Time to have a look at those brakes... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know I have a few leaks in the braking system and haven't paid much attention to anything brake wise in a very long time. I was thinking of going through the system and checking for leaks, rust, worn parts etc.

My brakes are completely stock for an early 1980 and I am planning to keep them that way. I don't use it for weekend wheeling any more but it spends a lot of time on construction sites hauling trailers up and down dirt ramps in tight spaces so braking is important.

I'm posting to see if there is any good advise on sources for replacement brake parts assuming all the OE stuff is not longer available. Also, is there anything extra I should be checking while I'm working in these areas? Last winter, I went through the full front and rear brakes on my 80 and was very pleased with the improvement in the braking and hope for similar results on the 40 this winter when I have time to work on it.

Doesn't say what you have and where? bj/fj /hj? 40,41,45, 47? Last I looked, if you have drums all way round, ebay australia had drum rebuild kits...

I'm posting to see if there is any good advise on sources for replacement brake parts assuming all the OE stuff is not longer available.

Toyota

Doesn't say what you have and where? bj/fj /hj? 40,41,45, 47? Last I looked, if you have drums all way round, ebay australia had drum rebuild kits...

HJ47 didn't start until 8/80 so early 80 is most likely no a HJ47. Checking PO earlier post had one about a 1980 FJ40 with a seized smog pump. That most likely would be a US market FJ40. If OP is in the US would be checking with Toyota first like previously mentioned.

My question is how big and heavy are the trailers are being towed up and down the dirt ramps? Not just driving on the pavement do have have to be concerned about the size of the tow vehicle compared to the trailer. Going down a steep grade in dirt if the brakes lock up nothing else can be done short of ABS. I would be sure your engine has good compression and a good heavy duty clutch. Then tow in low range 4WD. Let the engine do a big part of the braking.

Yes, it is a US spec 1980 with the 2F still in stock form (CA smog test still required) and running strong. Trailers are usually in the 1000-3000 lbs range towing anything from supplies to aggregate, fill sand, soil, garbage etc. On site, given the terrain, speed never goes faster the 5-10 mph and it has been stuck in 4wd low for years. Also has the locking diffs which really help. I have the receiver hitches mounted on the front and back and usually push the dump trailers into position when needed. Ramps are never more than as single story deep but can still be a challenge when towing heavy in the upward direction when the dirt gets wet. Sounds like the Toyota dealer parts are still the way to go for this vintage? Needless to say, brakes are important when towing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom