Merge screens car play adapter lx570 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am pretty sure I have it connected that way. Tech support has been great - and the issue with the screen going black is the GROM unit itself as the Android OS freezes. The USB port 1 also became inoperable.

I am going to revert back firmware to see if that resolves the issue. On the other hand I was able to get the Factory USB port to work with Grom!
My screen did the same with randomly going black. Reverting firmware resolved that issue for me. I noticed my keyboard didn't work the other day, so i wonder if my USB is messed up as well. I haven't troubleshot that at all yet.

I am pretty sure I have it connected that way. Tech support has been great - and the issue with the screen going black is the GROM unit itself as the Android OS freezes. The USB port 1 also became inoperable.

I am going to revert back firmware to see if that resolves the issue. On the other hand I was able to get the Factory USB port to work with Grom!
I was regretting my decision to not get the grom until reading these comments

Here’s a link. I think the one above is broken.

I've never even heard of this. Seems like a great alternative - especially at that price.

Big thing that's steered me away from the integrated units is the need to swap back to OEM for climate control. Looks like this can be avoided with an additional screen.

@jefo13 (and any others that may be using this Road Top option), interested to see how this holds up long term. At its price, it may be worth the gamble. Looks good!

I was regretting my decision to not get the grom until reading these comments
GromVL2 isn’t bad, it just requires patience. I’m just frustrated but all in all it’s a solid unit with good support. However if you aren’t the patient type then I don’t suggest it. I feel like GROM has a few more updates to go until it’s a true plug and play. Unless you are an android user haha

@jefo13 This is a very reasonable solution for those not looking to open up their dash to install the tesla style screens. I like the fact it has a wide format and doesn't obstruct too much of the driver's view. Did you look at other vendors in this market? How did you route your power cable and is there an option to hardwire it? Are you happy with the quality of the screen? I think this RoadTop device deserves a separate thread for review purposes.

Also, the web site says it comes with a rear view camera. Did you install that?

@jefo13 This is a very reasonable solution for those not looking to open up their dash to install the tesla style screens. I like the fact it has a wide format and doesn't obstruct too much of the driver's view. Did you look at other vendors in this market? How did you route your power cable and is there an option to hardwire it? Are you happy with the quality of the screen? I think this RoadTop device deserves a separate thread for review purposes.
Yeah I know I accidentally highjacked the thread and mostly because the vendor referenced was called merge screen and they sell add-on screens which made me think of Road-Top. - I’ll cut and paste a bunch and repost.

Screens in the Market
To answer your question, Yes I have been hyper aware of this market because my previous work car was super old with the 3” screen and I wanted to add separate screen just for CarPlay. Back then only car and driver had an option but it was pricy and no wireless option. I toyed with and Android tablet and an adapter but it was too gimmicky. Meanwhile on my LC I was using the iPad like I mentioned earlier in the thread which had some great advantages but several annoyances. So I kept my out and saw this pop earlier in the year, I watched for reviews as Amazon and Reddit’s CarPlay built some history with it. I liked what I was hearing and then this thread pushed me to it as I mentioned above…. So in short I have not seen any other unit like it (wide and low profile, there are many 3:3 ones out there)
Hardwire Question
I tested it plugged in cigarette lighter to make sure I wanted it, in a few days I knew I did so I went to my trusted Autosound guy and they hardwired it. Unfortunately he did it to the ignition instead of accessory but not a gotal inconvenience. I might go back and have jume fix it.

Cable routing
I followed the same path as I had for years with the iPad. Pull the panel with the ignition button and route it through there, from above the ignition to the device I tucked it in the A/C vent using adhesive clips. It’s not super clean and I thought of going through the speaker grill but the Autosound guy thought the cable is too thick for it. For me it’s fine since with the iPad I’ve had a cable there for years…

Last edited:
Has anyone tried this solution yet?
FYI, i gave it a try. To me, I think it was like all the other built in systems that work behind the scenes. It worked, but just too much changing screens for HVAC, etc. I'm selling mine if anyone is interested in trying it out.

FYI, i gave it a try. To me, I think it was like all the other built in systems that work behind the scenes. It worked, but just too much changing screens for HVAC, etc. I'm selling mine if anyone is interested in trying it out.

I bumped into the Merge Screens site randomly searching for CarPlay solutions, then checked here and you seem to be the only person to have tried it.
Sounds like that all that switching would probably annoy me as well...although less so than having a secondary screen mounted above the OEM unit.
It is worth noting that their site currently says something like "Climate Control Displays Inside Our System"...wonder if they've made some updates to solve the issue?
Do you recall if that was listed as a "feature" on your particular unit, or was it just not functional?

I also realize, as a first post, my $0.02 is even far less valuable.
If I decide to go the Merge Screens route, will definitely post an update here.

When I tried it, it had no expectation or mention of the climate control working. Sounds like they may have made some upgrades.

When I tried it, it had no expectation or mention of the climate control working. Sounds like they may have made some upgrades.
Thanks! That may be really good news, suppose I may give it a shot sometime soon.

Reading their website, I think that language was there and refers to the fact that you maintain control of the climate system with their system installed (like the steering wheel controls). I'm not sure much is different, and frankly, have seen no one crack that code. Never know though.

Reading their website, I think that language was there and refers to the fact that you maintain control of the climate system with their system installed (like the steering wheel controls). I'm not sure much is different, and frankly, have seen no one crack that code. Never know though.
Thanks again! What generation LC are you working with?
I know with my '17, the OEM unit requires constant swapping between screens (nav, audio etc...) just to change most things Climate related except overall temperature & defrost (Fan Speed & Zones are in the screen menu). Then defaults back to whatever initial screen you were on...usually although unpredictable sometimes.
So, even swapping out of the MergeScreens may not be any more work/swapping that I seem to already be doing to make any adjustments.

2018, same process here. Yeah, it was just another step overall. I have the external Road Top display now and I like that a bit better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom