Unobtainium (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

the issue is see there is it does NOT come with the needed float sensor equipped cap ?

so how is the lack of that addressed ...........

there DISC. / Available

i have been working on a OEM or otherwise solution there for some time , and i have hit a brick wall with emails to and from AISIN / ADVICS USA or Japan period .....

AISIN / ADVICS does not want to play ball it seams ? :confused:

simply sadd..........
The float cap is not really needed. It was also specced with a regular rubber cap by Toyota in certain markets so using a plain cap would still make it correct to my mind

In US vernacular, perhaps. Other countries use a calender year (which is the 1st of January of a year to the 31st of December) as the year to denote the model year. We are discussing Japanese designed and made products, which were exported to the US and other countries then, as they are now.

The problem with that is Toyota decided to follow US auto manufacturers and make their model year changes during year in most cases. 8/80 Toyota made huge changes to the running in the 40 series. The US is not a kit market like Venezuela. Africa, Australia,
New Zealand and Columbia were markets that locally made parts were used to finish the vehicle. Only complete vehicles were ship here. The owner's manuals have year on from the early seventies on. If a 40 series had split transfer owner's manuals would be 81 or newer. Can understand in markets where Toyota did not have control over when a kit was put together or completed with locally made parts would be hard to control model year. But complete vehicles shipped from Japan did. If you had a late 40 or 70 series finished in Venezuela you can forget looking up rear axle parts in Toyota's parts system. It has a Dana rear axle. Same with a 40 series hard top from Columbia. In I said I needed a input transfer case gear for a 9/80 built 40 series the 8/80 date is important not the calendar year it was built in. Saying a 81 model for the gear would get you the right verses a 80 model. Model year not calendar year will get you the right part far more times. 1980 is a prime example. 8/80 engine, transmission, transfer case, axles and springs all had changes. Parts that may become available thru the Heritage Program will be by that date not January 1st.

T

The 80+ single reservoir unit. Side line exit for OE front discs, top line exit for OE front drums which was not US spec

1/80-7/80 did not use this parts in the general market. This was a 8/80 change not a calendar year change. 1/75 and 1/79 are the only two years that January really matter in finding parts.

The problem with that is Toyota decided to follow US auto manufacturers and make their model year changes during year in most cases. 8/80 Toyota made huge changes to the running in the 40 series. The US is not a kit market like Venezuela. Africa, Australia,
New Zealand and Columbia were markets that locally made parts were used to finish the vehicle. Only complete vehicles were ship here. The owner's manuals have year on from the early seventies on. If a 40 series had split transfer owner's manuals would be 81 or newer. Can understand in markets where Toyota did not have control over when a kit was put together or completed with locally made parts would be hard to control model year. But complete vehicles shipped from Japan did. If you had a late 40 or 70 series finished in Venezuela you can forget looking up rear axle parts in Toyota's parts system. It has a Dana rear axle. Same with a 40 series hard top from Columbia. In I said I needed a input transfer case gear for a 9/80 built 40 series the 8/80 date is important not the calendar year it was built in. Saying a 81 model for the gear would get you the right verses a 80 model. Model year not calendar year will get you the right part far more times. 1980 is a prime example. 8/80 engine, transmission, transfer case, axles and springs all had changes. Parts that may become available thru the Heritage Program will be by that date not January 1st.

1/80-7/80 did not use this parts in the general market. This was a 8/80 change not a calendar year change. 1/75 and 1/79 are the only two years that January really matter in finding parts.
While it is indeed so that certain markets had CKD Cruisers, if you use the world's biggest Cruiser market as an example (Australia) you will see in the 40's that in the early seventies the difference to US 40's is limited to a Toyota produced rear crossmember, taillights and sometimes Australian automotive glass safety markings. On the later models, markings only. On the 45's, the loadbin/tray was locally made since it was sold as a cab-chassis, as it is now still done. That's about it.

Yes, South American 40's and 45's differ vastly sometimes in terms of Mercedes motor, rear Dana axle and fiberglass hard top configurations, but I don't think it is accurate for you to use a single continent and extrapolate it to the rest of the world.

I also don't think it is accurate for you to use a single model change date (in this case the 8/80 change) and extrapolate it to the rest of the 40 production years and then to suggest that Toyota followed the US tradition not long before it stopped shipping 40's to the US is absurd and conceited.

Before and after this date, model changes occurred, amongst others, on 04/72, 01/75, 09/76, 12/76, 09/77, 04/79 and 10/82. Seems clear that Toyota made changes when it deemed it appropriate, not to blindly follow a US model change custom.

@Living in the Past excellent info, and this is exactly why these imported trucks are far less valuable than domestic units. This point should be argued with anyone who is trying to sell an import truck at a domestic price.
Umm, all 40's are imports to the US. None were ever produced or assembled in the US. You may want to reconsider the generalist statement and rather qualify it as to what country the Cruiser was imported from into the US and where it spent its previous life.

Before and after this date, model changes occurred, amongst others, on 04/72, 01/75, 09/76, 12/76, 09/77, 04/79 and 10/82. Seems clear that Toyota made changes when it deemed it appropriate, not to blindly follow a US model change custom.

4/72 was the start of the ambulance doors on a hard top. 4/79 was the fuel door opening on the side. 5/80 spare tire carrier changed to include another vertical brace. 2/76 was the date Canada had it's own listing in North America. I know even US auto makers are making small changes during year. Inless they are trying to highlight a change US makers do not change the model year they are calling a vehicle. While not perfect most changes we call model year were changes on all Japanese made 40 series. Even if parts on a front drum brake axle changes to the knuckle crossed over to disc and drum. Also found Toyota changed to the one piece side doors 7/74 in Australia, six months ahead of the rest of the world in Australia.

T

The 80+ single reservoir unit. Side line exit for OE front discs, top line exit for OE front drums which was not US spec

I should have just pointed out this did not apply to the first seven months of 1980 and avoided this whole model year debate.

And only the US had the plate with the model year indicated.
For the rest of the world the only direct information we have regarding year is the first registration... Back then the 40 would take a while to arrive from Japan so typically over here most of the 1974 got registered in 1975 creating a lot of confusion on when the wipers and doors changed.

On the other side I used to own a 1st gen rav4 phase2 (which means 1998+ model year) that had been first registered on 31/12/97 creating confusion if it was a phase1 or 2 x)

Toyota changed to the one piece side doors 7/74 in Australia, six months ahead of the rest of the world in Australia.
Wondering if it's related to a regulation of some sort or just to experiment 🤔

Same period also, the front indicators changed from the rectangular to the square ones on 02/74 in most of the world while in the US the change was only on 01/75. My theory always has been that in the US they probably homologate the lights with the model year and could not change freely anytime. Or maybe unwillingness to homologate the BJ40 with the old indicators and create 24V versions.

Wow 😯!

Lots of interesting Tech. & FAQ. here in today’s Ubintanion discussion …

Let’s have a photos or it does not exist summery shall we :

Umm, all 40's are imports to the US. None were ever produced or assembled in the US. You may want to reconsider the generalist statement and rather qualify it as to what country the Cruiser was imported from into the US and where it spent its previous life.
Umm, That's a given. Every cruiser/truck on this forum is "imported", therefore its not a generalist statement. If your any sort of a cruiser head or Toyota guy at all, you know this. The context was purely in terms of the markets in which the trucks were intended for. If you don't understand a particular post, maybe its because you're not reading the thread before it. Do you understand now?

Umm, That's a given. Every cruiser/truck on this forum is "imported", therefore its not a generalist statement. If your any sort of a cruiser head or Toyota guy at all, you know this. The context was purely in terms of the markets in which the trucks were intended for. If you don't understand a particular post, maybe its because you're not reading the thread before it. Do you understand now?
I understand quite well that you referred to South American restorations which are on the US market, just think it is unfair to group all Cruisers intended for markets other than the US as inferior. There are poor and excellent examples found all over the place. But let us not clog up this thread further and rather find some unobtainium parts to showcase.

Wow - lots of angst for this place. I think build date is what really matters on these parts, for example I owned a ‘9/75 build ‘76 FJ40 (US market) that had disk brakes, the master cylinder posted by @Racer65 and the short booster from the ‘75 (US market) drum brake FJ40. I now own a ‘9/76 build ‘76 FJ40 (US market) with the same brakes/master & the long ‘77 style brake booster. I’d always heard the model year changed in Sep, but the title clearly says 1976. I’m sure it gets muddier in other markets ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tucker

Aisin just told me that've discontinued BMT-230, the master cylinder used for '76 to '80 FJ40. I almost spilled my lunch. If you're a vendor carrying Aisin, please send feedback to their management to express that this is one item they cannot discontinue. I've already done so, but we need more voices.

View attachment 3082589
I got the following response from Aisin:

I am not sure if you received a response back from our sales team but this unit was discontinued due to low sales volume for Aisin. While it may be a popular part for your business, our manufacturing team looks at our overall sales demand as well as the cost of manufacturing the part, especially if the tooling is in need of repair/replacement. Given that the master cylinder you were seeking is for applications over 40 years old, you can hopefully understand why we have seen sales demand decline and the decision to discontinue production was made.

Thank you for your interest in Aisin products.

Last edited:
@Racer65 Aisin is another one of many Japanese companies that have become diluted in their culture by America. They are driven purely by the dollar and not by a balance of profit and value added monozukuri. Aisin doesn't "make" a water pump for the 75 FJ40. I was looking at the different pump offerings and noticed that the 76 model is identical minus the lower port. I emailed them about making the proper pump and I got a similar response. I tried reasoning with them that they simply needed to omit the drilling of the port, like GMB and others do, and they would instantly have the application covered, no developmental work required and everything is already in place. NOPE, not going to do it! You would think they could do small batches, as a changeover isn't even needed, literally omit the drilling from the STW instructions, attach a new Kanban with different part number and BAM, more business opportunity. Hell, they could pull one mid process and have it "custom" made if they really cared about their customer. What it boils down to is, your either part of a large customer base that we can make tons of money from, or the heck with you, go away, there is no in between.

I got the following response from Aisin:

I am not sure if you received a response back from our sales team but this unit was discontinued due to low sales volume for Aisin. While it may be a popular part for your business, our manufacturing team looks at our overall sales demand as well as the cost of manufacturing the part, especially if the tooling is in need of repair/replacement. Given that the master cylinder you were seeking is for applications over 40 years old, you can hopefully understand why we have seen sales demand decline and the decision to discontinue production was made.

Thank you for your interest in Aisin products.

Beans being duly-counted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom