Vibration in 2005 100 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My wife sold her in interest in the family home in MA to her brother and now we are relocating all our stuff to Charleston, SC where we are building a house for escaping the bad months in Colorado. I purchased a 2005 LC in Albuquerque with 225K a few years back and will be loading it up tomorrow and driving the 16 hours to Charleston on wednesday. Just had a new radiator installed and truck seems to be running well, other than a rattle we have noticed over the last week or so.

The vibration feels like when you wander on the road and contact the rumble strip and doesn’t last long and goes away. I will check tire pressures and see if the wheel bearings seem loose, but wanted to see if anyone had other ideas of what to check for and if it is a u joint or a prop shaft, whether I can get a way with a 1000 mile drive? Speed limit on our island is 40mph, so dont know if the vibration will occur at the 75-80mph we will encountering on the drive?

checked all the suspension components and did not see anything obvious, no torn boots or destroyed bushings. Did find that a critter had made a nest in the air box and removed all the fur and acorns and vacuumed the air filter. Should make it run better, but could that have caused the rumble I described?
thanks for any help you can provide.

best,

T-Bro

Last edited:
I’d inspect front suspension for play, inspect cv’s, wheel bearing, shocks and bushings. I’d also inspect rear upper and lower control arms as well as shocks and bushings. That’s a long drive to attempt without knowing what the issue is.

I'd pull shafts one at a time and see if anything changes. Sounds like when my u-joints started to go.

The rear definitely sees a much higher load than the front due to power bias, the front shaft is harder to grease with things in the way and angles on the zerks. I was surprised that it was my front DS that needed to be fixed.

I've done 4k miles this year without my front driveshaft in with CDL locked while waiting for the shaft to get joints and balancing. Just threw it back in.

Hi from Charleston. start with the basics, get your tires balanced, grease and check U-joints for excessive play

Made it! Truck now safely in storage locker for a year. Experienced a higher pitched squeak around 70 mph, intermittent. Trying to push north of 75 and it was more constant. Will gave it checked out before I drive it to FL to pick up a new skiff next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom