Builds Camo's build thread - 2F to 2UZ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Zach, looks great! You may picked this up already, but is you shroud touching metal on metal with radiator? Can’t see from pics. Thought I would ask. I used some welting all around the sides facing the radiator to mitigate this.

Good eye. This is on my radar. I'm swapping the fan clutch for an Aisin blue hub unit before SAS departure and have plans to add some welting to help seal it and prevent fretting while the shroud is out.

While on the topic of SAS-prep, the current to-do:

Fan clutch and welting
Fuel pump swap - ditching the noisy Walbro and moving to Denso (same model as my donor's)
Console install - Jess did a bang up job with the cushion upholstering.

Cooling is sorted. An extra perk is that it seems the fan can come out the bottom of a UZ in a 60...handy. The welting isn't as robust as I had hoped, but it's still an improvement. Blue hub 100-series clutch woke the fan right up, too.

As-built:

20220725_190725.jpg

Ditched the walbro that Tanks Inc provides and moved to a Denso 950-0226, same unit the 4runner would've taken. Under a bill shipped.

Whisper quiet now.

One little bit of tech worth adding; the pumps are nearly identical physically. The denso connector (has the blue lead) would be backwards compatible to the walbro/Delphi but not really the other way around, although it's very close. Can force the connector to click, but it isn't right. Here's some photos to compare:

20220725_195659.jpg
20220725_194304.jpg
20220725_194145.jpg
20220725_194251.jpg

Last edited:
You getting a manicure before SAS? Asking for a friend.

Oh, yes. Gotta be as classy as the chariot.

More comfy was added. Discount lawn furniture fabric for now. Keeping eyes open for some blue to match.

20220726_200542.jpg

SAS6 is behind us. We had a ball! Camo ran great the whole week. The only adjustment I made was tightening the front U-bolts to stop the overloads from rotating. Otherwise I just kept it fed. Here's a few shots from the week:

20220730_200645.jpg
20220730_200135.jpg
20220802_121004.jpg
IMG_9478.jpg
IMG_9400.jpg

Still haven't beaten the narrow line on Poughkeepsie in Camo. Locked it up and dropped to 6psi and still couldn't hook. I'll blame it on the rain that was falling.

Here's a couple shots of camo waving to @John McVicker, @Jason hansen, and @Broski at the same point in time from different perspectives. She never unloads, but it seems to come closer than it felt. Maybe next year...

wall lean 1.png
wall lean.png

Last edited:
I've been tossing the idea of an ammo can center console around and yours looks pretty cool. is it as simple as making a pad & mounts or is there more to it?

I've been tossing the idea of an ammo can center console around and yours looks pretty cool. is it as simple as making a pad & mounts or is there more to it?

I had to cut a notch out of the corner to allow for the shifter cable, then stitch up the hole. Others likely wouldn't need this. Getting really picky...it oil-cans a bit since the bottom has very little stiffness. Might address that one day. I drilled 4 holes through the bottom and the factory stands and fastened the works together.

This was hands down the best add to the interior. Jess loved it.

Last edited:
Shock crossmember pitched a fit and the welds let go. It was the only spot on the truck I can recall thinking my weld prep could've been better.

20220816_081743.jpg

It took out the fuel pump wiring when it extended, so that was fun to fix on the bridge shoulder in morning traffic. Will get it mended and not make the same mistake.

To your credit, that rear crossmember is in a pretty impossible spot to prep and weld.

To your credit, that rear crossmember is in a pretty impossible spot to prep and weld.

Man, it's a terrible spot.

Did a better job this time...just took way longer to prep. Patched the damage with 12ga sheetmetal and got the tabs burned back in. Here's hoping there weren't hidden cracks 🍻

I saw where you got rid of 4runner seats - were they a direct bolt on in the 60 series or was modification required?

I saw where you got rid of 4runner seats - were they a direct bolt on in the 60 series or was modification required?

Modifications were reqd. I had to remove the oe brackets from the rails and weld on some new ones that I made.

No build progress, but I thought a tire update would be value added.

20220916_173710.jpg
20220916_173720.jpg
20220916_173803.jpg

~20k on this set. Pulled this one, the shortest, off during a 5 tire rotation. I forget what the original tread depth was, but considering the pavement and trail miles they're getting, I think they're doing pretty well.

They suuuuck with more than 12psi pressure. Dropping to 10 or less wakes them up, under this rig anyway. YMMV.

Good info. That is a thick hub! lugs have to go in a fair bit!

Good info. That is a thick hub! lugs have to go in a fair bit!
Indeed. Lugs are deep. Kind of a pain, but lots of meat in the hub. I like em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom