Need to replace alt, starter, valve cover gaskets...what else "while you're in there"? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
256k miles. My alt just died. My starter has been making occasional rattles (not fully disengaging at start), and my valve covers are leaking. I might as well knock all these out at once, and planning on having a local shop rebuilt the alt and starter.

What else should I replace while I'm doing this? I already have newer metal heater T's, maybe 3 years old.

Depends. How has the truck been maintained and how far do you want to go?

Assuming you are going to replace the spark plug tube seals since you will have the valve cover off. Have the spark plugs and ignition coils been replaced? Probably want to have a replacement plug for the alternator on hand since it might break on removal. Maybe add in cleaning the throttle body while you have it off, but if you are going that far you might as well clean the intake manifold since that likely has oil within it. Could also consider replacing the knock sensor connectors since they might be brittle. Back on the intake manifold, maybe consider getting the fuel injectors serviced and replacing the associated isolators/rubber bits. Although if you are going that far maybe add in changing out the fuel pulsation dampener… a lot of potential for scope creep.

Depends. How has the truck been maintained and how far do you want to go?

Assuming you are going to replace the spark plug tube seals since you will have the valve cover off. Have the spark plugs and ignition coils been replaced? Probably want to have a replacement plug for the alternator on hand since it might break on removal. Maybe add in cleaning the throttle body while you have it off, but if you are going that far you might as well clean the intake manifold since that likely has oil within it. Could also consider replacing the knock sensor connectors since they might be brittle. Back on the intake manifold, maybe consider getting the fuel injectors serviced and replacing the associated isolators/rubber bits. Although if you are going that far maybe add in changing out the fuel pulsation dampener… a lot of potential for scope creep.

lol scope creep.. you can say that again..

Water crossover bridge gaskets (4 total)
This is new to me. I'll do some searching to find details, but is this what it's typically called? Or does "water crossover bridge" have a different name I should look for?

This is new to me. I'll do some searching to find details, but is this what it's typically called? Or does "water crossover bridge" have a different name I should look for?
@J1000 is referring to the front and rear water by-pass joints. If you go into that maybe consider the thermostat as well?

Why not rebuild the OEM alternator (if you still got the OEM) with just an OEM brush kit $15? Mine at 245K miles and I replaced the brush kit and all is good!

If you replace the starter, I suggest replacing the knock sensors that are right beside the starter.

Why not rebuild the OEM alternator (if you still got the OEM) with just an OEM brush kit $15? Mine at 245K miles and I replaced the brush kit and all is good!
I didn't know it was as simple as replacing brushes. Well hell why does anyone bother replacing the alt if a kit is that cheap?

How can I tell if my alt is the original?

I didn't know it was as simple as replacing brushes. Well hell why does anyone bother replacing the alt if a kit is that cheap?

How can I tell if my alt is the original?

The bearings could go out, but that seems relatively rare. It's only $15 to try. I'm on my OG alternator with new brushes, similar mileage.

Don't know the answer to the second question, but at ~250K, very possible to be original.

The bearings could go out, but that seems relatively rare. It's only $15 to try...

Don't know the answer to the second question, but at ~250K, very possible to be original.
It has been whining pretty terribly, might be a bearing?. To give you an idea, I thought it was my power steering pump running dry, sounded exactly like that. I'll know for sure when I pull it, obviously.

It has been whining pretty terribly, might be a bearing?. To give you an idea, I thought it was my power steering pump running dry, sounded exactly like that. I'll know for sure when I pull it, obviously.

There is almost nothing off an alternator that can't be rebuilt. I replaced mine with a reman denso and rebuilt the original as a spare. If its not the magnet and spring, it's still worth it to take it to a shop to replace the bearing and whatnot to keep as a spare. It will be a fraction of cost compared to a reman alternator.

The shop rebuilt my alternator and had it back to me the same day, which is pretty great. They replaced the rectifier diode and brushes, and sold me a new plug/pigtail for the main plug, $120 total. They said the bearing is in great shape.

I need to get this running asap, so the starter and other stuff will wait. But currently my shopping list is:
2 knock sensors
2 connectors for knock sensors
starter rebuild
intake manifold gaskets
valve cover gaskets
water bypass gaskets
throttle body cleaner
and I very well might get the injectors serviced and replace the PD, there's a local turbo/diesel/injector shop I've used in the past

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom