Solved: Serpentine Belt Failure after Timing belt and water pump replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I replaced my timing belt and water pump this week. While I was at it I replace the fan bracket, idler pulley, tensioner pulley, alternator, and fan clutch. I used all Toyota parts. Basically I wanted to replace any part that I removed during the service with new Toyota parts as a preventative.

Here is the problem, as I test drove it the truck over heated and left me calling a tow truck for the first time in the 19 years (335,000 miles) I have owned it. My mechanic looked at it and said my serpentine bel had come apart and while it was failing it hit the small coolant hose just above the oil filter.

He repaired it and test drove it 6 miles and told me to come pick it up. When I got there I started it and heard a noise. I checked under the hood and the new belt was starting to come apart. It was a Saturday and no one was at the shop (my guy was working on his own time for extra money and left it locked for me to pick up). I was not in a mood to start climbing under the truck in a hot parking lot with out any tools, so I left it. He is going to look at it Monday morning but I am just trying to get some thoughts from anyone that might have had a similar experience.

Anyone have any thoughts on what might be shredding these belts?

Likely have a pulley with a bad bearing. Based on what you replaced, could be A/C or alternator pulleys.

X2 to above or something rubbing on the belt, ie a tail of a hose clamp or something that was removed and re-installed off a bit

Your mechanic didn't do a very thorough job. The question he did not investigate was why did the belt shred in the first place and take a poop on you. Completely understandable, just not very professional. Those belts are very durable and will take a beating. Seen some last a while even with threads slinging around the engine compartment. Agree with the posts above about a pulley problem. It should be fairly easy to find because it took such a short time to shred your brand new belt. Sorry it stranded you.

So I am back on the road. I will admit to my stupidity. The one bolt I did not torque to spec was the one that backed out on me. The crank shaft pulley bolt came loose. This could have been a very bad story, but luck was with me and no damage occurred to the crank shaft. I had used a big impact wrench to tighten that bolt without a pulley tool. Big mistake. I am posting this so anyone that sees this post will buy a crank shaft pulley tool and torque the bolt down properly.

I agree that the mechanic should have checked every pulley. He assumed I had not seated the belt properly. He still thinks I missed the key on the crank pulley but I do know I had it fully seated. Just did not get it tight enough.

Last edited:
I am thinking of changing the timing belt, and this kind of stuff scares me. Yea, not to mention to keep all the timing marks in place. I am debating if I should take it to the stealer shop or DIY.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom