GX470 Wheel/Tire/Lift Picture Combination Thread (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

• Kenda RT 35x10.5r17
  • ALPHAequipt Foxtrox 17x7.5" wheels
  • Factory 4Runner TRD Pro Fox IBP shocks (begging for mercy with all the weight)
  • Dobinson 749V rear springs
  • Icon 650lb 13" front springs
  • 2" top hat spacer lift in front
  • JBA HD UCAs
  • SPC Jounceshock hydraulic bumps on all 4 corners, front jounce shafts extended to compensate for the top hate spacers
  • 1/2" body lift
  • DRT Fab CMR
Doesn't rub on pavement but has way more clearance than I thought. Need to flex it out after I rebuild my UBJs. May lengthen the rear links to push the axle back some but tires will swing rearward under compression so may not have to.

View attachment 3040035
New to the offroad community here and just picked up 35s for my GX. Did you have to regear for this lift and tire setup?

New to the offroad community here and just picked up 35s for my GX. Did you have to regear for this lift and tire setup?
@COQP Welcome! It seems you've fallen into the mod trap!

No you don't have to re gear but it might drive like slug 0-60 compared to stock and you wont have the same torque in low range but it will still be fine for cruising on highway...but be prepared for your MPG's to drop to like 12ish-15ish city/hwy...it will go back up if you re gear though.

You'll deff also need to do a body mount chop to not rub at full lock of the wheel on u-turns, etc. and also hammer flat the pinch weld behind the inner fender wall as much as possible to not rub the wheel well at full flex on rockier/tougher trails.

I'm running 34" MT Toyo's, factory gx rims + 1.25in spacers w/ stock gears - my 0-60 pickup is sluggish but not bothersome and I had to do all of those things to not rub so chances are you will too especially if you will be running spacers or a wider rim which you'll have to do for 35's unless you want to squeeze them on the stock rim, but ideally you'd have something 8" or wider.

Once you do those things and get it properly offroad you'll see relatively quickly where it rubs most and what needs more attention from your hammer, grinder etc!

Last edited:
Change number #3

Toyotec 2.0 front with 700# spring
Toytec 2.0 rear with OME 895
285/70r17 Cooper ST Maxx
17x8.5 AEV XR Salta +5mm offset

0F4786F6-4AC6-4E48-B89E-8D75E630A9CC.jpeg

@COQP Welcome! It seems you've fallen into the mod trap!

No you don't have to re gear but it might drive like slug 0-60 compared to stock and you wont have the same torque in low range but it will still be fine for cruising on highway...but be prepared for your MPG's to drop to like 12ish-15ish city/hwy...it will go back up if you re gear though.

You'll deff also need to do a body mount chop to not rub at full lock of the wheel on u-turns, etc. and also hammer flat the pinch weld behind the inner fender wall as much as possible to not rub the wheel well at full flex on rockier/tougher trails.

I'm running 34" MT Toyo's, factory gx rims + 1.25in spacers w/ stock gears - my 0-60 pickup is sluggish but not bothersome and I had to do all of those things to not rub so chances are you will too especially if you will be running spacers or a wider rim which you'll have to do for 35's unless you want to squeeze them on the stock rim, but ideally you'd have something 8" or wider.

Once you do those things and get it properly offroad you'll see relatively quickly where it rubs most and what needs more attention from your hammer, grinder etc!
I am already looking forward to it! I picked it up last May for a great price and knew I wanted to turn it into a project before I even had the keys lol! I am prepared for all the trimming and chopping, but there isnt too much I could find on how the stock gears hold up.

Thanks for the reply!

They are actually 4th gen 4runner steps. Fits perfectly and seems to have higher clearance than OEMs.

View attachment 2264801

Not sure if this info is somewhere else in this forum, but I couldn’t find in my searching, so wanted to post here in case it’s helpful for someone else:

I moved from stock GX470 side steps to the 4th gen 4Runner steps yesterday and I gained 0.75” of clearance. So not much actual, but a bit and they sure do look sleeker than the stock boards.

2007 with BP51's all the way around. The wheels are FN 6shooters with 295/70R17 STT Pros. I also have Spidertrax 1.25 inch spacers all the way around.

20170727_063149.jpg

20170814_160414.jpg

Did you have to do any modification the fender liner? Or BMC?
Thank you . These are now on my list of possible mods .

265-70-17
Good Year Wrangler Ultraterrain AT
1.25" spacers
Stock 17" wheels
2" front lift 2.5" rear

Thoughts - at stock height a lot of cutting and modifying in order to get these tires to not rub. Took care of all of that and then lifted so did things backwards.

Would like a larger tire but just don't see anyway to mount a larger and wider tire without getting into the body mount issue.

Question - what is the largest recommended lift with stock components (without airbags)?

View attachment 2570040View attachment 2570041View attachment 2570042
I love the way your GX Stock wheels look, painted. I too wanted to do this (I have the same color GX) but, didn't know how it would look. My question to you is this; You mention having a 2" front and 2.5" rear lift... What kind of lift is this? or have you already mentioned this and I may have missed this, perhaps?

PS: What type/brand of spacers do you have?

Thank you!!

I have two to show!
My truck has the Dobinsons 2.5" lift in the front with Dobinsons shocks & the "air bag trick" for a ~1.5" lift in the rear.
I just switched from this setup: 4Runner Trail wheels with 255/75r17 BFG KO2s
No rubbing!

Trail1.jpg

Trail2.jpg

To this setup:
Rays Gram Light 57DR-X (-10 offset) with 275/65r17 BFG KO2s
Serious rubbing...both front & rear on the front tires. I think it's all just plastic though (no interference with the body mount), so it'll just take some time with the heat gun to get it worked out.

Rays1.jpg

Rays2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom