Interest in new OEM-style FJ60 Door Panels? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am working with a reputable classic car upholstery shop on making a set new OEM-spec door panels for my FJ60. They will have the OEM brown vinyl and OEM brown/tan cloth. New fiberboard backing panel with the proper slots for the plastic clips. Will reuse the curved steel piece at the top and chrome trim strip. They will have the OEM-style decorative heat-embossed lines. The fabric and vinyl will be heat-welded together like OEM. In short, they will be identical looking to the OEM panels.

I will have the option to have extra parts made, or just for the set for my FJ60. I do not know the price yet as I am early in the process with the shop. I'm sure they won't be cheap. Probably $1000 or more a set. Since there is no other option for new OEM-style door panels I am willing to pay whatever it costs. I have already redone the rest of my interior in OEM fabric and vinyl and new headliner. The door panels are the last part of the equation.

If anyone has legitimate interest (and willing to pay) let me know. The shop has already said they will do a bit of a quantity discount. My interior is the brown one, but materials for the grayish/blueish interior are also available.

Sounds like a quality product using quality materials to original specs. I’d be very interested in a set once I could evaluate the grayish/blueish material. What are the possibility of identical OEM type cargo panels also?

I'm curious how they are sourcing the OEM fabric. My understanding is that "literally OEM" fabric isn't available, and there are some okay replicas but nothing that's exactly the same.

I've seen:

I'd buy a set if my 60 was nicer lol. It's barely worth a grand as is, and I'm not sure new door cards would double its value haha

I’d be interested to see if they can rebuild the door cards recycling the old material off of them. Typically it’s the vinyl and backing material that fails or gets weathered. I too was under the impression quality material was not available. With 2 different patterns and 4 colors used in the 60 & 62 series, it may be tough to find a good match. I have seen the early brown/yellow that’s been put in 60’s and that does look really close. But the one I knew of was not very high quality and showed premature signs of wear in the seat material. With plans to do a few OEM restorations down the road, I’ll be very interested to see how this develops. Thanks for doing the leg work that your doing.

You could have the uphostery shop buy some hard board (available in 4x8ft sheet) from a hardware store and if you have an old original door card use it as a template. I think some hollow punches would come in handy for cutting out some of the smaller holes. It's the same board the original door cards use. May want to treat it first with some sort of sealer. I used hardboard to recreate a toasted package tray on my Galaxie (the thing in the back below the rear window that the speakers and defrosters rest on).

Hi all, sorry for late reply; I've been travelling.

The fabric and vinyl supplier is SMS as some have guessed. When I spoke to SMS they said the material is produced new in-house according to the OEM Toyota specs/drawings. As others have mentioned, none of the original new old stock ~30 year old fabric is still in existence. About six months I had my FJ60 seats reupholstered in SMS material. The material is a very good match to the original OEM material that was on my seats and door panels. Of course the new stuff looked brighter but that's because the old stuff is dirty and faded. See pictures below.

I'll start with door panels for now and see how they turn out. If they are good then I'll follow up with cargo panels.

I'll keep this thread updated with progress and what I learn from SMS. My main goal is to get a set of nice looking door panels to match my new seats. A secondary bonus will be if I can get a few extra sets made and sell them to other Mud folks.

20220101_110753.jpg

20220101_110417.jpg

20220101_110405.jpg

The existing door cards don't look like they need replacing but I know they get pretty worn up on top where it makes contact with human arms and sunlight. That is why I don't care for those vinyl wrap over on top style of cards.

Just to cross reference this thread to mine from a few years ago... New door panels I customized mine to have black carpet on the bottom because I wanted to go with mostly black interior. SMS did a great job. One hiccup and it took forever, but well with it. I should post more pictures of my interior. Not the best lighting.
door panels 3.jpg

Last edited:

The fabric and vinyl supplier is SMS as some have guessed. When I spoke to SMS they said the material is produced new in-house according to the OEM Toyota specs/drawings. As others have mentioned, none of the original new old stock ~30 year old fabric is still in existence. About six months I had my FJ60 seats reupholstered in SMS material. The material is a very good match to the original OEM material that was on my seats and door panels. Of course the new stuff looked brighter but that's because the old stuff is dirty and faded. See pictures below.

I'll start with door panels for now and see how they turn out. If they are good then I'll follow up with cargo panels.

I'll keep this thread updated with progress and what I learn from SMS. My main goal is to get a set of nice looking door panels to match my new seats. A secondary bonus will be if I can get a few extra sets made and sell them to other Mud folks.

View attachment 3076320

View attachment 3076321

View attachment 3076322
That looks really nice. Researching this topic now. Thanks for this post

View attachment 3076320

View attachment 3076321

View attachment 3076322
Do you have the contact number to do my door panels/

I did google and the owner Doug of SMS Auto Fabric who is in Oregon stated there is another company that is using his company name that is doing the dopo panels
Nope. I picked them up at his shop in Canby. It was Doug that I worked with. I could show you the emails. Bummer.

I just received a fabric samples for my 87 fj62 .
The fabric matches perfectly with OEM. Pictures were supplied of door card perfect match except the carpet it was black in picture.
I called they said they can do any color combination. Just under 1k for all four panels.

Fabric $165 yard Vinyl $85

Anyone have pictures of how their doorpanels turned out from Doug/SMS? @pinkiedog64 were you able to get your set made? Curious to see the dielectric/RF/HF welding of the vinyl to the fabric in the door card as well as the vinyl to the masonite or particleboard backing. Were the reproductions good copies? I imagine the loop pile carpeting was easy to sew in? Pictures please if anyone has them and information on the producers of the upholstered door cards too🙏

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom