Which Oil Filter Would You Rather Use?(TRD/OEM) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The TRD filter has a higher collapse resistance and improved filtering life at the same micron level as the base paper filter. The TRD design is also used by Mobil 1 synthetic filters., yet the Toyo TRD brand can tidally be found cheaper online.

The TRD filter has a higher collapse resistance and improved filtering life at the same micron level as the base paper filter. The TRD design is also used by Mobil 1 synthetic filters., yet the Toyo TRD brand can tidally be found cheaper online.
Have you read of any OEM filter collapses? The bypass cafe will open long before the filter is crushed.

Yeah, it would have to crush the inner metal filter support to collapse the filter.. the TRD/Royal Purple/Mobil 1 versions just add their own support tube which makes the original redundant.

Wouldn't the discriminator be back-to-back Blackstone reports? Same vehicle, same OCI, same average driving conditions, same oil. Ideally, it would bridge seasons like a Mar-Jul and then Aug-Dec to get aprox average temps. Only variable the filter. If one filter is reducing measurable contaminants then it is doing a better job of filtering. Otherwise it's branding and lore.

Wouldn't the discriminator be back-to-back Blackstone reports? Same vehicle, same OCI, same average driving conditions, same oil. Ideally, it would bridge seasons like a Mar-Jul and then Aug-Dec to get aprox average temps. Only variable the filter. If one filter is reducing measurable contaminants then it is doing a better job of filtering. Otherwise it's branding and lore.

I’m not an amsoil guy (seriously), but..

Some of these filters do something special.

Note that amsoil has explicitly stated their crazy high oil change interval is not to be followed with these filters on Toyotas engines due to clogging.

Crushed? Yes. The master tech at my local dealer showed me a crushed stock filter from a 10k oci Tundra. They can severely distort and even tear. He thought the 10k change was simply too long for some operating conditions.

Crushed? Yes. The master tech at my local dealer showed me a crushed stock filter from a 10k oci Tundra. They can severely distort and even tear. He thought the 10k change was simply too long for some operating conditions.
Did it crush the support tube in the filter cap? Or collapsed the filter around that?

My friends shop has recently had several vehicles some in with seized lower piston rings.

ALL of these vehicles had from 135k thru 170k on then AND full dealer service records showing the oil changes done at 10k and slightly less.

He told me 2 things I thought were important. (facts)
(1) the dealers are privately owned and do not necessarily put in top quality oils.
(2) 10k is Way too long to wait to change your oil. The vehicles that change the oil 3k to 5k have not come in with engine issues.

He said he believes (his opinion) the 10k and 1 year oil is for marketing purposes showing it cost less to maintain your vehicle. Vehicles will last 100k doing this but after that forget it.

As for the post .. I'm still using my 40% off TRD oil filters.

My friends shop has recently had several vehicles some in with seized lower piston rings.

ALL of these vehicles had from 135k thru 170k on then AND full dealer service records showing the oil changes done at 10k and slightly less.

He told me 2 things I thought were important. (facts)
(1) the dealers are privately owned and do not necessarily put in top quality oils.
(2) 10k is Way too long to wait to change your oil. The vehicles that change the oil 3k to 5k have not come in with engine issues.

He said he believes (his opinion) the 10k and 1 year oil is for marketing purposes showing it cost less to maintain your vehicle. Vehicles will last 100k doing this but after that forget it.

As for the post .. I'm still using my 40% off TRD oil filters.
Would I go 10k oci in a turbo engine? No. 10k in a 5.7 Toyota? Hell yes. The 5.7 is super easy on oil.

I was thinking of sending in my oil to one of those oil analyst places next time. I'm off road weekly, not usually anything radical but around the farm, and towing small trailers, so generally I go 5k to 7.5k. I'm not sure which one is good though?

I was thinking of sending in my oil to one of those oil analyst places next time. I'm off road weekly, not usually anything radical but around the farm, and towing small trailers, so generally I go 5k to 7.5k. I'm not sure which one is good though?
Blackstone

Blackstone
Last I looked there are 100’s of positive reviews from blackstone on the Toyota 5.7 at a 10k oci. The Toyota is a gem of an engine and extremely easy on oil.

I’m not an amsoil guy (seriously), but..

Some of these filters do something special.

Note that amsoil has explicitly stated their crazy high oil change interval is not to be followed with these filters on Toyotas engines due to clogging.
This is interesting. I’m about to make my Amsoil order, I wonder if I should pick up one of their filters to try.

For those interested in the Amsoil filter, here is a side by side comparison with OEM. The Amsoil has no plastic and the top, bottom, and middle are metal with the middle being perforated. I have a oil change coming due soon so I may run the Amsoil out of curiosity and send a sample to blackstone to compare.
BE4F6E2C-0CBD-45F4-897C-E414B83646A6.jpeg
205EB0B5-1D00-4EF3-88A3-F0D054FE3FD7.jpeg

07BCD5D9-AE2C-4453-91DC-DD1DAA552325.jpeg

@Artie as luck would have it, I was due to send in some 0w20 signature series for analysis to black stone after using one of the amsoil filters for 10k OCI. Used oil filter pics below for those interested. If it helps, I can post oil analysis when I receive it.

61D2C00B-DFC4-4D7A-A035-27E5600208D6.jpeg

58008885-7E43-4F73-A6A3-5066CA9B7F10.jpeg

2E6E854D-A906-48C7-9D89-404C94B3E693.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom