Aesthetics-Satin Black Window Frames (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.flickr.com
My Australian spec HDJ100 has body-coloured window frames. I see most US spec vehicles seem to have the frames blacked out.

I have to admit 1B1 Silver wasn't high on my list of colour choices, but that's what I have, so I'm looking to spice up the look a little by blacking out the frames.

I'd really appreciate a few photos showing how the paint is applied/masked out on your frames, and particularly inside the door jambs/closures so I can replicate it as closely as possible to 'factory'.

IMG_0678_1.jpg

Hopefully these are helpful, let me know if you need any other angles.

trim1.JPG

trim2.JPG

trim3.JPG

trim4.JPG

The black paint is a bit of a satin finish. I wouldn't be surprised if Toyota used the same black paint in front of the radiator support. But that painted area is probably heat faded by now.

I think painting the window trim satin black will improve your look tremendously. To me, the look is so very Land Cruiser. To add to what was posted, here are a few garage photos:
IMG_6182.JPG

IMG_6184.JPG
IMG_6185.JPG
IMG_6186.JPG
IMG_6183.JPG

Related: those sections often get skipped when buffing/polishing, etc.
Here's a comparison mid-job...
IMG_1268.jpeg

Thanks everyone, immensely helpful :)

Related: those sections often get skipped when buffing/polishing, etc.
Here's a comparison mid-job...
View attachment 3078349
That’s a terrible idea. I did this with my 97 Avalon. Looked as good or better than the before/after you posted. 2 years later the paint failed. Car sat outside 24/7 and the thin satin paint started to look like crap after a while. It’s matte black trim paint, wasn’t designed to be buffed regularly if ever like the rest of the clearcoated finish on the vehicle.

1. Sand
2. Cut
3. Swirl/scratch
4. Polish/buff
5. Seal/coat

I said buff or polish - nothing aggressive - then seal, e.g., ceramic, wax, etc.

You’d have to polish those panels for days to burn through the paint.

I see many newer cars use vinyl adhesive rather than paint on the blacked-out sections (no-doubt cheaper to build). I might try that instead of paint (100% reversible).

1. Sand
2. Cut
3. Swirl/scratch
4. Polish/buff
5. Seal/coat

I said buff or polish - nothing aggressive - then seal, e.g., ceramic, wax, etc.

You’d have to polish those panels for days to burn through the paint.
Thanks for the explanation. I didn’t know the difference between a buff and a polish.

My Australian spec HDJ100 has body-coloured window frames. I see most US spec vehicles seem to have the frames blacked out.

I have to admit 1B1 Silver wasn't high on my list of colour choices, but that's what I have, so I'm looking to spice up the look a little by blacking out the frames.

I'd really appreciate a few photos showing how the paint is applied/masked out on your frames, and particularly inside the door jambs/closures so I can replicate it as closely as possible to 'factory'.

View attachment 3078062
Wrap those sections/frames in matte vinyl

I would Plastidip them quickly to see what it looks like in person as it’s close enough, cheap, reversible, etc. and if want long term paint it or get the vinyl etc. good luck with the project

Youtube consulted, vinyl purchased :cool:

I'll be wrapping the window frames and B-pillar but leaving the chrome strip immediately below the glass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom