Projecting, tinkering, fiddle-farting around: whatcha building? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And I got to upgrade the 75 year old windows in our dining room:

D9B1A1BC-6DDF-45B1-9625-0E2CD6EBC22E.jpeg

815FD7F1-A126-4715-9B0B-7A989CCE6EEC.jpeg

Last edited:
And the other bathroom

8AB403FB-7D6F-4A7B-969F-90950C4EF312.jpeg

F5AFF5A8-887C-4AFB-B984-09F485EA1188.jpeg

2022, just a month ago, I finally finished plastering the kitchen from the remodel that started in 2013, painted, and put down a new floor.

43C56F3F-67EF-455F-90D4-7A51DECCEE77.jpeg

E623A299-DECF-4551-B567-2B104E47A2CD.jpeg

…which brings me to today’s project, the one I finally got the nod (truth be told, it’s actually the LACK of a raised eyebrow) to finish.

So being the office, and wanting the missus to be SURE…five years later. that I wasn’t building an exit strategy…I couldn’t custom order a glass door like I did at home.

To stay below the radar I had to go with pre-made, even though 1st-tier bifolds only come in 24 or 30” varieties and I have a 28“ doorway. :rolleyes: I didn’t want to neck down the doorway and make the room look any smaller than it already was. So I took a chance and ordered the 30s, gambling that I could shave them down.

I took a half inch off the inboard side of each panel, gambling that I could rehang the hinges with just enough offset to keep the screws from shattering the inset glass panels. I took a quarter inch off the outboard side of each panel, gambling that the holes where the top and bottom hinges go wouldn’t be compromised. Then I got to pull out my trusty B&D router that I have used on every home improvement project since 1979 and refinished the panels.

535E559C-77F1-4F43-BCA4-EB814D74038A.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m interested in more detail so maybe I can copy. Any info you’re willing to share. 💪🏼
The following was all installed in 7 hrs at our place and 3 hours at a friends garage where the batteries were assembled along with a prewire of a BMS = Battery Managment System for the Lithium batteries. This is a must otherwise you will have an issue with any lithium batteries. Eg overheating, expolding, fire etc. Using 8 320W solar panels to produce the energy.
System consists of the following.
8 320W solar panels. These are mounted on some used aluminum shoring beams.
These are wired together and then brought into the house via a 8 gauge cable.
This then goes into a DC breaker panel box, Midnite Solar brand.
Then to Midnite charge controller, then to the BMS and then to the lithium batteries.
Inverter is a Sigineer 6000 w 24 V .
Forgot to mention that we also use two table saws.
So far still working just great. No fuel to bring up to feed the genny.
Hope this helps.

Welding table continued.
Made the M12 threaded holes, here is an idea of how they can be used.
2425146C-9F82-4B76-AAD3-813A096DB867.jpeg
E85E3877-2E38-4381-B450-D2164492FD14.jpeg

continued with the holes and had to find a simple way to get the threaded holes at the corectish angle.
I didn’t want to spend time to create a tool for it and looked at ready available options.
Found out that using a socket upside down worked good. You just look from the top down and see the rim of the socket.
this gives a good idea of how square you are threading.
C7344145-6DC3-44CC-9EED-C6ECC8F9EA43.jpeg
DA0AD87D-1455-4318-A6CB-9750372C418B.jpeg

All holes are in.
BCB5E91A-4108-497B-BE28-5BAFDCBF3C33.jpeg

The following was all installed in 7 hrs at our place and 3 hours at a friends garage where the batteries were assembled along with a prewire of a BMS = Battery Managment System for the Lithium batteries. This is a must otherwise you will have an issue with any lithium batteries. Eg overheating, expolding, fire etc. Using 8 320W solar panels to produce the energy.
System consists of the following.
8 320W solar panels. These are mounted on some used aluminum shoring beams.
These are wired together and then brought into the house via a 8 gauge cable.
This then goes into a DC breaker panel box, Midnite Solar brand.
Then to Midnite charge controller, then to the BMS and then to the lithium batteries.
Inverter is a Sigineer 6000 w 24 V .
Forgot to mention that we also use two table saws.
So far still working just great. No fuel to bring up to feed the genny.
Hope this helps.
Very cool! Not sure when I’ll make time for this, but I may implement this on my new shed that gets almost all day sun and use for my pool pump and garage excess use. Thanks!!

Welding table continued.
Made the M12 threaded holes, here is an idea of how they can be used.
View attachment 3090005View attachment 3090006
continued with the holes and had to find a simple way to get the threaded holes at the corectish angle.
I didn’t want to spend time to create a tool for it and looked at ready available options.
Found out that using a socket upside down worked good. You just look from the top down and see the rim of the socket.
this gives a good idea of how square you are threading.
View attachment 3090007View attachment 3090008
All holes are in.
View attachment 3090009
I’ve been wanting a welding table myself. Very solid work!

I’ve been wanting a welding table myself. Very solid work!
This is from the times when steel was cheaper then gold.🙄
Its heavy, when I made the frame I had to use the cherry picker to turn it around.

Yesterday a neighbor was doing some work in my shop and when I came in later in the evening I found this.
8BD5D399-7096-41C2-9203-CAAADEF468F9.jpeg

The table is >200kg, I kindly asked him next time to move the wires before rolling the table out of the way.🤨

If I had to do it over I would probably buy a standard fixture table kit.
much easier and faster.

^^^^^reminds me of when I had employees. 😳
Are those the people you pay to f.u. So you can do the work and fix the issues they created?

And pay for the damage….🙄

Are those the people you pay to f.u. So you can do the work and fix the issues they created?

And pay for the damage….🙄
Sure were! I have not needed to buy an extension cord in 20 years. One thing I can’t blame anyone for is those missing 3/8 drive 10mm sockets!
🤣🤣

Sure were! I have not needed to buy an extension cord in 20 years. One thing I can’t blame anyone for is those missing 3/8 drive 10mm sockets!
🤣🤣
That is indeed one of the benefits of working alone.
I have a beautiful 6’ aluminum level that I have owned for 20 years that has a deep cut in it from when my ‘helpers’ used it as a brace under a piece of plywood they were cutting. :rolleyes:

🤣🤣
10mm sockets Are like Reading glasses, you need one for every m2 of shop space.

plus some in storage for when you can’t find one………😉

Confobblecating the next lamp project...
Kid wants a lamp for reading in bed, except no headboard as he's got a (free ;) ) loft bed... so working with the rods on the railing. . .
1662329384931.png

1662329668430.png
1662329676213.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom