Builds Project Rehab (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My biggest regret with building my lq4 was not putting a stroker crank in it. For forced induction cam isnt as important as ring gap afaik, you dont want NA ring gap for forced induction. I like the results of the truck norris cam power curves personally though. If you have a big motor budget, you can make a LS very powerful in naturally aspirated form which can be especially nice in a land ceuiser where its usually preferred to veer on the path of mechanical simplicity.
I think I'm going with the Wiseco Pro Tru Street Pistons and the Truck Norris stage two turbo cam kit.

Why a stroker crank?

I ask because I'm a YouTube mechanic. I haven't really heard/seen anything about doing anything to the bottom end.

Last edited:
I think I'm going with the Wiseco Pro Tru Street Pistons and the Truck Norris stage two turbo cam kit.

Why a stroker crank?

I ask because I'm a YouTube mechanic. I haven't really heard/seen anything about doing anything to the bottom end.
More torque lower in the 1000 to 3000 rpm range would be nice. That is the rpm range i spend the most time in. Only way you do that is with either more displacement or forced induction that gives boost early. I suppose it coukd also be done by adding a vvti gen 4 camshaft but i havent really looked into that much.
A 4.0 stroker crank increases the displacement of a 6.0L block to 6.8L or 408cubes. Of course that will also increase power above 3000rpm as well. If you can swing it financially you may want to look into it. I think a stroker kit is around 1600 bucks, which i didnt want to spend, but i regret now. That may offset the want to go forced induction. Forced induction is fun, but also brings a lot more complications. Of course you can always add forced induction on a 408 too if you want to beat Teslas at stop lights or something. I have the pro tru pistons in mine. They come in a nice kit with good rings.

Totally backwards conversation.

Like choosing bathroom tile before knowing how many bathrooms the house will have

Define your HP goal?! And go from there.

a 78/75 on the stock cam 6.0 with the right converter will likely scare the hell out of you on like 8-10lbs.

More torque lower in the 1000 to 3000 rpm range would be nice. That is the rpm range i spend the most time in. Only way you do that is with either more displacement or forced induction that gives boost early. I suppose it coukd also be done by adding a vvti gen 4 camshaft but i havent really looked into that much.
A 4.0 stroker crank increases the displacement of a 6.0L block to 6.8L or 408cubes. Of course that will also increase power above 3000rpm as well. If you can swing it financially you may want to look into it. I think a stroker kit is around 1600 bucks, which i didnt want to spend, but i regret now. That may offset the want to go forced induction. Forced induction is fun, but also brings a lot more complications. Of course you can always add forced induction on a 408 too if you want to beat Teslas at stop lights or something. I have the pro tru pistons in mine. They come in a nice kit with good rings.
Thanks for the information. I'll look into it.

This isn't going to be a "budget build", but if course I don't want to spend ALL my money 🤑

Thanks for the information. I'll look into it.

This isn't going to be a "budget build", but if course I don't want to spend ALL my money 🤑

see above.

Purchased a stand-alone wiring harness and send my ECU to get flashed last week. Everything arrived yesterday.
20220729_131659.jpg
20220729_141729.jpg

Is that a p01 or p59? You want the P59 from 06-07 vans that can do Flex and 3-bar Map.
Or are you starting out just running it stock/NA before doing any kind of forced induction?

Is that a p01 or p59? You want the P59 from 06-07 vans that can do Flex and 3-bar Map.
Or are you starting out just running it stock/NA before doing any kind of forced induction?
If I think I get what your talking about, its my donor ECM from the 03' Silverado.

Little update:

Went to the machine shop this afternoon and they are about three weeks till they get to the motor. It's all good, because I think I'm going broke 😂

Also picked to some quad headlights from @logicbyondreaso a few weeks ago. Had to open the side markers to out the Aussie dust and mud.

20220729_145831_HDR.jpg

Cleaned them up and added some paint and LEDs.

20220730_210210.jpg

20220730_210223_HDR.jpg

20220730_210841.jpg
20220730_210850_HDR.jpg

20220805_214331.jpg

20220805_214344.jpg

Ive been chatting with the sales associate at Asheville Vehicle Outfitters in NC (they are one of MITS Alloy tray authorized dealers in the US). The short tray that I wanted was a custom build only for Sam (who was mentioned earlier). So I will stay with the normal 80s wheelbase.

Gutted out the rear of the LC, only things left are the carpet and headliner before the chop.
20220819_114838_HDR.jpg

20220819_114902_HDR.jpg

Also took off most of that "woodgrain" molding.
20220819_114747_HDR.jpg

Things were going too good. Pulled the cone off the transmission to start putting on the Mark's adapter kit and I noticed a seal was bent.

20220819_172224.jpg
20220819_172217.jpg

Ok. Whatever. . Easy fix. Just for s***s and giggles, wanted to see how it'll look when I started putting things together. . .the kit didn't line up 👀 Looked at my order paperwork, and it said I purchased the 4L60e kit, not the 4L80e 🤦🏽‍♂️

**** 🤬

I emailed Mark's 4WD to see if that can help me out 🤞🏽

Of course I haven't heard back from Mark's 4WD (out of Australia 🦘) about the transmission adapter because they are in the other side of the world, and closed on the weekends, but I think worst case scenario I'll be out of a few hundred install of a few thousands 🤞🏽

The transmission adapter I currently have (4L60E) has a few extra parts than the kit I need (4L80E). Hopefully I can send the extra parts back and they send me what I need. . Or they just make me buy the part I need 🙄

Extra parts from the 4L60
mfk1195e6aweb_2~2.jpg

What I need for the 4L80
mfk119580eweb_2~2.jpg

Pray 🙏🏽 for me 😅

This week I also got some Corbeau seats off FB (I hate FB, but live on market place 😅). @roadstr6 picked them up for me and will MUDship them to me at our next event.

IMG_3385.jpg
682469200.jpg

Got some good news. Last night I called Mark's 4WD in Australia to see if they can help me out for buying the wrong parts. $50 later for calling Australia, the guy that was helping me computer crashed so he said he'll email me. Woke up this morning and no email. Since I'm inpatient, I just called them again (using an app this time). They are going to send me a list of the parts I need to send back, and give me a credit for the parts I need.

Thank the lord because I didnt want to pay another $2k.

Little update. Been spending money, getting scammed, returning and receiving parts.

Recently got on the LS Form looking for cheaper parts than retail. Came across a new stage 2 truck cam complete kit that was $300 cheaper than retail. Jumped on it. Sent a message, then a few hours later I got an email from who I thought was the same guy. We texted back and forth, was going to PayPal him the money, but he doesn't have PayPal 🤔, so I Zelle the money. He said he'll send me the shipping info. The next day, the actual seller messaged me 🤦🏽‍♂️. Bought the kit from the actual seller and received it. Talked to my bank about the scam, and after a week, Zelle said the other guys bank won't refund the money so I'm s*** out of luck 🤬. It's ok though. Everything happens for a reason. I got got.

As mentioned before I bought the wrong transmission adapter and had to return it back to Australia. They received everything a week ago, but due to being understaffed and high volume of sales, I had to call a few times to see how everything was going. Last night they sent me an invoice for $95. They credited the returned kit, and the kit I need is ~$300 cheaper than. So that was a win.

Last week the machine shop called me ready to put the LS together and told me what size pistons they need. Everything was dropped off today, so it should be complete in week or two.

Lastly, we moved the date to chop the 80. It's was going to be this weekend, but another MUD member has some emergency work needed on his cruiser, so I'll give him a hand.

I have to go out of town for a couple months in Oct, so we planned a HAMOM on 10 Dec to chop the 80 and hopefully pull the motor and transmission.

Little update. Been spending money, getting scammed, returning and receiving parts.

Recently got on the LS Form looking for cheaper parts than retail. Came across a new stage 2 truck cam complete kit that was $300 cheaper than retail. Jumped on it. Sent a message, then a few hours later I got an email from who I thought was the same guy. We texted back and forth, was going to PayPal him the money, but he doesn't have PayPal 🤔, so I Zelle the money. He said he'll send me the shipping info. The next day, the actual seller messaged me 🤦🏽‍♂️. Bought the kit from the actual seller and received it. Talked to my bank about the scam, and after a week, Zelle said the other guys bank won't refund the money so I'm s*** out of luck 🤬. It's ok though. Everything happens for a reason. I got got.

As mentioned before I bought the wrong transmission adapter and had to return it back to Australia. They received everything a week ago, but due to being understaffed and high volume of sales, I had to call a few times to see how everything was going. Last night they sent me an invoice for $95. They credited the returned kit, and the kit I need is ~$300 cheaper than. So that was a win.

Last week the machine shop called me ready to put the LS together and told me what size pistons they need. Everything was dropped off today, so it should be complete in week or two.

Lastly, we moved the date to chop the 80. It's was going to be this weekend, but another MUD member has some emergency work needed on his cruiser, so I'll give him a hand.

I have to go out of town for a couple months in Oct, so we planned a HAMOM on 10 Dec to chop the 80 and hopefully pull the motor and transmission.
Sorry to hear about getting scammed. 😠

Got a call yesterday evening from the machine shop telling me that one of the heads on the LS was bad. The machine shop called around and found me one for $300, but I looked on Facebook and for two heads (and everything inside) for $300. Rushed to the guys house last night and dropped them off at the machine shop this morning.

Picture of the old head.
20220914_085655.jpeg

The shop said they have never seen this on a Chevy before. This usually happens Chryslers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom