Is this acceptable touch up by professional shop? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got these pictures from shop who is painting my front bumper and touching up these two spots. This looks completely unacceptable doesn’t it? This is a professional collision repair shop. Looks like my 6 yr old could do better than this - do I have unrealistic expectations about touch up placement and color matching?

E74BBB47-3025-4FF8-9981-F63010B872A0.jpeg

39C95C1B-9A16-4D1B-A4BE-01281073CA32.jpeg

:D hahaha

Did you tell them “no don’t paint the whole panel, just fix the spots.”?
I asked his professional opinion whether to paint the whole panel or just touch up the spots. He said touching up won’t be perfect but should look pretty good. Scrapes on my front bumper are larger so that is being removed and entirely repainted. These two areas aren’t as big so I decided to try touching up. I’m not expecting them to be perfect but figured they could touch up better than this and it would blend better!

How much did he charge?

I bet it looks fine from 10 feet away. Yes, I think you had unrealistic expectations. You can’t blend spot touch ups. Maybe he thought it was an off roader?

Last edited:
It looks like your 10 year old daughter used nail polish. I would not be happy with that, the color is wrong for starters.

How much did he charge?

I bet it looks fine from 10 feet away. Yes, I think you had unrealistic expectations. You can’t blend spot touch ups. Maybe he thought it was an off roader?
Little under $500 for the complete front bumper, touch up of these two spots and going over the whole thing to take out any smaller scuffs/imperfections.

He knows I’m not an off-roader - LOL. I get you can’t blend but seems to me like the color should match better than this. I bought a $10 bottle of touch up paint from Auto Zone last year to touch up small spots on a silver T4R and it looked better than this. But again, maybe I do have unrealistic expectations and I’m willing to accept that if that’s a general consensus from you here Mudders!

It should be noted I have not gone to pick it up or paid yet. I just got these pictures this morning via text update

That is not “professional” work in any way.

I would not be satisfied with that. They should have touched up one spot and instantly realize they have the wrong color and stop there.

I would expect $500 to be the cost for just a front bumper repaint. Maybe he threw the quick touch ups in for free thinking it would be slightly better until you eventually repaint the touch up area.

I think your expectations were high and he thought he was helping.

At $500 for the whole job I think you got a fair deal.

I would expect $500 to be the cost for just a front bumper repaint. Maybe he threw the quick touch ups in for free thinking it would be slightly better until you eventually repaint the touch up area.

I think your expectations were high and he thought he was helping.

At $500 for the whole job I think you got a fair deal.
I know the GM of the dealership well. He hooked me up with his dealership’s collision center and the guy who runs it did it for me at employee cost. But I wouldn’t expect that to result in sub par work which from most of the comments folks agree. I’d rather pay full price and have it done right but I’m trying to be mindful they were doing me a favor.

Touch up color beside, the work is not good. I bet they were thinking they are doing it for free.
A professional touch up should include cleaning the defect area, filling in the scratch, not going over the edges, applying clear coat, sanding and buffing so only the color is somehow different. I can do all that so I know how it should look like.
But I think this is a case of miss communication were the actual job description is different between you two.

This is why I started doing things myself. Oil changes, paint jobs, etc. I'd prefer to have other people do it, but have gotten to the point where I realize if you want it done right, do it yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom