg

Did a quick local circuit up Mt. Hollywood this morning; it was 84 degrees at 5am🥵. Did a longer 46 mile training ride Monday from Long Beach to Newport and back.
That ride was special because in the four decades I’ve been riding down the coast, I’ve only ever ridden DOWN the coast. It was new and novel viewing the port of Long Beach from the south, which made the headwind more tolerable.

Did a quick local circuit up Mt. Hollywood this morning; it was 84 degrees at 5am🥵. Did a longer 46 mile training ride Monday from Long Beach to Newport and back.
That ride was special because in the four decades I’ve been riding down the coast, I’ve only ever ridden DOWN the coast. It was new and novel viewing the port of Long Beach from the south, which made the headwind more tolerable.
I’ve always said, “Want to double your ride routes? Reverse the direction and enjoy the change in scenery and difficulty…”

Been smokey in the Basin, so not riding when AQI is above 200...get up onto the East Slope above Incline and could see the Mosquito Fire plume building.

Screen Shot 2022-09-18 at 9.12.51 AM.png

Headed back over to Squaw yesterday for the Oktoberfest Celebration...the 24miles back home in steady 20mph winds with gusts to 35mph kinda sucked after a couple beers,but that's self inflicted pain :beer:

IMG_7253.jpeg

IMG_7252.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom