Blue fan clutch mod...Thread has gone to hell, read at your own risk (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FWIW, bought my landtank blue fan clutch back when Wits' End was carrying the product. Approx 4 years and 50K miles later, zero issues.

FWIW, bought my landtank blue fan clutch back when Wits' End was carrying the product. Approx 4 years and 50K miles later, zero issues.
Same here; fewer miles.

Ya there's no spinning it by hand plus they're brand new oem belts
How much oil did you add? I’m assuming you drained old over night like suggested and refilled with the 20k cst.
Edit: On page 35 of this thread, starting about post#688 tools R us described how much oil should be sufficient. 45 ml works well. (1.5 oz) Also see post#694

Last edited:
How much oil did you add? I’m assuming you drained old over night like suggested and refilled with the 20k cst.
Edit: On page 35 of this thread, starting about post#688 tools R us described how much oil should be sufficient. 45 ml works well. (1.5 oz) Also see post#694
I put back 35ml which was just over what came out so on my spare ill try 30k with 40ml-45ml.

Then something is wrong on the drive side. If you can’t spin the fan by hand.

Maybe your crank pulley let go.
It's a tight area and I just can't get leverage and when taking the fan off I used a screwdriver as leverage to spin the hub to get to bottom nuts but when engine is on there's no squealing or anything.

it's pretty simple, if there is a good amount of drag when you rotate the fan then it should roar on startup. Since it doesn't you either have a drive problem, a fan problem or possibly a low idle.

it's pretty simple, if there is a good amount of drag when you rotate the fan then it should roar on startup. Since it doesn't you either have a drive problem, a fan problem or possibly a low idle.
I'm not sure what its supposed to idle at it seems low even on cold startup with ac on its only 800 rpm then after a minute its down to 600 rpm where it stays and with ac off cold start is 600 then drops to 400-500 after a minute or two.

Mine roars on startup. I wait for the RPMs to come down to 1,000, then go. For first quarter mile or so, it can sound like the fan is driving the truck, and not the engine.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what its supposed to idle at it seems low even on cold startup with ac on its only 800 rpm then after a minute its down to 600 rpm where it stays and with ac off cold start is 600 then drops to 400-500 after a minute or two.
I think @landtank nailed it when he suggested “low idle”. If 800 rpm is your fast idle, I don’t think that’s fast enough to hear the startup “roar”. My ‘94 has always idled at 1300 - 1500 rpm from a cold start, depending on ambient temp....the colder, the faster the idle. It will roar for a minute or 2 and you can hear the result of fan clutch engaging which allows the fan to “slip” and it will quiet down and idle at roughly 650 rpm when the engine is warm. That’s pretty much normal, from what I’ve read here.

Mine roars on startup. I wait for the RPMs to come down to 1,000, then go. For first quarter mile or se, it can sound like the fan is driving the truck, and not the engine.

Unfortunately the disadvantage of old technology, it is the same reason you cannot have instant AC. I went all electric on mine years ago and have converted pretty much every vehicle I have owned, see this long running thread of mine showing everything that has been done to my 80 here: Builds - My LC 80 thread. - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/my-lc-80-thread.365673/

Regards

Dave

So if you spin the fan when the vehicle is cold should it rotate easily?

If it was only that simple! When cold the silicone settles at the bottom of the coupling creating drag, once spinning you will hear the roar when you first start the engine, the fluid is then distributed around the coupling and then the roar goes away, of course this is no gaurantee it will work when the engine gets hot. Go all electric and be done with it.

Regards

Dave

So if you spin the fan when the vehicle is cold should it rotate easily?
Not prior to the first starting of the engine that day. I’ve been conversing with another guy who is seeing some fluctuations in temp readings and asked about his belts.

I’ve started running high torque belts partly from molding my fan clutch.

Not prior to the first starting of the engine that day. I’ve been conversing with another guy who is seeing some fluctuations in temp readings and asked about his belts.

I’ve started running high torque belts partly from molding my fan clutch.
Hmmm
Truck had not been started for a day. Popped the hood and the fan rotated easily. Drove the truck 90 degree day, A/C on temp high point was 195. No big roar on start up.
Based on this info is clutch malfunctioning?

Hmmm
Truck had not been started for a day. Popped the hood and the fan rotated easily. Drove the truck 90 degree day, A/C on temp high point was 195. No big roar on start up.
Based on this info is clutch malfunctioning?
dead fan clutch, before starting that day it should have been hard to rotate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom