Need a new Battery - Suggestions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I recently picked up the Toyota True Start Battery, but note that there are two models. The one in the coupon for $109.95 installed is the inferior battery. My dealership did not recommend it for the LC - fine for Corolla or Camry. You want the True Start battery with the 710 CCA and 84 Month Warranty. It was $115 without installation. I put it in myself. Hoping I'll get many years of reliable service from it.

Suggest you consider the highest amperage battery from Sam's, Walmart etc. Under $100.00 Three year free replacement on most. You can buy a more expensive battery if you like but believe you won't get the return advertised. Fancy Diehards and Optima's with high dollar trays and others are more for show than anything else.

Don't you think two under $100.00 batteries might out last one $200.00+ battery by a couple of years? Most likely, in my opinion.

Last edited:
For those who have switched to a 31M, what kind of service life are you getting from it?

I run these: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/SSBQ/34RPLT/03321.oap?year=2002&make=Toyota&model=Land+Cruiser&vi=1388831&ck=Search_C0423_1388831_-1&pt=C0423&ppt=C0005
in one form or another in all my trucks. One in the 100, the 40 and my Excursion. I let the 40 and Excursion sit for weeks, and in the case of the 40 over a month, at a time and they always crank right over. I do believe that you're better served with an AGM over a lead acid battery in terms of safety and reliability (as long as you don't buy an Optima).

Thank you to everyone for the replies, I learned a lot. Please feel free to continue the discussion for anyone else who happens to stumble on to this thread.

Sears Diehard Platinum group 31M AGM is now 3 years old so far no trouble. I got the retro fit kit from some guy selling them on here.

I had the first Diehard Platinum 31 AGM I put in the LC die early (less than a year) on me. It was replaced for free and the second one is doing ok after 2 years. I've had a lot of experience with those batteries in solar electric installations. When they first came out, they were one of the batteries of choice for off the grid solar power. However, of the 13 total I've purchased, 7 of the them have failed either within the warranty period, or just after. The others are getting pretty wimpy after 4 years (and I had hoped for 7 years). My *guess* is that these batteries are fairly susceptible to becoming sulfated if they sit for any length of time partially discharged. I now use Duracell 31 AGM batteries from Sams Club. Those are doing well and are $100 cheaper. My advice for those buying the Diehards is to 1) make sure the battery is very fresh when purchased (less than a month would be best) and 2) put a trickle charger on it if you don't use the truck at least weekly.

I did have one fail early... but it was because I left the ignition on for a few weeks. :bang: That's what happens when you have little ones that need attention and distract you in the garage. And your truck isn't a DD. Sears did exchange it no questions asked.

I keep both the 34 an 31 on 'shore power' when in the garage using a dual-channel battery tender. You just need to manually disconnect the batter isolator before doing so.

Edit: Data point: On the 31, I had my fridge run for 3 continuous days last summer in 85F weather before medium low voltage kicked in.

Last edited:
I had the first Diehard Platinum 31 AGM I put in the LC die early (less than a year) on me. It was replaced for free and the second one is doing ok after 2 years.

I had the same issue and resolution. Maybe they had a bad batch three years ago.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1418008965.789626.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1418008989.390725.jpg

Here's the battery from costco recommended for the 1998-2000. Not sure about how it fits, but the book recommends a fitment code of 23 with a group size of 24F. Not sure why different years would be different, but costco does not list a battery for newer LCs.

DieHard Platinum or DieHard Platinum Marine.

Costco/Kirkland are Interstate batteries manufactured by Johnson Controls. Good batts, but I'd rather have a deep cycle AGM for use in the boonies.

I found a 300A AGM at my local NAPA store 2 hours ago. It fit perfectly with ~ a 3/4' spacer. No issues with terminals attaching to the battery. 3 year guarantee no questions asked. Wife's '01 LX fired right up.

I found a 300A AGM at my local NAPA store 2 hours ago. It fit perfectly with ~ a 3/4' spacer. No issues with terminals attaching to the battery. 3 year guarantee no questions asked. Wife's '01 LX fired right up.

Which battery group size?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom