Builds 79 Aussie BJ55 build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

re routed winch cables and wired up a mini loom for all the winch controllers: wireless, in cab, handheld and behind the front grill. tested the wired controllers and they work - yay! wireless controller has a flat battery and need to crimp the 5 core trailer wire ive pre rub to the in cab winch switch
i.php
i.php
i.php

Wow! That second pic is busy!😵‍💫
yeh i hear ya. those 00 wires are big suckers and dont conform very well. Add to that the air locker loom excess is there too, so things in that area are tight.

Well I got a heap of little things done today. in cab winch wiring done and tested, fixed my dual 12v gauge where the sensor wires were too short. finally got my 3 x redarc guages to dim with the rest of the dash lights. swapped in a dual usb qc3.0 charger where the cig light went so i have fast charging for my mobile.

and modified one of two dimmable motion detecting led strips. i cut one length in half and joined it with dual core wire so i can run a length of led strip along the top of each 3rd row window as an interior light.

i plan do the same to the other and use the two led strips on the inside of the barn doors for exterior lights when camping. both sets will be have master switches off the aux battery
i.php

I like that LED light idea. I really could use some interior lighting in my Pig.

I'll see how it goes at night, and once a rear bar l is made i can move the spare out of the cargo area....
full brightness:
i.php

dimmest setting:
i.php

So happy to see this completed and you enjoying your hard work. I remember seeing you driving the Blue BJ around Keperra area, was always a nice looking shorty.
Warren
Thanks mate!

Well holidays are over and its been a busy month! As mentioned above the pig has been off the road without a gearbox since June and this let me focus on other mods..

I got the front bar completed, along with some Hella Rallye 4000 Compacts for $50
i.php

Made some sliders/side steps
i.php

i.php

I bent up some brush bars but never fit them.. I've welded in captured nuts to the sliders to mount them to.
i.php

Got some new treads! 315/75R16 Toyo Open Country R/T's which meant I had to add flares to cover the wheels..
i.php

i.php

Started but didnt complete a rear bar in time for my trip...
i.php

I really want to keep the pintle hook for recoveries and the like..
i.php

Making some rear quarter protection.. but on second though I'll make these bolt on
i.php

i.php

Oh and my gearbox turned up Friday the week before leaving (on the Wednesday night)
i.php

i.php

And I managed to get it in and working by Saturday..

I'd also ordered new suspension but it didnt arrive in time. And the new tyres were too big to run so I opted for my 34 swampers for my trip..
i.php

i.php

The 2" lifted springs I had were clearly not rated for any weight and the spare/fridge/2nd battery and passengers were too much for it as you'll see later..

Heres some more photos from the event. I didnt take any photos of the pig.. credit to @fre55h for those..
i.php
i.php
i.php
i.php

i.php
i.php
i.php
i.php
i.php

Got front row seat on the boat on the way home..
i.php

not before the wife had me pick up a heap of stuff from IKEA
i.php
i.php

I also picked up my shocks and springs on the way home.
i.php

Some of the damage from the bottomed out springs
i.php
i.php

But now with the 315's and new 2" lift it sits a bit better
i.php
i.php
i.php

I'm still waiting on front sway bar extensions and steering dampener to arrive. Other carnage from the OCKA 2022 was power steering high pressure line.. the olive compression fitting on the hardline no longer sealed so I'm getting a fitting braised on along with a new hose..

When out wheeling on my trip I got totally diffed out in a big rut and needed to double line pull off a tree to get out.. Pleased to report the front panel, in cab controls worked as expected along with my front bar holding up to the strain.. the gearbox performed well but after being stuff I had no front drive for some reason.. after the recovery I unlocked hubs, drove forward, and locked hubs and the front shaft turned again.. so I'm hoping it was a once off.

On the steep stuff 2nd low was my go to for most descents, and 3rd low was my general usage low range gear.. there was one very steep part where I used 1st low and was on the accelerator for all of it.. no brakes at all! The control you get is insane and more than happy with the performance of the gears.

Great weekend away with you mate. Finally got to see the 55/80 in the pigskin. You won't know yourself with the 2" / 35s.

looks like a fun trip. I hope you learnt early on not to follow Billy!
Ive wheeled with Billy before in QLD in my bj42 and followed him up some nasty gully tracks before busting a CV.. so i know better than to try that in a freah build

Got my powersteering high pressure line in saturday, and then tested out clearance between the tyres and the remote res's on the shocks.. 35's rub on full stuff in the rear but everything else clears.
i.php
i.php
i.php
i.php
i.php
i.php

i.php

Well holidays are over and its been a busy month! As mentioned above the pig has been off the road without a gearbox since June and this let me focus on other mods..

I got the front bar completed, along with some Hella Rallye 4000 Compacts for $50
i.php

Made some sliders/side steps
i.php

i.php

I bent up some brush bars but never fit them.. I've welded in captured nuts to the sliders to mount them to.
i.php

Got some new treads! 315/75R16 Toyo Open Country R/T's which meant I had to add flares to cover the wheels..
i.php

i.php

Started but didnt complete a rear bar in time for my trip...
i.php

I really want to keep the pintle hook for recoveries and the like..
i.php

Making some rear quarter protection.. but on second though I'll make these bolt on
i.php

i.php

Oh and my gearbox turned up Friday the week before leaving (on the Wednesday night)
i.php

i.php

And I managed to get it in and working by Saturday..
What were the issues with the H55?
Glad you got it back in time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom