BudBuilt CATALYTIC CONVERTER GUARD installation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No, the front and middle cuts are not difficult and can be competed. Are they harder than if the guards weren’t there? Sure. But, I showed with the blade on the pipe in each location. Weird you seem so confident when you actually haven’t seen an install.
I’ve done *lots* of cuts with a reciprocating saw using all manners of blades cutting all kinds of materials.

Using a long blade without the ability to put the depth guide against the work is the second quickest way to bend that blade.. the end of the blade hitting something solid being the first. Hitting the end of the blade is a reason most of these guys probably don’t even carry long blades when short ones are all they need for the vehicles they target.

The stock pipe being stainless makes it even more difficult.

Simply being able to touch the pipe with the blade doesn’t at all mean the cuts will be easy to complete.

it’s really more of a deterrent to a lazy thief. if someone really wants my cats and goes through the trouble with the guards on, then they deserve it. i agree with @bloc touching the pipe with that blade might cause it to bend, at least from my experience.

I’ve cut plenty of pipe also. As I said, it’s doable, though maybe a harder/longer task with the guards. I’m just saying that it’s more exposed than I expected and asked for feedback from people that have actually installed. I think those bends to the outside on the guards should be longer and at a more acute angle to better block the pipes.

I’ve cut plenty of pipe also. As I said, it’s doable, though maybe a harder/longer task with the guards. I’m just saying that it’s more exposed than I expected and asked for feedback from people that have actually installed. I think those bends to the outside on the guards should be longer and at a more acute angle to better block the pipes.
maybe a call to budbuilt will get the answer. maybe it’s for airflow?

FWIW I agree with you. I was struck by how much exposed area there was after I installed mine. A couple of points though. One, was the vid showing the easy access with the saws all done with the car up on a lift/ramps? I think the guards take away the main/easy angle of access from directly below and accessing from a lowered position will make access even more difficult. Two, as pointed out, you can’t rest the guard on your work. If you make the easy cut first, all the saw will do is shake the unbraced section rather than the teeth getting good purchase pulling against the guard. Having said that - I do wish they were a little larger, but now they’re not just sitting ducks.

I just did mine. It took me about 40 minutes. The smaller driver's side plate is a bit fiddly as the rear bolt is just beneath a cat which gets HOT LOL. The larger passenger side plate has lots of access above the rear bolt - that took about 10 minutes if that.

You might want to check your bolts. Below is a picture of the bolts sent to me with the kit. Notice the shoulder of one is tapered and the other isn't. The cutouts on my plates were a bit rough and I had visions of the tapered bolt possibly just spinning around in the square cutout. Soooo a square shouldered bolt from ACE Hardware was used to do the job.

Let's just hope this works.

Bolts that came with the kit:
20220807_091200cs.jpg

How long did it take you to install?
10 minutes.
- Remove the stock bolts holding the rearmost outboard corner of the stock tranny guard
- Lube the Allen head bolts with anti-seize, insert and thread in leaving 1/2” ish of thread exposed.
- Insert the appropriate budbuilt guard under the rear of the plastic tranny guard, aligning the slot in the steel with the Allen bolt.
- Tighten the Allen enough to support the guard
- Align the rear square bolt hole in the guard with the hole in the cross member and insert the carriage bolt (which was previously lubed with anti-seize) from underneath. Takes a bit of wiggling.
- Drop the fender washer, shakeproof washer and nut onto the bolt. Easy on the pax side, hard on driver side if the exhaust is hot.
- Tighten up the carriage bolts, then the Allen bolts.
- Wear gloves. The guards are not well deburred and I left them like that so any feckers trying to steal my cats can get their hands cut to feck for all I care
- Consume beer of choice.

- Wear gloves. The guards are not well deburred and I left them like that so any feckers trying to steal my cats can get their hands cut to feck for all I care
- Consume beer of choice.
Hmmm... Perhaps the guards could even be sharpened?

I was considering ordering 2 or 3 Bud Built skids to protect the CATS. Knowing me, I would go ahead and get the front engine skid too. I don't really bounce my truck on sharp rocks but could always use protection against road debris or sticks getting kicked up. Worked on the math for different thicknesses and materials and then possibly adding black powdercoat and waiting the extra time. So a lot of money for protection that my off-roading is not really my norm. But reading about @chris777 loosing his to tweakers on a road trip with his camper trailer. I pulled the trigger on a set of these CAT skids and they are on the way. Being stainless helped justify the price. I think they are enough to get a tweaker under someone else's rig after a quick glance. I like @KLF suggestion to sharpen the edges.

I sent Bud a message summarizing the general concern that the cats are still exposed with the guards and sent him the video demonstrating the sawsall still getting in there all good and deep like. He responded - and I’m paraphrasing - that it’s the haters and that there is no way to fully cut through the pipes much less remove them with the guards on. He said mayyybe if you had the truck on a lift and then offered to cancel my order if I didn’t want them. Time will tell I guess.

I sent Bud a message summarizing the general concern that the cats are still exposed with the guards and sent him the video demonstrating the sawsall still getting in there all good and deep like. He responded - and I’m paraphrasing - that it’s the haters and that there is no way to fully cut through the pipes much less remove them with the guards on. He said mayyybe if you had the truck on a lift and then offered to cancel my order if I didn’t want them. Time will tell I guess.

I’m the one that posted that video. I am not a hater. I am a paying customer providing feedback. Good to know that’s how he takes feedback. I just wanted to get thoughts from other users that have installed. Never said I didn’t like them. Just thought they’d protect a bit better and had some ideas on how to improve the product. Kind of like how some of the smaller companies providing products for 200 Series go through multiple prototypes on bumpers and other items with feedback from users. Obviously, better than nothing and that’s hopefully good enough. Disappointing he can’t take any constructive feedback on how to improve things without calling a customer a “hater”. I am not. I like the product and think it could be better.

Last edited:
The guy has made a pretty successful business out of cutting up and fabricating metal parts, then has someone posting videos suggesting his product won’t work to prevent someone cutting a metal part off a truck.

Without any indication they contacted Bud to see whether these things were tested.

The guy has made a pretty successful business out of cutting up and fabricating metal parts, then has someone posting videos suggesting his product won’t work to prevent someone cutting a metal part off a truck.

Without any indication they contacted Bud to see whether these things were tested.
Welcome to 2022.

I spent $400 on these like other folks here have and here’s my thoughts - it’s a mild to medium deterent + the statistical improbability that an actual attempt will be made on your vehicle makes the actual theft of your cats with the guards installed practically nil.

Life is full of problems and real enemies - this is not one of them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom