Rear Swingout DIY's (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking good. With how tight you are keeping those corners in you may need to have a bend in the swing arm for your tire mount to clear the rear hatch.

Thanks, and appreciate the heads up.

I've contemplated cutting the rear crossmember off several times, but after sitting some square tubing on top, I realized I'd need to make my bumper stick out anyway to accommodate a swingout.

I've got plenty of 2" square tubing, 1/8" thick which should serve well for a 33" tire. Plan is for a single swing out anyway, not a full one, and I plan to use 4XInnovations spindle kit for it.

Agree w/ @Pascoscout. Might want to go ahead and get your swingout hinges if you don't already have them and make sure there's room. My arms are flush w/ the back of the bumper but then angle in 15* to the hinge. Several different ways you can go depending on if you use the spindle style or the hinge type like 4xinnovations. I'm actually swapping mine over to the later right now and reworking some things.

I'm liking the design you got going so far.

I've got plenty of 2" square tubing, 1/8" thick which should serve well for a 33" tire. Plan is for a single swing out anyway, not a full one, and I plan to use 4XInnovations spindle kit for it.
Im sure you know what you are doing and this comment is intended to help out:

3/16" x 2" sq is the perfect size for your tire carrier....1/8" is too light and 1/4" is too much.....for the little bit of tubing you need, do yourself a favor and go with 3/16. I would hate to see it fail once completed. 2x4 rectangle tubing is preferred, to take advantage of the surface area on the "spindle".....then 2" sq or 2x4 rectangle to mount wheel to. There is a fine line between too little and too much. Again, only lending advice and learned lessons from my 8 ground up builds.

Im sure you know what you are doing and this comment is intended to help out:

3/16" x 2" sq is the perfect size for your tire carrier....1/8" is too light and 1/4" is too much.....for the little bit of tubing you need, do yourself a favor and go with 3/16. I would hate to see it fail once completed. 2x4 rectangle tubing is preferred, to take advantage of the surface area on the "spindle".....then 2" sq or 2x4 rectangle to mount wheel to. There is a fine line between too little and too much. Again, only lending advice and learned lessons from my 8 ground up builds.

Yeah I could do that.

Meant to say I'd be going with 2" x 3"

I have notes of steel I'd need and use for the build and I remember constantly going back and forth between 2" square or 2" x 3" mainly for the larger surface area.

3/16" square would be the better choice here really. Thanks.

Yeah I could do that.

Meant to say I'd be going with 2" x 3"

I have notes of steel I'd need and use for the build and I remember constantly going back and forth between 2" square or 2" x 3" mainly for the larger surface area.

3/16" square would be the better choice here really. Thanks.
Yeah, the 3/16" is what you want if you stick with 2x2. When I had my 33's it worked just fine. I ended up adding a truss style arm when I went up to 35's and made the arm longer.

Herre's what I did. Used the spindle mount from Ruffstuff.

More details in the thread linked in my signature or here Custom Rear Plate Bumper - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/custom-rear-plate-bumper.873429/

I built it one way the first time and rebuilt it a little later when I decided to center the tire. Either way worked fine and does not move at all. The best thing I did to it was to angle the clamp that holds it closed (last picture). It makes latching and unlatching effortless while still holding the bumper tight.

View attachment 2978902

View attachment 2978903

View attachment 2978904

View attachment 2978905

View attachment 2978906
What are these tail lights?

Been super busy with a lot of things so my Land Cruiser bumper has been the least of my concerns.

I did however, cut some steel to size.

Top and rear face pieces being 45 15/16" wide by 3/16" thick.

Cut side pieces as well at 5 1/2" tall (the height of the face) and 6" deep (the depth of the top plate) by 3/16" thick.

Also got an idea of where the "bolt holes" area is on the factory crossmember as I plan to cut that out with my plasma cutter. Got those same dimensions carried over to the rear face as I want to cut that area out, and have the rear hitch sit a tad deeper vs flush with the rear bumper. This is strictly an aesthetic choice.

With the spare tire carrier (and that stupid bar) out of the way, I'll have plenty of room to run a "V" style reinforcement to the rear hitch between the frame rails.

20220801_130244.jpg

20220801_130404.jpg

Pics for your enjoyment! Wish I had the time otherwise I'd have parts cut and welded already. Still waiting for my weld-in anchor points to arrive as well as my 4XInnovations spindle I ordered over the weekend.

20220801_140646.jpg

20220802_121438.jpg

20220802_154356.jpg

Figuring I'll use the extra 2" square tubing I've got to reinforce the tow hitch.

Need to cut these ends at 15 degrees so they mate with the tow hitch as well as the frame rails.

20220803_140521.jpg

Also before I got busy, after coming back from the steel yard I thought I'd start cutting into the rear face so I can cut out the smaller pieces tomorrow.

20220803_161342.jpg

Don't have a saw yet, so I've been cutting my square tubing and big plates with a bandsaw at my work.

Small cut outs or odd shapes I'll handle at home with the plasma cutter.

Back issues and 100 degree weather is enough to take away anyone's motivation :rofl:

Spindle arrived, just in time!

20220804_114509.jpg

With large pieces cut, I clamped them on for test fitting.

20220806_143210.jpg

So far so good, just need to find time to notch out the rear crossmember as that's where the hitch will go through.

Also I need to buy a drill press cause I do not want to use a hand drill and go through 3/16" plate. Need it to make 2 holes per so I can use the factory bolt holes.

20220806_144113.jpg

Also figured I'd get to work on the rear hitch-face thing.

This really is just taking way too much time because I'm trying to be precise, with tools that don't allow that.

4" x 3 1/2" square plate that'll act as a filler. Just need to cut out a 2 1/2" square out of it.

20220806_152636.jpg

Milwaukee mini cut-off tool because I assume I'd mess up with my plasma cutter.

20220807_103501.jpg

So far so good!

20220807_104047.jpg

Test fit.

20220807_112003.jpg

And the 'look' I wanted to accomplish. I really hate a big flat face so I wanted to break it up with a hitch that sat inward a bit.

20220807_112728.jpg

Once I tack that hitch into place, and get the crossmember notched, I can start measuring out for some square tubing for tying in the hitch with the frame rails.

I'm sure someone's noticed by now, yes I need to remove those stupid Slee rear bumpstop extensions.

I'll be tossing them if no one wants them.

Still looking good.

On your d-ring mounts consider cutting through the bumper face and recessing them so you can weld front and back. Much stronger than just welded to the surface. I've seen videos of d-ring mounts that were just surface welded pulling off and becoming a missel. On mine I passed them through the face about 2 inches and welded them to the bracket that bolts to the frame.

Still looking good.

On your d-ring mounts consider cutting through the bumper face and recessing them so you can weld front and back. Much stronger than just welded to the surface. I've seen videos of d-ring mounts that were just surface welded pulling off and becoming a missel. On mine I passed them through the face about 2 inches and welded them to the bracket that bolts to the frame.

Yeah I already regretted buying these once I got them.

I'm leaving the area marked as shown, but want to get longer ones so I can cut both through the crossmember but also the rear face and weld them on both sides.

Thanks for reminding me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom