RTT Picture Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dark color, well
Any particular negative reasons for warmer climate use?
More in theory as we’ve never used it in temps higher then probably 55F. we only really use it spring before the snow melts enough to get the camper out and fall when we are deep in the back country and prefer to be off the ground due to high bear activity. most of the time more like temps in the 30’s and 40’s.

Dark color, well insulated, limited ventilation. Another plus for here in Alaska is it blocks the sun out well

We have a few good trips under our belt in an Eezi Awn Series 3. It’s a beefy tent that has held up surprisingly well in some big storms, gives us tons of space and is easy set up/take down. We still use ground tents when we drag the dogs along (Sheepadoodle and an Irish Wolfhound, I’m sure not carrying those pups up a ladder) but otherwise have really enjoyed the tent.

30EFA81C-F4B9-410E-8D23-F69472E1E7AC.jpeg

22531235-A59C-4A74-A2FC-F145079E5079.jpeg

D366EE55-AB5D-420E-AB8A-B8462EBA325D.jpeg

4DD09293-9D4D-4B27-858E-0CA90C578C2E.jpeg

Dark color, well

More in theory as we’ve never used it in temps higher then probably 55F. we only really use it spring before the snow melts enough to get the camper out and fall when we are deep in the back country and prefer to be off the ground due to high bear activity. most of the time more like temps in the 30’s and 40’s.

Dark color, well insulated, limited ventilation. Another plus for here in Alaska is it blocks the sun out well
I see… makes sense.
We live in the Deep South so we will see how this plays out here.

I use it above the Arctic circle every fall in Alaska for our caribou hunt. Have used it in temps down to the teens (F), 60+ mph winds, snow,…. 2 years ago on the Dalton highway (picture at finger rock) weather was awful, lots of rain, high winds, the iKamper did great. I park it so the hard shell is into the prevailing wind.

When I respond to questions about it I think it’s only negative quality is it is warm, I probably wouldn’t want it in a warm climate, but cold/wind/rain it is great.

View attachment 3075498
That's great. Thank you.

I see… makes sense.
We live in the Deep South so we will see how this plays out here.
It May be ok. Disclaimer, we Alaskans melt if temps get much over 70F. If it hits 75F we think it is the apocalypse. We had snow on the peaks behind my house last week.

10BD5014-6174-4C88-A64C-9D84B7F62072.jpeg

CVT Mt Shasta: great tent, warm, spacious, cheaper than a good amount of tents.
Down side, giant block when packed, annoying to pack in the cold or rain.
B0E2EE80-F7A5-4B3D-A4C4-96DD05A67B12.jpeg

Roofnest Falcon: very thin at 6.5” tall when packed, lightish (130lbs I think), ability to add rack to roof or accessories to sides.
Downside, from day one I thought it felt cheap every component on it felt sub par to the previous cvt. Definitely smaller inside (which I knew when buying). I won’t buy another roofnest product.
BF113FC0-831E-41D8-A8BD-3AC85E495E48.jpeg

Bush Co Alpha: fantastic tent. Sure it’s heavy especially with the awning (about 300lbs with the awning), but the quality is second to none. Double walled, slept in lots of cold snowy, windy environments and it will keep you warm (no heater). I’ve hit trees, not just branches but actual tree trunk with this tent and it just brushes it off.
Downside: it’s heavy, it’s definitely taller packed than tbe roofnest but still slimmer than the cvt. Also not the cheapest tent and awning setup.

I have the full James Baroud set-up. My tent is an Explorer which really only sleeps 2, but you can get the Grand Raid XL that will sleep two large people and two small. I love mine, honestly. One under represented aspect of this tent is the fact they they sell thermal insulation kits that go with them. Slept in below zero temps with mine and the wife had no issues ( although I did get some extra cuddles, hehe). You can add the tunnels that connect a pass through from under the awning to the tent which is cool, and I added a second one that goes over my sunroof so that I can go from the tent to the inside of my rig where the kiddos sleep (i had to mount my tent backwards on a custom rhino rack pioneer platform in order to do this). My storage box upfront is on slides. I got the model with the cargo area for mine which has it's positives and negatives, but at the end of the day since i kind of refuse to pull a trailer the extra storage space is worth it, I am happy with my set-up and wouldn't change it.
20220404_101209.jpg
20220404_101447.jpg
20220213_163641.jpg

Last edited:
I have the full James Baroud set-up. My tent is an Explorer which really only sleeps 2, but you can get the Grand Raid XL that will sleep two large people and two small. I love mine, honestly. One under represented aspect of this tent is the fact they they sell thermal insulation kits that go with them. Slept in below zero temps with mine and the wife had no issues ( although I did get some extra cuddles, hehe). You can add the tunnels that connect a pass through from under the awning to the tent which is cool, and I added a second one that goes over my sunroof so that I can go from the tent to the inside of my rig where the kiddos sleep (i had to mount my tent backwards on a custom rhino rack pioneer platform in order to do this). My storage box upfront is on slides. I got the model with the cargo area for mine which has it's positives and negatives, but at the end of the day since i kind of refuse to pull a trailer the extra storage space is worth it, I am happy with my set-up and wouldn't change it.
View attachment 3079059View attachment 3079060View attachment 3079062
Is the “tunnel” a sort of awning that extends over the sunroof?

61BE10E8-825E-4366-82AC-5122AD3DDD03.jpeg

Roofnest Falcon. Light, low profile. Not great for cold weather…added solar and Starlink mag-mount.

Is the “tunnel” a sort of awning that extends over the sunroof?
Yes, it goes from the rear door (although it's facing towards the front of the car) of the RTT and covers the majority of the sunroof. It's obviously not waterproof, but we've set it up to generally keep the elements out and it does add a significant amount of privacy and lets us look down or vice versa at night to keep tabs on our little ones. You can travel between the top and bottom as well if you're motivated. Easier for the kids, but I can do it if I need to.

20220213_164508.jpg

For the couple years or so I was considering the iKamper Mini. I didn't want something so big that blocked my sunroof and the two person size fit my needs. I ended up going for the "new" ARB Esperance as it was about a grand less expensive at $2690 and has a slightly wider sleeping area which fit the ExPed Mega Mat Duo mattress that I already had (it's really good). It also has some basic built in lighting below and inside which is a nice touch.
tempImageVo9XzL.png

Come to find out, it's nearly identical to the Roofnest Condor, without a doubt built in the same Chinese factory with only some small differences in the details but at about $400 less (at the time of purchase). It is not as nicely designed as the iKamper and the materials and fit and finish are not as good but at about a $1000 less than the iKamper it made that a tough sell, especially since it wouldn't fit my mattress.

Last edited:
Ikamper… heavy but big

View attachment 3082078

Pretty sure this is where I'm headed and love seeing your combination of iKamper and Airstream.

I had thought to build an off-road trailer for those long BLM trips. If I'm being honest, there's more tradeoffs and just "more" there than I need. I want to simplify and streamline more than adding gear. Plus I can't tow an off-road trailer behind my Airstream for those future trips that need both modes. The iKamper will give me sleeping room for 4, a place to stash some bedding up top. Between downsizing camp stuff like chairs and support gear, I should have all the luxuries I need. An external hitch rack and kit to round out my BLM overlanding setup.

Now just need that iKamper 3.0. 3rd and final RTT (maybe?).

Keep the pics and thoughts coming guys. Really enjoy seeing everyone's setup.

1660073574701.png

1660073047606.png

1660073713546.png

Last edited:
Pretty sure this is where I'm headed and love seeing your combination of iKamper and Airstream.

I had thought to build an off-road trailer for those long BLM trips. If I'm being honest, there's more tradeoffs and just "more" there than I need. I want to simplify and streamline more than adding gear. Plus I can't tow an off-road trailer behind my Airstream for those future trips that need both modes. The iKamper will give me sleeping room for 4, a place to stash some bedding up top. Between downsizing camp stuff like chairs and support gear, I should have all the luxuries I need. An external hitch rack and kit to round out my BLM overlanding setup.

Now just need that iKamper 3.0. 3rd and final RTT (maybe?).

Keep the pics and thoughts coming guys. Really enjoy seeing everyone's setup.

View attachment 3082450
I had a total of 6 people. 2 adults, 2 teens niece and nephew and 2 kids of my own. I normally wouldn’t put all this stuff on. I usually pull the AS or just use the RTT.

I had a total of 6 people. 2 adults, 2 teens niece and nephew and 2 kids of my own. I normally wouldn’t put all this stuff on. I usually pull the AS or just use the RTT.

Same. My parents often come on road trips with my own family of 4. 6 total, even in a larger camper makes that room shrink fast. Having that separate personal space (that's easy to setup), pays dividends on longer trips.

I’ll play a little.

Quick pitch, we store all the bedding including 4 full size pillows, 4 sleeping bags, two quilts and the tent ladder in here.

Trailer is an ikamper x cover. I love it on the trailer, I think I would hate it on a rig. I love the room, we slept 2 adults, 2 kids, and a toddler in there one night comfortably. Also it’s pretty light.

One thing to consider on the ikamper sky camp is I’m not sure you can leave full size pillows in it and close it. However basic bedding yes you can.

View attachment 3072671

View attachment 3072672

View attachment 3072673
While I'm not a fan of RTTs directly mounted on my rig (hate the idea of having to tear down to go exploring and all that weight up there), I'm definitely interested in the trailer mounted RTT option. That is till I got on a challenging narrow PNW trail and got thinking about how I would ever back-down/turn around/or get out of sketchy situations towing on off-road trailer in the never-ending search for remote campsite and 4x4 fun.

Any experiences/advice you can share?

It takes 15 seconds to deploy my Alucab, and maybe 30 seconds to stow it. Bedding stays inside. With the right RTT things are pretty efficient.

I posted this on another thread but here’s my current setup. Finish on the Roofnest is fading from constant sun exposure but otherwise it’s working as it was when new. The solar feeds a Yeti 500x which feeds the Starlink and fridge.
507F55E6-2BEC-490D-A01E-EDA056286201.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom