Body Side molding question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bear Lake Cruiser

SILVER Star
Threads
Mine are in bad shape with paint and material flaking off. Body shop wants a lot of $$ to take them off, repaint and reinstall. Does anyone have experience with aftermarket ones such as these?

Mine are in bad shape with paint and material flaking off. Body shop wants a lot of $$ to take them off, repaint and reinstall. Does anyone have experience with aftermarket ones such as these?

A lot of guys use 3M vinyl. Mine was in really bad shape. The vinyl really improved the looks. Plus it was a fun little project.

if I can do it anyone can.

3M 1080 M230 Matte Gray Aluminum 5ft x 1ft (5 Sq/ft) Car Wrap Vinyl Film Amazon product ASIN B007EFOK64

I'm in the process of doing mine. Take them off, sand them, paint them. (I'll be using SEM Bumper Coat, and doing my bumpers in the same) It's not that hard, other than the 3 different types of clips you're going to need

I'm in the process of doing mine. Take them off, sand them, paint them. (I'll be using SEM Bumper Coat, and doing my bumpers in the same) It's not that hard, other than the 3 different types of clips you're going to need
I'm way too busy to do this myself. That's why I'm asking about experience with these aftermarket ones, plug and play so to speak. And very affordable.

Do you have a list of the three clip part numbers and the number of each required to do the entire vehicle?

NoVaGator...I bought the kit from China that started this thread. It got delivered fast. It came with the tape and clips on all 10 pieces. Looks great for only $129. Do you have any tips or tricks for removal of my current trim molding? I would guess the warmer the garage and plastic, the better. Just pry with standard plastic trim pry tools?

NoVaGator...I bought the kit from China that started this thread. It got delivered fast. It came with the tape and clips on all 10 pieces. Looks great for only $129. Do you have any tips or tricks for removal of my current trim molding? I would guess the warmer the garage and plastic, the better. Just pry with standard plastic trim pry tools?

I just used regular old pry tools, but I also used a plastic putty scraper (like you'd get a lowes or HD) in order to separate some of the molding tape. Most of it was pretty ragged though.

Front passenger door molding fell off the other day. We recovered it so we can just put it back on. I see the clips we need up thread (the clipsandfasteners 90467-12075). Do you need to do the 3M tape as well? If so, which one do people use and where do you put it? I assume around the edges like the old adhesive?

Is this the right tape, or do I need something else? Amazon product ASIN B00UZCAU9O

Front passenger door molding fell off the other day. We recovered it so we can just put it back on. I see the clips we need up thread (the clipsandfasteners 90467-12075). Do you need to do the 3M tape as well? If so, which one do people use and where do you put it? I assume around the edges like the old adhesive?

Is this the right tape, or do I need something else? Amazon product ASIN B00UZCAU9O
Yes that's the right stuff. The thinnest and most narrow you can get. But the key to good adhesion is to get the 3M adhesion promoter. It's a very thin liquid solvent of sorts. You apply it to the clean metal/plastic and the 3m moulding tape. Use the clips to help align and press into place. The clips may or may not fasten, they can be goofy but hold the trim in place till the adhesive sets which won't be long due to the adhesion promoter. Get it right the first time, the stuff sets up and holds tight fairly quickly.

I'm way too busy to do this myself. That's why I'm asking about experience with these aftermarket ones, plug and play so to speak. And very affordable.
Literally took me less time to 3m vinyl wrap them than it would have to take off the old, prep, and install all new siding.

Took about 30 minutes total for the vinyl.

The moldings pop off with your fingers or plastic pry.

Sometimes you damage the clip and sometimes they’re reusable.

The clips will pop out if you rotate them 90 degrees.

Remove old 2 sided tape.

Take to body shop and give em paint code to apply. They’ll put new 2 sided tape on and in the right places.

I ordered new clips so they were handy and reinstall was about 5 minutes.

Done this to both of my 100’s and it improved them a lot.

Yes that's the right stuff. The thinnest and most narrow you can get. But the key to good adhesion is to get the 3M adhesion promoter. It's a very thin liquid solvent of sorts. You apply it to the clean metal/plastic and the 3m moulding tape. Use the clips to help align and press into place. The clips may or may not fasten, they can be goofy but hold the trim in place till the adhesive sets which won't be long due to the adhesion promoter. Get it right the first time, the stuff sets up and holds tight fairly quickly.
Hey, I'm about to order a set of the ebay trim as well . How is yours holding up , was it worth it? Mine are pretty chewed up and faded so this would be a nice fix.

I was worried they were to glossy gold, can you post some pictures ?

Hey, I'm about to order a set of the ebay trim as well . How is yours holding up , was it worth it? Mine are pretty chewed up and faded so this would be a nice fix.

I was worried they were to glossy gold, can you post some pictures ?
They are doing well but unfortunately I cant send you any pictures as Goldie is up at my Idaho house and I am in Arizona.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom