NC LX becomes NC LC (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Don't need glass to be legal in Alabama. Just wipers. Pop some goggles on and bring it.

2 new Calipers due to a Sticky brake caliper. Went ahead and changed both of them with new caliper bolts.

@Zjohnsonua showed me a useful resource on Oriellys website. You can search the size and length of a brake line. Found a 24” BMW line with an m10 fitting in stock locally.

0B1751CB-C85E-4C3B-B164-4F285EC692AC.jpeg

Documenting Rear 80 axle install for future reference.

Due to a mix up, I ended up with ARBs for a full floating, non c-clip. I didn’t realize this until I had already set up the the ARB and 4.88s. Instead Of back tracking, this is where the 80 rear full floater enters.

Axle was sourced from a 97 LX450. A few nights of cleaning the housing and it was ready to install. It’s amazing how perfect the 80 axle fits in the back of the 60.

3EE05552-839B-40D6-8AAE-B5012ED2C9B2.jpeg

Prepping the 60 fuse box for EFI. I don’t like the idea of have random inline fuses powering things. For future simplicity and a favor to anyone that may work on the truck in the future, I like the idea of having all the fuses in one location. Removed a few pins from a spare 60 fuse box and added them to open spots on my 60 fuse box.
With the dash back in, it will look completely stock.
4DF44404-AFC6-4A9C-BEBD-BFDBB6FAF36F.jpeg
E27E9A64-0948-4668-9B56-177A75803675.jpeg

2 new Calipers due to a Sticky brake caliper. Went ahead and changed both of them with new caliper bolts.

@Zjohnsonua showed me a useful resource on Oriellys website. You can search the size and length of a brake line. Found a 24” BMW line with an m10 fitting in stock locally.

Just be careful of Inverted Flare vs Bubble. It bit me a time or two going this route, so I went to a local hose and hydraulic shop and they made me exactly what I wanted in length, fittings, and braided stainless for about $40

Yup. It's not perfect. That's a feature of that tool that is lacking. Beats the hell out of Advance's attack of pop-ups though. I figure if you're enough of a parts guy to care to use that tool, then you're good enough to pull a few options and grab the ones that checks all your boxes when you go to the counter.

Just be careful of Inverted Flare vs Bubble. It bit me a time or two going this route, so I went to a local hose and hydraulic shop and they made me exactly what I wanted in length, fittings, and braided stainless for about $40
I’m still looking for that shop here in Huntsville. Now that @Zjohnsonua showed me how to search I may not ever need to have one made. We have a store here that’s stays pretty stocked. I actually finished my efi today and they had the random GM accelerator cable in stock. I was able to search the length and what was in stock.

Last edited:
95% done with the Howell EFI. What can I say, It works. It works really well. With the 4.88s and EFI it feels like I did a motor swap.

84DA2462-8ADC-4850-AA41-F1F6A3D325DB.jpeg

It’s not a perfect kit but it will get your 2F idling. I’ll add some thoughts and pictures in a future post.

Put Jack on pause this week. We’re hosting a birthday party in two weeks with a inflatable water slide. I convinced my better half to have it in the garage. Wet kids wouldn’t be running inside and out of the house and the adults could stay cool in the a/c. This gave me permission to spend some money out there. I took the old ballast lights out and added 8 low profile leds. Its going to make it so much easier to work and see what I’m doing. The old brown paint made it feel like a cave.

545BE73D-5A4A-4386-A93E-F65AEA9A829F.jpeg

DCFD2FA6-10AB-4746-9554-4E04D9A37D34.jpeg

4256BE9B-847B-4AF3-8783-FD11286E0DC9.jpeg

Lighting is getting sorted and Glass is going in. I finally got the OEM front glass gasket. Thanks to @RocketCityCrzrs for assisting in getting it. Glass should be going in Tuesday. Had one little spot I had to cut out and patch.

I should of spent a little more time prepping, but wasn’t sure when the glass guy was coming. The rot is removed and the imperfections will be covered. Not sure when I’ll get to it but the Plan is to paint the roof and pillars white so I went ahead and painted behind the gasket.
1F085C60-719A-42CE-B709-5BBC4FE416AA.jpeg

Going through the wiring I realized my running lights were not working. Having the dash still out makes it easy to chase gremlins. Traced it down to the Tail light Relay and the trigger wire isnt working. Instead of diving further I changed the relay to trip when the key is on. I like have the running light on all the time. I remember in an engineering class when we looked at the data on the reduction in accidents when you have daytime running lights. Anything to give me better odds to come home, I’m for.

On to the back windows. I had a set of Flip up windows that I had ordered out of the Brisbane, Australia. The old window frame was in great shape so minimal prepping was done. Forgot to take pictures, but I used 80 grit, filler primer and brushed inside/outside with some left over paint from the firewall. Installation took about half the time of prepping. Fit and finish was spot on and it came with tinted windows. From this point forward they will be referred to a my beverage access portals. Seems appropriate considering how “Jack” came to be.
26259BBA-428C-466F-A5DA-807690B1D500.jpeg

The rear hatch and tailgate is going together. I pulled the original 86hatch out of storage and reinstalled it with some new shiny hardware. I swear it makes Jack drive better. It still has the original hardware, glass and sweet Asheville stickers. I can run it while I prep the 83 hatch for paint.

D2C3699B-86B0-4F3A-926D-0E72DFCEEE87.jpeg

Glass is going in tomorrow. Stripped the roof and cleaned the rain gutters down to the spot welds. Welded up a few small spots and seem sealer around the gutters.
83BE4D71-56D3-40A4-91BA-E2E5B72DDFF1.jpeg

Pulled it out in the field and sprayed the roof. Bowfin rack will cover it so the few imperfections aren’t on my radar currently.

8AF85B3A-5A3F-4B74-85AB-C85D6E6BAD7A.jpeg

Last edited:
Can’t wait to finally see you in a cruiser again for OTMT. Unfortunately all of my truck projects are on hold until my house is empty and on the market. Maybe @AJR and I will be ready near the end of the year for another KY trip, this time all in 60 series?

Can’t wait to finally see you in a cruiser again for OTMT. Unfortunately all of my truck projects are on hold until my house is empty and on the market. Maybe @AJR and I will be ready near the end of the year for another KY trip, this time all in 60 series?
I get it. Better than most. Life doesn't always agree with my camping plans either. OTMT will be a shake down run. I'll be better prepared for DBBB. Maybe I can even convince some of the local 60/62s here to tag along....cough cough.. @Zjohnsonua

I'm fueled up and ready to go. Get that truck built!

Glass is in. Went on a run down the Hwy for the first time in almost 2 years. A few initial driving impressions

• It’s not bad around town. Takes off quick, easily merges in traffic.
  • Tracks straight, which was the big one. Did my angles right.
  • According to GPS Around 55mph 2500 rpm.
  • With out the interior and nothing between me and the gear box, The H42 felt like it was screaming at me. (Realized it was low on gear oil. Added a qt and it seems much happier.
  • I kept looking for 5 gear. H55 would be nice.
  • Fuel gauge isn’t correct, Guage was reading below 1/4. Stopped to top it off and it only took 3 gallons.
  • Exhaust leak at the manifold feels like it getting louder. Could be the lack of interior and speed not seen yet.
Really happy. Time to start digging through bins and get the interior somewhat together.
B80B95F4-1590-41E2-9561-BE1168231696.jpeg

60 fuel senders are serviceable. Remove it, and pop the housing open. Clear out the rusty schmoo and get the wiper running on clean nichrome. You'll be good as new.

I got the keys to the playground this morning. Local wrecking yard let me wander around and find what i needed.
FEE536AF-53AD-432B-B279-A44AD8A66950.jpeg

Sometime in 2020 I purchased a new Aisin e-brake handle and 60 e-brake cable. Installing them last night I couldn't find what I did with my "equalizer parking brake" bracket. Part number 46341-31010. Pretty frustrating since i've had one as recent when I stripped the 80 axle.

Luckily I was able to find one under a late 90's 4runner. It worked out because I was able to get the hardware and bushings. Fit perfectly.
02DAD0B3-9376-41AF-B437-01C10D5E1522.jpeg

A trip to Lowes for 5' of cable and I was able to lengthen the 60 cable on the 80 rear.

5951B330-48C6-420F-9C6F-6B06C99B14BC.jpeg

Nice pull. Question, though, is the main cable run from the body to the axle as tight as it appears?

Nice pull. Question, though, is the main cable run from the body to the axle as tight as it appears?
It’s a bad picture. E brake was on.

The mount at the frame was altered when the frame was on the ground at the salvage yard. Moving it back into place will help move the cable over to driver a few inches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom