Pretty quiet in here... what are you working on? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m trying to figure out why one of my fans comes on but not the other! I don’t like electronics!
Relay, Temp sensor, Fan motor

Relay, Temp sensor, Fan motor
It look like each runs through a fuse and the fuses looked good. I did find that each fan has a wire going from its fuse block to the temp sensor on the engine and the wiring looks like its melted up a bit or at least all the wire casing is stuck together from oil coming out of the valve cover vent (I probably need to get a catch can set up). I was almost wondering if the second fan might be set to come on at a higher temp but I'm not sure how the temps would be set? There is mechanical temp thingy hooked up to the upper radiator hose but based on what I can tell, its connects to nothing else but the battery.

I saw someone on another forum talk about disconnecting the positive cable from the fuse thingy and tapping it on the positive battery terminal to confirm the fan still powers on. I suppose it should just power on if its connected directly to the battery. I'll probably go try that tomorrow

Well it has taken some time but I have finally gotten my Tire Carrier Swing Arm done.
BIG BIG BIG shout out to my fellow 470 GX buddy in Richmond Chris for all of his help.. Like doing the work and welding. I was just the helper and designer.

Picked the hottest weekend to do the work and sweated ourselves almost crazy.

3/16 2x3 Steel 10’ worth.
3.6 2x2 Steel 2’ worth
Hinge, latch, and tire carrier plate from 4x Innovations
License plate holder w/ LED light from Amazon
Body trim from Amazon
Wheel studs from Lexus Dealer
Black Paint from Autozone

I took Chris’s basic design he made for himself and slightly tweaked it into a version 2.0. Instead of just a straight bar we did some angels to help keep the arm from being too far out from the body. To ensure that the arm didn’t lose too much of its strength we opted to do “bird cuts” on the backside and bend the metal so that the outside face was intact, then we welded it in place.

Chris's original design

lexus arm cris orginal.jpg

My version 2.0

PXL_20220725_234213663.jpg

The plan was to run all the wiring inside of the arm to make it super clean but due to a slight mistake a shim was welded in that closed off the interior. We were racing against the clock at that point and could not remedy it at that time, perhaps in the future we will fix it. For now the wiring is on the back of the arm held in place with some zip ties.

Also i made a measuring mistake and cut the tire tree a bit short and the wheel does not sit flush to the plate but a spacer should fix that issue.

I have to say that the 4x Innovation parts are BEEFY!! and there wasn’t anything wrong with them at all.

Took roughly 2 days of steady work and a lot of sweating but I am SUPER happy with the results!

PXL_20220725_234245930.jpg

PXL_20220725_234223782.jpg

PXL_20220724_212432442.jpg

... and the most important part of the build so far.... the custom tag!!

PXL_20220724_235252950   90.jpg

Well it has taken some time but I have finally gotten my Tire Carrier Swing Arm done.
BIG BIG BIG shout out to my fellow 470 GX buddy in Richmond Chris for all of his help.. Like doing the work and welding. I was just the helper and designer.

Picked the hottest weekend to do the work and sweated ourselves almost crazy.

3/16 2x3 Steel 10’ worth.
3.6 2x2 Steel 2’ worth
Hinge, latch, and tire carrier plate from 4x Innovations
License plate holder w/ LED light from Amazon
Body trim from Amazon
Wheel studs from Lexus Dealer
Black Paint from Autozone

I took Chris’s basic design he made for himself and slightly tweaked it into a version 2.0. Instead of just a straight bar we did some angels to help keep the arm from being too far out from the body. To ensure that the arm didn’t lose too much of its strength we opted to do “bird cuts” on the backside and bend the metal so that the outside face was intact, then we welded it in place.

Chris's original design

View attachment 3069883

My version 2.0

View attachment 3069886

The plan was to run all the wiring inside of the arm to make it super clean but due to a slight mistake a shim was welded in that closed off the interior. We were racing against the clock at that point and could not remedy it at that time, perhaps in the future we will fix it. For now the wiring is on the back of the arm held in place with some zip ties.

Also i made a measuring mistake and cut the tire tree a bit short and the wheel does not sit flush to the plate but a spacer should fix that issue.

I have to say that the 4x Innovation parts are BEEFY!! and there wasn’t anything wrong with them at all.

Took roughly 2 days of steady work and a lot of sweating but I am SUPER happy with the results!

View attachment 3069888

View attachment 3069889

View attachment 3069890
Man that’s some nice work. Good job and congrats.
Only thing landcruiser I have done lately is use the winch to pull a nissan work van up on a trailer because the cam position sensor decided to take a dump.

3776B434-1FDD-4730-966E-D107258187AB.jpeg

Last edited:
mounted the LFD dual jerry can holder and rugged ridge Hi Lift mount to my second swing arm. i like this mount due to its compatibility with the front runner water jerry can with the built in spout ( has a cut out on the left to access the spout without having to remove the can ) Next on the list is front calipers, rotors, and all new bearings in the front. I'm tired of looking at all these parts sitting on the bench

swing 1.jpg

swing 2.jpg

swing.jpg

Last edited:
mounted the LFD dual jerry can holder and rugged ridge Hi Lift mount to my second swing arm. i like this mount due to its compatibility with the front runner water jerry can with the built in spout ( has a cut out on the left to access the spout without having to remove the can ) Next on the list is front calipers, rotors, and all new bearings in the front. I'm tired of looking at all these parts sitting on the bench

View attachment 3075669

View attachment 3075670

View attachment 3075671
But what will decorate your work bench now? Haha

As it should be :rofl:

Installed a new actuator assembly on the 200's transfer case for more consistent engagement of CDL and 4Lo. My write up is posted here in the 200 section:

1659922768254.png

I'm finally getting around to some Land Cruiser work. New Dobinson springs courtesy of @crikeymike. I'm trying to remove about an inch of height out of my front end. No more reverse stink bug for me. Even with disconnecting the sway bar and shocks I still had to rent a set of spring compressors to get these swapped.

I'm also working on my front axle and brakes but talking my time. I accidentally bought 70 series trunion bearings so that kind of slammed the breaks on that effort.

Old...
IMG_20220810_125927_01.jpg

New...
PXL_20220810_201907584.jpg
PXL_20220810_201913917.jpg

The 80 was fighting me today. First I found a knuckle stud broken. It came out without too much trouble. Thankfully I had 2 sets of knuckle studs and nuts on hand.

PXL_20220812_212112144.jpg
PXL_20220812_213107732.jpg

Then I found a messed up hub to rotor bolt. Anyone know the part number for this bolt? I assume I shouldn't try to cut off that end and use a die to clean it up?

PXL_20220812_235528934.jpg

Last edited:
For future reference.
20220813_091940.jpg
Sorry for the brutal glare.

I think he's got a mistake on there. He has these bolts circled but the part number he lists is the hub stud, not the bolt connecting the hub to the rotor.

I think he's got a mistake on there. He has these bolts circled but the part number he lists is the hub stud, not the bolt connecting the hub to the rotor.

TBH, wouldn't surprise me, based on my experience with him.

It's nice wall art, though. :)

Got the new shoes bolted onto the '67 FST.
Also bled the brakes a bit more. Replaced the master cylinder a while back and didn't drive the truck sue to the rotted tires.
Still could use a bit more bleed, I think.
20220813_135500.jpg

20220813_135526.jpg

Neighbor thought I was the mailman coming down the lane this AM. #MissionAccomplished :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom