Portland Area Noob (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That’s a good looking rig!! Looks like you have a lift on there?

5W-30 in the middle of the hot azz your manifolds on a sunny summer day is simply the incorrect viscosity , your hurting your new to you 60 2F , bottom line

- do not start off on the wrong tire / foot here ,
: " and got whatever the parts store had. " :confused:

you simply can't think like this having a 37+ year old nice its a survivor UNICORN rig like you have going on.....

do you have a factory owners glove box manual by chance ? if not get one ! if you indeed have one , stop for a moment and read it in-dept from cover to cover please ....

then you will better understand what it is Technically i am trying communicate here :

in the mean time , grab a few cold ones , and starting with Part 1 first in that order digest my recently produced Technical and T-TEN Tutorial Videos below , this will

help foster a do it by the FSM mindset approach with any future needed maintenance and or repair job scopes ........

matt

Thanks for the videos! I do need to get my hands on an owners manual somewhere. Although, I don’t know if Mobile 1 high mileage (yes with a little bit low low-end viscosity rating) and K&N filter is really hurting my engine. With mostly mild temps and also, mostly morning driving, the low-end viscosity should perform fine in the PNW winter, which is coming. The “whatever the parts store had” comment had to do with the Wix air filter. The one that was in the rig when I bought it was NOT going back in. So, yes. I took the only filter the parts store had. I see how I misled with that.

That’s a good looking rig!! Looks like you have a lift on there?

Thankyou. Yes, OME 2.5 inch lift. 33's will fit on an non lifted truck without much trouble if you went that route. With the stock gearing, they lower your engine RPM slightly at highway speeds. Lots of folks don't like what 33's do to these trucks in normal driving. Perfectly fine to me. Not sure they help in snowy conditions but the narrow 10.50 track would probably help you some in snow. We don't get snow where I am so its not something I think about. BFG A/Ts for me. Have run them on all my trucks over the years and just love them.

I would have to agree with @ToyotaMatt that 5W-30 really is kinda light oil for the 2F engine, especially in Summer. Something at least 10W would prolly be a good starting point. I didn't see the mileage count for your truck anywhere but I think I would get something a little heavier. HTH.

Thankyou. Yes, OME 2.5 inch lift. 33's will fit on an non lifted truck without much trouble if you went that route. With the stock gearing, they lower your engine RPM slightly at highway speeds. Lots of folks don't like what 33's do to these trucks in normal driving. Perfectly fine to me. Not sure they help in snowy conditions but the narrow 10.50 track would probably help you some in snow. We don't get snow where I am so its not something I think about. BFG A/Ts for me. Have run them on all my trucks over the years and just love them.

I would have to agree with @ToyotaMatt that 5W-30 really is kinda light oil for the 2F engine, especially in Summer. Something at least 10W would prolly be a good starting point. I didn't see the mileage count for your truck anywhere but I think I would get something a little heavier. HTH.
31x10.5 is all I’m looking for. I was just being silly with the “stuff the biggest tires” stuff. That stuff gets lost in text, which I forget. I agree with @ToyotaMatt, too. Next oil change is definitely gonna be thicker.

I do need to get my hands on an owners manual somewhere.

SOR sells repro manuals for these trucks:

manual.jpg

Edit: What said manual has to say about oil viscosity for the 2F motor:

oilviscosity.jpg

HTH.

Last edited:
31x10.5 is all I’m looking for. I was just being silly with the “stuff the biggest tires” stuff. That stuff gets lost in text, which I forget. I agree with @ToyotaMatt, too. Next oil change is definitely gonna be thicker.

The correct oil viscosity topic is not a wait till next oil change FAQ , it’s a here and now TECH. Action you need to remedy here now

Your climate zone is seeing record heat today and unless you plan on not driving your new to you FJ60 till the first winter ❄️ frost you have the wrong engine oil in there and it needs to be corrected be means of replacement .

My tech video on the Viscosity topic shows the same exact owners manual chart that @Gretsch shows you on his center console above

The charts are real facts u you need to adhere to

For tires, either the 30x9.5x15 or 31x10.5x15 BFG AT is what many use on stock suspension. BFGs tend to run a bit small.

Winter commuting? Shirley you can't be serious. FJ60s (and all the rest) rust at even the hint of excess moisture.

WE need more details too. WHere is it from? Miles? More pics of the engine and underside as well.

The correct oil viscosity topic is not a wait till next oil change FAQ , it’s a here and now TECH. Action you need to remedy here now

Your climate zone is seeing record heat today and unless you plan on not driving your new to you FJ60 till the first winter ❄️ frost you have the wrong engine oil in there and it needs to be corrected be means of replacement .

My tech video on the Viscosity topic shows the same exact owners manual chart that @Gretsch shows you on his center console above

The charts are real facts u you need to adhere to
Thanks!! I may not get the rig back from the shop before winter at the rate they are finding things that need to be addressed!

For tires, either the 30x9.5x15 or 31x10.5x15 BFG AT is what many use on stock suspension. BFGs tend to run a bit small.

Winter commuting? Shirley you can't be serious. FJ60s (and all the rest) rust at even the hint of excess moisture.

WE need more details too. WHere is it from? Miles? More pics of the engine and underside as well.
Ha! This rig is doomed in PNW!

Mostly owned in Colorado, this rig has 194k miles on it.
4E6564DD-1F42-47F6-8155-CE878CD1DD35.jpeg
54FB68C4-749E-488B-A062-E217A995AD57.jpeg
5CBBAC54-67A0-480F-BDB2-F9A8AA607FBE.jpeg

I know I'm going to get slammed for this. First, let me say that I love land cruisers. I've owned them for 35+ years, starting with a FJ45LV. But the truth is that old cuisers do not make a good daily driver (if you put on any miles that is). They are expensive to run and maintain, Compared to a modern car, they are not particularly safe. They are loud, handle poorly, etc. And they don't do particularly well when it is slick out. My wife's Subaru (heck even my Infiniti) is so, so much better when it is slick out. I know they are super cool, but be honest with yourself about the vehicle. I'd use it as an adventure rig and drive something else for the mundane task of getting you and your family from point A to point B safely. As always, JMHO.

By the way, good score.

Last edited:
Reminds me of my 60 when I bought it. One thing I learned is make it what you want and intend it for.
5F0383E7-C41F-4564-9B78-934F45C63DAF.jpeg

I live in the Cascade Foothills out past Eagle Creek, Oregon if you ever wanted to meet up.

I know I'm going to get slammed for this. First, let me say that I love land cruisers. I've owned them for 35+ years, starting with a FJ45LV. But the truth is that old cuisers do not make a good daily driver (if you put on any miles that is). They are expensive to run and maintain, Compared to a modern car, they are not particularly safe. They are load, handle poorly, etc. And they don't do particularly well when it is slick out. My wife's Subaru (heck even my Infiniti) is so, so much better when it is slick out. I know they are super cool, but be honest with yourself about the vehicle. I'd use it as an adventure rig and drive something else for the mundane task of getting you and your family from point A to point B safely. As always, JMHO.

By the way, good score.
Good for you, putting yourself out there!! To be honest, a “daily driver” for me isn’t exactly that. I work shift work, so I’ll drive into work(about 17 miles) and a day or two later, I’ll drive home. We have one of those new Jeep Grand Cherokee L things for the family. So that’s what I/we take for most daily errands and longer trips. I’ll be taking the 60 to the golf course and to the river for some steelhead. In a few years I can see getting back to the mountains in the winter for some snowboarding, too. So when I say daily driver, it’s a little misleading. I just want this truck to run well and be reliable enough.

I can see your position on these vehicles being less safe than modern ones. No airbags, no antilock brakes, no crumple zones poor lighting(until I upgrade😁), only lap belts in the back seat, etc. I sold my ‘18 Tacoma to get this Land Cruiser. I have found that I’m spoiled and lazy when it comes to driving. I don’t have blind spot monitoring, rear view camera, adaptive cruise control or any other of the modern conveniences to make the drive easier.

I didn’t buy this 60 for the practicality of it. I bought this 60 to wrench on. To make my own. I wanted to get back to driving a truck that demanded that I drive it! The family will ride in this from time to time, after the new rear 3 point seatbelts from Seatbelt Planet arrive that is. But this rig is for me, not for the family. A little selfish I know.

I may be slammed for this! In a few years, when the Jeep is payed off. I want to get a Ford Lightning or similar to really be a daily driver/commuter. Get away from having to use gas just to get to work. And then I’ll have a sweet fixed up 60 to drive into the mountains and truck to run errands in.

I can dream I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom