Climate control issues LX570 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So we had 3-4” of wet heavy snow last night and I’m having climate control gremlins now…. I can hear the fan running but no air is coming out of any of the vents. Figured out that I’m having the front cowl leak again…. Took out the glove box filter and it is soaked and there is water on the passenger floor.

Any ideas?

E99A56BB-CD4A-4C80-9A7F-B46A8A37EA6C.jpeg

Have you done work previously on the cowl?

That’s some early termination dust……

Was it parked with the nose pointing downhill?

Seems to be a quick ticket to water ingress..

I’d pull relevant fuses for now and dry it out then see whether normal function comes back after that. Next step would be opening the harness connectors and checking for damage.

Have you done work previously on the cowl?

That’s some early termination dust……
Yes, I had the leak about 2 years ago and fixed it (seems like temporarily) with weather stripping. I went ahead and ordered a new cowl.

The snow was unexpected. Prior to 2 weeks ago we were having an pretty good summer, highs in the 60’s and no rain. Last 2-3 weeks been more like 40’s and 50’s and rain most days. Snow line was predicted to be at 2000’ and I’m at ~1500’.

Last edited:
Was it parked with the nose pointing downhill?

Seems to be a quick ticket to water ingress..

I’d pull relevant fuses for now and dry it out then see whether normal function comes back after that. Next step would be opening the harness connectors and checking for damage.
It was parked pretty flat. I pulled the cabin filter and left the door and glove box open. Also pulled the trap door above the passenger foot well (which was soaked) and let it all dry out. This morning it was all working, so I guess whatever had to dry did.

Did you also pull up the carpet etc?

As well that passenger side kick panel?

Most of the water drained on my all weather Husky mat, which I leave in year round. The carpet under the mat was slightly damp. Haven’t pulled the kick panel but probably will when I have some time. This was similar water inclusion to last time I had this ~2 years ago when I did weather stripping. Everything seems to be good for now. I’ll update when my new cowl arrives and I pull everything apart.

update for the good of the group. Cowl leak again…. Replaced with a new one… again. For those of you that ever remove it the small tabs that hold it in place are almost impossible to not brake when you remove it. Once they are broken you have to replace the entire cowl. Next time I need a windshield (on my 3rd) I’m going to remove and reinstall the cowl myself.

These tabs I’m referring to and the new cowl.

03B9BFCB-6B9C-4407-840F-F6214DBAA3EB.jpeg

image.jpg

update for the good of the group. Cowl leak again…. Replaced with a new one… again. For those of you that ever remove it the small tabs that hold it in place are almost impossible to not brake when you remove it. Once they are broken you have to replace the entire cowl. Next time I need a windshield (on my 3rd) I’m going to remove and reinstall the cowl myself.

These tabs I’m referring to and the new cowl.

View attachment 3120747

View attachment 3120748
What do those catch on?

What do those catch on?
The cowl slides on the bottom of the windshield those tabs then click downward in these metal slots to hold it in place. There is one in each of these 3 windows and 5 in all.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Did the replacment cowl fix your leak? I think I have the same issue. Windshield was replaced in October and now I have had a couple times where the cabin air filter was soaked and not allowing air to flow.

Do you have a PN for the cowl? Thanks!
The cowl slides on the bottom of the windshield those tabs then click downward in these metal slots to hold it in place. There is one in each of these 3 windows and 5 in all.

View attachment 3120960

View attachment 3120961

coleAK, I though these two videos are interesting in view of the problem you encountered. In fact eye opening to all 200 series owners.

IMO, once you are in there it is worth considering the water "deflector" approach, although many proud Toyota Land Cruiser owners will no doubt find this sub standard and rather have leaks and problems... :rofl:

interesting solution to prevent water getting into the air filter and re-circ box...
1705950095666.png

Did the replacment cowl fix your leak? I think I have the same issue. Windshield was replaced in October and now I have had a couple times where the cabin air filter was soaked and not allowing air to flow.

Do you have a PN for the cowl? Thanks!
Yes it fixed it 100%

And unfortunately I’m due another windshield this spring (this will be my 4th..). My plan is to remove the cowl before I take it to get the glass put in.

Here is the old one with the numbers on it.

IMG_0951.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom