How long have you owned your Cruiser? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is my 2nd FJ40. 1970 I be had about 10-12 years.
B865C456-D11C-477B-9663-E6A5A1BD0E0F.jpeg

My dad and I went in 50/50 in the fall of 1985 looking for something to kick around in the desert southwest. She’s still kicking with the original drivetrain but I’ve added mini-truck PS, the winch and upgraded suspension.

Edit: I posted this last night as I was falling asleep. You forget all the little things you've done to your truck through the years if you don't have a Build thread going... I added a big-cap FJ-60 distributor blessed and re-curved by Jim C, converted an inherited Holly carb to a Weber and then years later to a stock Aisin, replaced the original clutch a couple of years back and cleaned a bunch of stuff up while in their, and recently install a Champion aluminum radiator to deal with the ever increasing summer temps. My current project is rebuilding the mini-truck power steering box, its in the smallest of pieces at the moment and I hope I have what it takes to get the darn thing back together. This truck has taught me to get dirty and learn to do new things on my own.

Through all the years this truck has been an amazing companion and catalyst for connecting me to a truly unique community. I lost my father last fall, he led a full life and touched many. I'm blessed that we stopped by the side of the road in El Paso and decided to purchase this thing, as the life friends and relationships that have blossomed from this 3,800 lb chunk of iron has been more than just reward for a $2,500 down payment on this journey that is FJ40 ownership.

BE2BE894-9F83-4A65-A239-CD37202B735A.jpeg

Last edited:
Since Dec 1991 +/- 100,000 miles... 22years... Wish it was a nicer truck when I started.
In December it’ll be 31 years. Now on 3rd engine (2nd SBC), recently Scout II P/S, 33s, 3.70 gears, 8274 as of last x-mas, and just ironing out the last bugs after being off the road for 2+ years during COVID.

Now if I bump the key it’ll start and idle at 600 rpm. It’ll easily start in second gear despite 33s and 3.70 gears.

Next up will be TPI fuel injection. I’m a in no rush though since it runs and drives do nice with the SP2P intake and newish Edelbrock 1406 carb. EFI should help fuel economy some and theoretically low end torque. When gas is $6.50 USD per gallon, every improvement in economy helps.

I’m not sure how much improvement there is to be had in low end torque… with a carb it’ll pull from about 500 rpm in second gear high range. It’ll get grumpy if I give it too much throttle… but it does at least as well as the stock 6 did at low rpm (I know it’s blasphemy to say such things). But I’m always impressed in a Landcruiser when it’ll crawl along and I can start to distinguish the individual cylinders firing.

I bought my 45 eight years ago. But it didn’t look like this when I bought it.

View attachment 3085171

I’ve always liked 45s. Unfortunately, they aren’t built for 6’4” & 275 lb drivers. Fit well into a 40, but 45s not so much. The friend who recommended getting a 40 vs another old 4x4 said her 45 handled better than my 40.

Update
It has now been 50 years since I first brought her home. We just celebrated with a 1000 mile round trip to North Carolina ( from Florida). She wanted to go to the Carolina Relic Run for her 50th birthday. How could I say no? She still runs and drives great and looks awfully good for her age.

F7956EEE-45AF-448A-B422-8C0D45AA0FA7.jpeg

7E042898-BDA1-4B16-B346-070C42FC9638.jpeg

Thanks Smurf! I’m only 5’8” and it is a snug fit. My previous LC was a 76’ 40. The difference in ride and handling is day and night. The longer wheelbase is the major reason.
I’ve always liked 45s. Unfortunately, they aren’t built for 6’4” & 275 lb drivers. Fit well into a 40, but 45s not so much. The friend who recommended getting a 40 vs another old 4x4 said her 45 handled better than my 40.

I've had the '77 FJ40 for about 25+/- years. It now needs a lot of work and @cruiserinsanity plans on bringing it back to its former glory. It needs a new tub but we have front fenders, doors, top, and hood. 2F came from an '85 FJ60 and was rebuilt prior to installation. The H41 and t-case have some slop and should be gone through. This was my DD for a number of years and I miss driving it. FJ40 driving experience is like no other.

stuck 40_11.jpg

I bought my FJ40 this month in 1978 from Milo's Imports in Cheyenne, WY and it had 30 miles on the odometer. 44 years I have owned it, but have not been able to drive it since 1991 when I totaled it out hitting a 1991 F350 dually and totaled out the truck.

Now I am the stage in my life I can afford to rebuild it when I have time off from work.

The rear FJ60 axle has been converted to a full floater and will be complete once the use HD diff cover arrives, get the brake lines installed, and install new axle shafts. The rear axle has the original wheel hubs from the front axle and front axle disc brakes.

H55F transmission and split transfer case are here to be installed.

Hand brake parts are coming in and the installed on the hump and connected to the drum to the output shaft of the transfer case.

Once the rear axle is assembled the front axle will be removed and disassembled and assemble with FJ60 knuckles that are on site.

The list is long of the work to be done.

IMG_0353.JPG
1660592923121.jpeg

I bought my '79 FJ 55 in 1986 after fighting rust for 5 years in a 1970. I Think that makes 36 years. Family trips included a 6500 mile cross country run and this 3000 mile+ travel trailer trip to Disneyland, Death Valley and Grand Canyon. Factory 3.70 axles and 32" radials on splits made for some long slow uphill grades. Think Jerome Arizona if you've been there. Too many winter runs up to Manning Park BC, with their love of salt got the better of that perfect sheet metal. It took about 3 winters to ruin the car, but the wife insisted on these trips. Ok, the EX now... The rust never slept so I removed the body 2 years ago, and like so many of you also noted "It looked a little different back then" is an understatement in my case. I have a bunch of 46 and '47 ford trucks and parts trucks so fitted some of their sheet metal to the old chassis. Perfect summer runabout here on this 58 sq mile island. 196,000 miles, 2f never opened up, one clutch. Runs strong and smooth and remains utterly reliable. My kids drove it to high school and now my grandkids love it!

Death Valley 55 2.jpg

Death Valley 55 1.jpg

FJ 55 chassis.JPG

Foyota rear quarter.jpg

I bought this baby brand new in June 1975. Still have it and drive/use it on a regular basis.

This picture was taken 3 weeks ago
DB8385A9-0030-4E56-B790-A958A2F208F0.png

Wife, picture taken 3 years ago.
2B203F3B-A099-4A94-A792-162B54F8475C.png

The wife & her sister. Picture taken 35 years ago.
2269E0D2-85B9-41D7-B64C-8519E49C05D5.png

Last edited:
Landcruisers are like dogs... They actually ARE a part of the family

Gary, Ravin, Trooper and Miss Blue.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom