F135 really runs like p..p (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Give it more advance, sounds like retarded timing, dont be afraid to go 15 degrees. If its too advanced it will not start easily. The bb is not always accurate. Hate to admit it but I time these by ear, test and tune, drivability, make sure its not detonating etc.
Thanks! I’ll try that. Tomorrow.

Update. Compression was 120 when I first got it and that was dry. Tried all of above advice and still runs bad. Checked 1-3 cylinders and got 90👎😞 not sure if tester is bad now but that’s the problem if it’s that low I think… At this point I’m taking a break from it and getting stuff done on my BJ73 and FJ60. Passively looking for a good running f or similar to just swap and be done..

Ok! Last ditch I’ll throw a Hail Mary coil… 🤟

Another quick check is pull each plug wire while running to make sure every cylinder is firing. I had an early f engine run on 3 cylinders and it idled fine, but would not take any load dor obvious reasons!

Have you checked and adusted your valve gaps?

Ok.. new coil installed and runs the same… interesting to note my timing light either stops working or flashes randomly like it’s broken… put it on my fj60 and it works perfect. So I was thinking bad power supply to coil? Changed top 30a fuse and cleaned the rest. Now timing light is working like it should..?… the - on the coil has 12v and the + side is 6.1v at idle? Is it supposed to be higher? Should I jump a + wire straight from battery to - on the coil to make sure it has enough voltage? Leaning more towards electrical now with that timing light issue.. also I’ll check the points again.

Is my coil wired backwards? The coil + wire is going to the distributor and the black/yellow wire from the harness is going to the - on the coil… is this backwards?
17AC7A77-9779-490A-A093-4CA2D5C71BFC.jpeg

Last edited:
Backwards

Case closed! Thanks to everyone! Wires were backwards and that’s maybe why it was parked in 1985! Final solution after new distributor, cap,rotor,wires coil, 10+ carb rebuilds and tweaks, it was crossed wires on the coil… only stumped and frustrated me for 5 months..
1660602500035.png

But hey, you got it running well now. Good work keeping up the hunt. :)

Hey, At least the new coil kinda solved the problem!!
Yup! That led me to the problem! Thanks!!
Finally can make some headway on the Lv now that it runs reliably!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom