Builds ‘91 LHD Troopy - The Jag (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Okay so I’m in a bit on a quandary…

My back is really bad and may even need surgery. This will mean I’ll like loose my business as I’m a one man show and recovery is 3-6 months. So I’m looking at things to lessen the load on my family in the interim and think towards a future job that doesn’t require lifting.

My Troopy doesn’t have a/c, heat or power steering and needs a good once over. My 2021 Tundra I built to work out of with all the cool toys.

Do I sell my Tundra so that’s money in my families pocket and I can’t do real manual labor anymore. Sell the Troopy since it needs some major upgrades and if I pay someone I imagine we’re talking big money. Then buy a ready to go Cruiser? If I did I’m leaning towards HZJ77/78 or a 80 series diesel.

Or do I keep the Troopy and pay someone to do the work? Is there a Cruiser that’s better for parts sourcing? I really don’t wanna sell the Troopy, but I’m not seeing this get better.

If I sell the two and buy one I’m also dumping two insurance payments and going to one daily driver. Likely I’ll get a mediocre job to just help pay the bills.
Are you not a candidate for laser surgery (faster recovery)?

Bummer. If you don’t think the troopy will work for you in the long run, then maybe selling it now and the tundra would be the way to go. Then you will have some time to narrow down what you want to replace the troopy with.
As to jobs, maybe you could be a hotel shuttle driver, but this would require lifting bags in/out of the back, don’t know if that would work after you heal some.

Are you not a candidate for laser surgery (faster recovery)?
Dunno. We’re still working through it all. I’m going to get some quotes to have work done on the old girl. Maybe it’s an option. I think I’ll start by just paying off the truck so everything is paid for and see how things progress.

Okay so I’m in a bit on a quandary…

My back is really bad and may even need surgery. This will mean I’ll like loose my business as I’m a one man show and recovery is 3-6 months. So I’m looking at things to lessen the load on my family in the interim and think towards a future job that doesn’t require lifting.

My Troopy doesn’t have a/c, heat or power steering and needs a good once over. My 2021 Tundra I built to work out of with all the cool toys.

Do I sell my Tundra so that’s money in my families pocket and I can’t do real manual labor anymore. Sell the Troopy since it needs some major upgrades and if I pay someone I imagine we’re talking big money. Then buy a ready to go Cruiser? If I did I’m leaning towards HZJ77/78 or a 80 series diesel.

Or do I keep the Troopy and pay someone to do the work? Is there a Cruiser that’s better for parts sourcing? I really don’t wanna sell the Troopy, but I’m not seeing this get better.

If I sell the two and buy one I’m also dumping two insurance payments and going to one daily driver. Likely I’ll get a mediocre job to just help pay the bills.

No help to the LC issue, but speedy recovery either way.
Back issues are brutal. From my back issues, I didn't know pain like that was possible. It's off the scales.
I can say, seek alternatives to back surgery if possible.
No idea of your specific issues but I know a few who have had fusions and they regret it.

No help to the LC issue, but speedy recovery either way.
Back issues are brutal. From my back issues, I didn't know pain like that was possible. It's off the scales.
I can say, seek alternatives to back surgery if possible.
No idea of your specific issues but I know a few who have had fusions and they regret it.
I agree. I don’t want surgery at all, but I can’t take pills constantly. Every 4 hours I have to take something to function. It’s only been two months so there’s still time.

I agree. I don’t want surgery at all, but I can’t take pills constantly. Every 4 hours I have to take something to function. It’s only been two months so there’s still time.

That's rough.
If this was next year when my gig was done I'd head down to help you out.
Hope it works out man!

Hello,

Sorry to hear that.

Please look for a second opinion on the surgery.

If I remember correctly, you already sold the Troopie once and you were able to buy it back.

Maybe you can do that again. However, buying it back a second time might not be easy.

You can sell the Tacoma and keep the troop carrier. In this way you keep one car for your needs.

Remember that a Cruiser can operate with little maintenance. Any pending work can wait until you get better and you can find a way to do it.

Juan

Hello,

Sorry to hear that.

Please look for a second opinion on the surgery.

If I remember correctly, you already sold the Troopie once and you were able to buy it back.

Maybe you can do that again. However, buying it back a second time might not be easy.

You can sell the Tacoma and keep the troop carrier. In this way you keep one car for your needs.

Remember that a Cruiser can operate with little maintenance. Any pending work can wait until you get better and you can find a way to do it.

Juan
Yeah the working plan is to pay off the truck so that debt is gone and then find someone to make some improvements to the Troopy. After that we’ll see how things progress.

Yeah the working plan is to pay off the truck so that debt is gone and then find someone to make some improvements to the Troopy. After that we’ll see how things progress.

Hello,

Sounds good. One step at a time.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Juan

So I had my doc appointment today and we’re going to try one more shot and then surgery if it doesn’t work.
We’re going to keep the Tundra and Troopy. I may need to send it to @SNLC to have some work done.

Bought some goodies from Joe. Power steering parts, inside a/c parts, new external a/c system, some sheet metal, door glass, some inner fenders and some other goodies.
BE819785-FD84-4176-907B-5484264F5732.jpeg
4371FBF0-A51F-4729-90C4-0749809C14E5.jpeg
CA92BF34-68C2-452C-98B0-093B453D782A.jpeg
FAF99140-4657-4A7B-8FFC-14C9695AE52B.jpeg

Also got a power steering pump and these goodies.
2E9F9A32-6DDE-45C0-AD74-D8930A2D8B0B.jpeg
83665CA3-AB8E-427C-8921-B915215C96B0.jpeg

Picked up a power steering box I bought for the Troopy. Now to send it off to be rebuilt.
6AD42A4E-CCD7-4076-91A1-A3B237436112.jpeg

Awesome looking Troopy! What AC options have you found so far?

Awesome looking Troopy! What AC options have you found so far?
Thank you! @joekatana sells a kit for the 70 series and that's what I bought. My Troopy didn't have any a/c from the factory so I had to source all of that as well.

Anyone know a ballpark price to have a 1HDT & h55f put in my Troopy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom