Road Top 8.8"/8.9" CarPlay Screen (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got a new firmware this morning from RT but it didn't fix the mismatch audio channel issue. I'm now waiting for their response and maybe another firmware to try.

Thanks for the help guys. I did this all and it still is only playing music through the RT system. Grrr...I wish it would work properly the way it was intended with the BT transmitter.

Just to be clear, I do have it connected for Phone and Media to both RT and LC. Pushing play on the LC only gets the music to start and stop on the RT system. Also, phone calls seem to bounce between RT and LC as well, almost as if they are fighting.
Ok, so to close out my solution here this is where I ended up and it's good enough for me to run with for a while.

1. Google pixel 6 connected to LC via Media and Phone.
2. Google pixel 6 connected to RT via Android Auto.
3. RT connected to Aux In via 3.5mm headphone.
4. Phone calls all route through LC system, which is preferred. Can still control via AA.
5. Switching LC to Aux in allows for AA music and commands from RT to be routed through stereo in LC.

I'm mostly an XM person with occasional podcasts via AA, so this solution works great for me. Thanks again to all that helped!

PS-I did email RT and they said "yeah, sorry, set up the instruction manual way, calls route through the RT and now way to get them through LC"

Has anyone hardwired the power for this unit? If so can you list the items you used and some pics of your set up? I plan on hard wiring the power and was looking for some ideas.

Has anyone hardwired the power for this unit? If so can you list the items you used and some pics of your set up? I plan on hard wiring the power and was looking for some ideas.
I did but had an Autosound place do it. We installed a switch to power in and off on command… sorry no more details but it was $80 easy bucks…

Reactions: SSG
Installed it today.

Radio.jpg

Radio4.jpg

I just came back in town not too long ago.
Haven't had a chance to even play with my Road Top.

Today, I installed it and try to use it for the 2nd time.
Unfortunately, I hear the fan working but when I power up the unit, the screen is just blank.

I pressed the left side of screen hoping it was on/off issue but same dead screen.
Eventually, 3~4 power down and on finally turns on the screen.

Anyone with similar dead screen issue? the fan was working so I know the unit getting the power even nothing appeared on the screen.
Very frustrating. does anyone know how to get in touch with the mfg service and what's the warranty period?
Unfortunately, 30days Amazon return window was closed now.

I just came back in town not too long ago.
Haven't had a chance to even play with my Road Top.

Today, I installed it and try to use it for the 2nd time.
Unfortunately, I hear the fan working but when I power up the unit, the screen is just blank.

I pressed the left side of screen hoping it was on/off issue but same dead screen.
Eventually, 3~4 power down and on finally turns on the screen.

Anyone with similar dead screen issue? the fan was working so I know the unit getting the power even nothing appeared on the screen.
Very frustrating. does anyone know how to get in touch with the mfg service and what's the warranty period?
Unfortunately, 30days Amazon return window was closed now.
Order a new one return the old one with the new order

I took some pictures to better describe my setup without connecting RT to the 200.
Here is the BT menu on the 200, showing only my phone connected to both phone and media profiles...
View attachment 3081910
Here is the RT showing my phone. This says disconnected because CarPlay only uses BT to "handshake" and it actually connects through Wifi

View attachment 3081911

This is what a phone call looks like. No matter how the call is initiated, it routes through the 200's sound system as usual
View attachment 3081912

Here is what Media looks like. If new music is initiated on RT through Siri or music app, it may start playing on the RT, all I do to reroute to the sound system is hit the play/pause button. This rarely happens to me as I usually don't initiate Siri via the RT, but by saying Hey Siri or Using Siri eyes free button (hold answer call button on steering wheel)
View attachment 3081916
I hope this makes it more clear.

PS Notice that some times if you leave your car while running for example and you take your phone with you, upon returning the RT may not immediately connect, this happens to me even in my Ford Edge OEM CarPlay but it's easily solved by toggling the RT unit. On my Ford, I have to turn off the car...
@jefo13 Not sure what I did, but my text messages are now reading through the LC audio and not the RT box. Wasnt expecting that to happen, but Ill take it.

So everyone is still happy? Getting ready to pull the trigger on this over the EC unit. I’ve had issues in the past with them and not been happy with support and quirks

So everyone is still happy? Getting ready to pull the trigger on this over the EC unit. I’ve had issues in the past with them and not been happy with support and quirks
Does the EC unit work with the factory head unit? I think I have seen that in some videos. I would have gone that route and probably will soon. Mainly because it is less clutter in the windshield area. I guess I can always mount mine in a different spot but I guess you want it fairly visible.

I think if you don’t mind spending the $$ EC Off-Road might be a better option due to its OEM look. Cost was my driving reason to try this, however I have found with my setup where I do not connect the RT to the 200 I get to enjoy full functionality of all the screens simultaneously…

I really like mine. It has some quirks (dimming, wires exposed for power, can't get BT to work for sound so I'm using the 3.5mm audio out), but it connects wirelessly to my android phone every single time and still allows full access to the stock HVAC controls without switching systems.

Shameless plug: If anyone wants to try out a built in system, I've got my previous one for sale. It worked well, I just got tired of switching back and forth between screens.

Hi all, been researching the Road Top unit and stumbled upon this thread. Wondering what the latest firmware is available, if anyone has decompiled the associated binaries to see what makes these things tick, and if anyone else has had choppy bluetooth audio output which is corrected via a disconnect/reconnect.

Hi *,

I have the Second Gen unit boughth via Amazon. After contacting the RoadTop Support, I received a "GEMINI_PACK.BIN" file from them which I tried to update like described:
1. put the file on an USB stick
2. push the small reset button in the Audio Jack
3. turn on the unit.

But somehow either the USB stick is not recognized or the package is not accepted because I have different behaviour deppending on the USB stick.

1. with some USB sticks, the roadtop just boots into the menu
2. with some USB sticks the unit starts, the screen remains black and then nothing is happening.

The I tried with the USB stick inserted in th eUSB port to do the update from the menu.
That started the update but it failed and since then the unit is not booting to the menu anymore. It just goes to the logo screen and stays there.

Did you had this experience? Can somebody help?
Can somebody send my a link to the latest SW? I had originally the 2022.07.25.1.0.6.

I have also contacted the RoadTop support, but until now there is no reaction.

I was able to update the unit with the software package they emailed me as well. I'm not sure there were any notable updates in the unit that I can see at this point. I'd be happy to forward along to you if you would like.

I was able to update the unit with the software package they emailed me as well. I'm not sure there were any notable updates in the unit that I can see at this point. I'd be happy to forward along to you if you would like.
If you also have the V2, then Yes please send me update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom