Road Top 8.8"/8.9" CarPlay Screen (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hmmm. I tried disconnecting my iPhone from Lexus CAR MULTIMEDIA (phone calls) but I didn't get any audio or Lexus mic working. Also, steering wheel controls don't work. In my case, having the iPhone connected to my Lexus CT200h Bluetooth (phone) and RT to Lexus CT200h Bluetooth audio everything works. Mic and speakers from Lexus and steering wheel controls also work with phone calls. Am I doing something wrong?

Would you mind posting the latest firmware that you received. I tried to contact Road Top but I haven't heard back yet.

We have been chatting about this product on a separate thread and it was suggested to create its own for reference...
Amazon Link
Manufacturer Link
Smaller Mount with a bit more down angle
No doubt that a fully integrated OEM looking thing is the best. But for $300 this was a great second option.

I used to have my iPad over the screen, really nice setup but I needed to flip the iPad every time to back up and every once in a while the magnetic charger would need to be changed out. Also, I paid $10 a month for iPad service. Lastly the phone calls were always sketchy when using The iPad to communicate. Lastly on sunny days, the iPad would overheat or just dim to the point I couldn’t see. For all these reasons I was exploring the option to install beatsonic’s CarPlay solution, but I was staring at about $1,000 installed. Then I saw the Road Top unit a few months ago and started thinking about it…

Pros:
- price ($300)
- wide screen/low profile (10 icons) - which is better than OEM setup, 8 icons
- comes with tons of accessories including backup camera - I did not use but I am open to ideas of how to take advantage of extra camera
- connect to car stereo via Bluetooth/aux/FM, of course I used Bluetooth, there is a second bluetooth for the phone handshake
- wireless CarPlay ( more reliable than the one in my ‘22 Ford Edge)
- all OEM media controls work
- uses vehicle microphone for Calls
- boot logo is customizable to vehicle mfg
- airplay mirroring/android screen mirroring
- when using Apple Maps, you can search by typing - not forced to use Siri
- settings in device allow for Equalizer adjustments

Cons:
- you have to conceal the wire for maximum OEM look (con vs a CarPlay retrofit module, not vs iPad setup since I had a cable for that)
- you loose access to Toyota Entune apps (I never used)
- OEM phone answer and hang up button don't work - just use the CarPlay Screen
- no auto-brightness - Road top did mention to me that their next version will include
- display settings adjustment screen does not include an image so it takes some menu flipping to get contrast and saturation right

I like the look quite frankly, it looks like many of the new cars nowadays including LX600 which has dual screens with an overlayed widescreen on the dash. I did buy a separate mount on Amazon for allow a little for downward angle which let me rest the screen further down...

View attachment 3053432View attachment 3053433View attachment 3053434

@jefo13 Man, thanks for all your posts on your evolution of utilizing Carplay. I am picking up my first LC tomorrow (2020 HE) and this has made me feel better about giving up Carplay - or so I thought. I ordered everything you did. How do you secure that mount to center speaker grill?

@jefo13 Man, thanks for all your posts on your evolution of utilizing Carplay. I am picking up my first LC tomorrow (2020 HE) and this has made me feel better about giving up Carplay - or so I thought. I ordered everything you did. How do you secure that mount to center speaker grill?
I'll just leave this here

Gamiviti_5487.jpg

Hi all. Picked this thing up to try once again to bring my 2018 Cruiser up to 2018 standards... Having trouble getting calls to route through the Toyota system. If i make a call now, it goes through bluetooth input and not the traditional phone menus on the built in unit. How do I have to connect the bluetooth profiles to make this work correctly?

I have software 2022.06.23.1.03, CUST version QP203.

It seemed like I just needed to connect the unit to my phone via BT for the Android Auto to kick in, and then connect the BT transmitter from unit to the Toyota built in, but that isn't routing calls correctly. Anyone have any thoughts here? Awesome unit, just can't get this to work which is a deal breaker. You can't have to change from XM to BT every time a call comes in, I'll never do it fast enough!

Hi all. Picked this thing up to try once again to bring my 2018 Cruiser up to 2018 standards... Having trouble getting calls to route through the Toyota system. If i make a call now, it goes through bluetooth input and not the traditional phone menus on the built in unit. How do I have to connect the bluetooth profiles to make this work correctly?

I have software 2022.06.23.1.03, CUST version QP203.

It seemed like I just needed to connect the unit to my phone via BT for the Android Auto to kick in, and then connect the BT transmitter from unit to the Toyota built in, but that isn't routing calls correctly. Anyone have any thoughts here? Awesome unit, just can't get this to work which is a deal breaker. You can't have to change from XM to BT every time a call comes in, I'll never do it fast enough!
I finally found happiness with connecting the phone to both the 200 and the RT and not connecting the RT to the 200. This gives me full OEM capabilities plus CarPlay on RT.
You will hear some Siri commands on RT and map routing but it works just fine because the music pauses when these things occur. Lastly some time if music playback is initiated in RT sound will be routed to the RT speaker but a quick pause and play on the 200’s pause/play button gets it back on track…

I used double side gorilla tape to mount the disc for the suction cup onto the speaker grill

I finally found happiness with connecting the phone to both the 200 and the RT and not connecting the RT to the 200. This gives me full OEM capabilities plus CarPlay on RT.
You will hear some Siri commands on RT and map routing but it works just fine because the music pauses when these things occur. Lastly some time if music playback is initiated in RT sound will be routed to the RT speaker but a quick pause and play on the 200’s pause/play button gets it back on track…
Thanks for the details! I'll give this a whirl. Do you keep all the controls this way?

Thanks for the details! I'll give this a whirl. Do you keep all the controls this way?
Yes all works
PS this is the same unit but much better price

NINETOM Wireless Carplay & Android Auto, Portable 8.8'' Touch Screen, Apple Carplay Screen Car Stereo with Backup Camera, Support Mirror Link, Bluetooth 5.0, Siri, GPS Navigation, FM, Music, Video https://a.co/iiFCTIk

@jefo13 Got my LCHE today and installed the unit. Looks great, thanks for the guidance. I am going to pop off the trim tomorrow and hide the wires.

But had to run the aux line for sound as RT connected to the phone bluetooth but then the phone would not connect to LC bluetooth.

I believe you said you were able to run the sound via bluetooth and keep the wiring to just the power cord, correct?

68152284846__23D890AE-3816-4B47-B7D4-5EE9A2DEBF7C.jpeg

68152252309__E7512D02-1651-4752-9E24-1D65E4DDEA94.jpeg

@jefo13 Got my LCHE today and installed the unit. Looks great, thanks for the guidance. I am going to pop off the trim tomorrow and hide the wires.

But had to run the aux line for sound as RT connected to the phone bluetooth but then the phone would not connect to LC bluetooth.

I believe you said you were able to run the sound via bluetooth and keep the wiring to just the power cord, correct?

View attachment 3079966

View attachment 3079969
Definitely dont wire the sound. Not sure why your phone would not pair with the LC, the Bluetooth on CarPlay is just a handshake it should not interfere. Try pairing to the LC before powering up the RT… I only connect the phone to the RT and to the LC, no need to connect RT to LC
Nice rig

Definitely dont wire the sound. Not sure why your phone would not pair with the LC, the Bluetooth on CarPlay is just a handshake it should not interfere. Try pairing to the LC before powering up the RT… I only connect the phone to the RT and to the LC, no need to connect RT to LC
Nice rig
I haven't tried connecting the LC BT first before powering up RT. I'll try it in that order. Fingers crossed. Impressed with this RT unit so far though and loving the LC. I just traded in a 2021 Lincoln Navigator I had for 9 months. It was nice but too fancy and not suited for kids, dogs and off road. Love being back to the simplicity of a Toyota and especially an LC.

I haven't tried connecting the LC BT first before powering up RT. I'll try it in that order. Fingers crossed. Impressed with this RT unit so far though and loving the LC. I just traded in a 2021 Lincoln Navigator I had for 9 months. It was nice but too fancy and not suited for kids, dogs and off road. Love being back to the simplicity of a Toyota and especially an LC.

@jefo13 Alright, I have to be close. Phone is now connected to LC and RT successfully. BUT, music still playing through RT only. Where am I off?

Hit pa
@jefo13 Alright, I have to be close. Phone is now connected to LC and RT successfully. BUT, music still playing through RT only. Where am I off?
Pause and play on the Land Cruiser
Also make sure you delete RT from Land Cruiser BT menu

I got here as well, but the play pause isn't resetting mine unfortunately. Going to try to reset a few things.
@nsvencer Here is what worked for me after following Jefo’s advice.
1. Disconnect everything and start from scratch
2. Connect phone to LC bluetooth
3. Connect phone to RT unit
4. Select Bluetooth option on LC audio
5. Play music from RT unit, press pause/play button twice near CD insert and I had connection

I still have text messages coming in via RT audio and that will cause the music to have to be restarted via LC pause / play button

5. Play music from RT unit, press pause/play button twice near CD insert and I had connection

I still have text messages coming in via RT audio and that will cause the music to have to be restarted via LC pause / play button
Yes text messages and navigation will come through RT

Thanks for the help guys. I did this all and it still is only playing music through the RT system. Grrr...I wish it would work properly the way it was intended with the BT transmitter.

Just to be clear, I do have it connected for Phone and Media to both RT and LC. Pushing play on the LC only gets the music to start and stop on the RT system. Also, phone calls seem to bounce between RT and LC as well, almost as if they are fighting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom