May have found interior panel manufacturer for 60's and 62's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can they make a tailgate panel as well?
I believe mine was solid tan or dark brown in color as I have a beige 60.
I’d like to have one made.

Last edited:
I meant it to say:

I meant it to say:

I hope so, I need all of it!

I hope so, I need all of it!
Richfj60, I know this is an old thread. Did you ever do anything with this? I am going down the same path of having SMS make OEM style door panels for my FJ60 with the brown interior. I had my seats reupholstered recently using the SMS fabric and vinyl. They look great and now want to do the door panels. My thread is here: Interest in new OEM-style FJ60 Door Panels? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/interest-in-new-oem-style-fj60-door-panels.1289831/

I'd like to hear your thoughts and if you learned anything further.

Thanks,

Stephan

Richfj60, I know this is an old thread. Did you ever do anything with this? I am going down the same path of having SMS make OEM style door panels for my FJ60 with the brown interior. I had my seats reupholstered recently using the SMS fabric and vinyl. They look great and now want to do the door panels. My thread is here: Interest in new OEM-style FJ60 Door Panels? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/interest-in-new-oem-style-fj60-door-panels.1289831/

I'd like to hear your thoughts and if you learned anything further.

Thanks,

Stephan
Mine turned out very nice. I chose black carpet on the bottoms and put in a black carpet kit. It just took a really long time. Promised 6 weeks, took 7 months. The oly issue I had was that they forgot to punch the holes for the panel clips so I had to send them back and “fix” it. That part was disappointing. If they had punched the holes first, it would have been so much cleaner. All in all, I would do again. Just be patient.

Mine turned out very nice. I chose black carpet on the bottoms and put in a black carpet kit. It just took a really long time. Promised 6 weeks, took 7 months. The oly issue I had was that they forgot to punch the holes for the panel clips so I had to send them back and “fix” it. That part was disappointing. If they had punched the holes first, it would have been so much cleaner. All in all, I would do again. Just be patient.
Awesome, good to hear they came out nice. Did they heat emboss the OEM style decorative lines in the panels? Did they reuse the curved steel piece at the top of the door panel? Mind sharing what they charged?

Awesome, good to hear they came out nice. Did they heat emboss the OEM style decorative lines in the panels? Did they reuse the curved steel piece at the top of the door panel? Mind sharing what they charged?
Yes, they used the curved metal pieces, yes, they embossed the vinyl. I think I paid $700 for the set, but that was probably 4 years ago. I’ll post a picture. I’d love for them to make you a set just in case I have a problem in the future, or build another 60!

Yes, they used the curved metal pieces, yes, they embossed the vinyl. I think I paid $700 for the set, but that was probably 4 years ago. I’ll post a picture. I’d love for them to make you a set just in case I have a problem in the future, or build another 60!
Cool. Even for four years ago that's not a horrible price. I was/am guessing it will be in the $1000-$1500 range for a set now. Did you have cargo side panels done, too?

When I spoke to SMS a couple weeks ago they said they measure the existing door panels to set up the tooling for the heat embossing machine. I'm guessing it just metal strips in the right width, length, and shape to match the factory embossing. I wonder if they create a dedicated tool for that and keep it, or if it is just a temporary setup that has to be recreated each time they do a batch.

I'll keep you posted on the project.

This is before I cut the holes in the fabric for the switches. The door panels for the 60 and 62 are the same, but the holes are different for power windows and locks. Best to send in a set of you old panels. But I am sure they have the templates. I've had them installed for 2 years and love them.

door panel 1.jpeg

door panel 2.jpeg

Not a 60 series owner here but I have to ask if SMS provide new weather strip for this as well where it attaches to the top of the card? Just curious. It is NLA for the 70 series cards that use the same style as pictured here. This is one reason why I decided to replace the entire cards with other style where it doesn't go all the way over the top.

Last edited:
Not a 60 series owner here but I have to ask if SMC provide new weather strip for this as well where it attaches to the top of the card? Just curious. It is NLA for the 70 series cards that use the same style as pictured here. This is one reason why I decided to replace the entire cards with other style where it doesn't go all the way over the top.
Boy, its been so long that I don't remember exactly, but I think so.

Not ideal lighting.

door panels 3.jpg

So do they cover your existing cardboard panels or supply new board? I need new board AND fabric for the doors for a 60.
They supply new backing boards laser cut with all the correct holes. They fit perfectly.
I**Disclaimer- I am not a sales person for SMS. I actually had quite a contentious relationship as I was promised 6 weeks and it too 7 months. I did have another issue that they took care of after I had received them, but the end product is beautiful and ultimately I hope that others can keep it going.

They supply new backing boards laser cut with all the correct holes. They fit perfectly.
I**Disclaimer- I am not a sales person for SMS. I actually had quite a contentious relationship as I was promised 6 weeks and it too 7 months. I did have another issue that they took care of after I had received them, but the end product is beautiful and ultimately I hope that others can keep it going.
You have to supply the metal top piece and the chrome trim around the lock button.

What is the contact info to get my door panels done?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom