EGR Temp Sensor Test Plug (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It almost looks like you have picked the wrong plug on the harness. Unless the connector on the harness has been changed you should see it there.
Here is what you should see on yours. Let me see a pic of the temp sensor you removed too, that will answer it as well.

Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 8.43.06 PM.png

Super happy with this product. But I am curious, will this product keep my EGR pipe from heating up and melting the wiring harness on my rig?

Thanks

Super happy with this product. But I am curious, will this product keep my EGR pipe from heating up and melting the wiring harness on my rig?

Thanks
Yep, it should.

👍 👍:beer:

Yep, it should.
I have a ‘94. Have replaced all EGR components with new OEM except a used sensor off a functioning engine. Still getting error codes for EGR! I live in Ca but in a county not requiring smog checks. Can I simply use your bypass plug and not block the vacuum tubes? I do not think I care about EGR functioning, I just want the CEL to go away. It bugs me. Will I cause a problem leaving the EGR intact except bypassing the sensor? Thanks for any advice.
John

I have a ‘94. Have replaced all EGR components with new OEM except a used sensor off a functioning engine. Still getting error codes for EGR! I live in Ca but in a county not requiring smog checks. Can I simply use your bypass plug and not block the vacuum tubes? I do not think I care about EGR functioning, I just want the CEL to go away. It bugs me. Will I cause a problem leaving the EGR intact except bypassing the sensor? Thanks for any advice.
John
The plug alone should take care of the code.

I shotgun’d my EGR CEL woes by replacing the EGR valve, modulator, vsv and vacuum tubes. The problem continued. I did not attack the TB and ports others have suggested. Maybe I should have. Finally got a temp sensor salvaged from a supposedly functioning EGR system. That changed the near constant CEL to an off and on CEL. OK, that is enough. I don’t care if the EGR system functions or not. That orange CEL annoys me. Although I live in California (any condolences appreciated), emission testing is by county and my farm country county does not require smog checks. So, I got Huddexpo’s EGR plug kit using only the sensor bypass plug, left the sensor in place and did not use the ball bearings or allen screw. Zip tied the by-pass plug and the disconnected sensor plug out of harms way. The car runs great and no CEL!

83E16E37-6868-4C86-B1AC-45FF655879E8.jpeg

I've had this since they first went up for sale with no issues, love it. I recently moved to a state with emissions. I think I want to reactivate the EGR for my best chances of passing the NOx tests and possibly the visual inspection. Has anyone successfully removed the ball bearings from the hoses? I'm wondering if replacing the hosing might be easier. Does anyone know what size hosing I should buy?

I've had this since they first went up for sale with no issues, love it. I recently moved to a state with emissions. I think I want to reactivate the EGR for my best chances of passing the NOx tests and possibly the visual inspection. Has anyone successfully removed the ball bearings from the hoses? I'm wondering if replacing the hosing might be easier. Does anyone know what size hosing I should buy?
3.5mm. OEM is 90999-92003 or -92004
90999-92004.jpg

OEM Vacuum Hose Kit- 3.5mm - https://absolute-wits-end.com/oem-vacuum-hose-kit-3-5mm/

Does it make sense to delete the modulators and block off the pipe? Or just leave the ball bearings in the vacuum lines?

This kit has been working for me for quite some time along with passing my last smog test.
You passed emission testing with this installed? Did you see an increase in NOx levels?

You passed emission testing with this installed? Did you see an increase in NOx levels?
I passed with mine installed... but I also live in a state that doesn't measure nox... or really do anything but plug in OBD 2 and check for codes

There are lots of rigs passing emissions with these installed.

Seems that way. Mine is still pretty low miles (<170000) and has never failed. Seems like I need to solve the current P0401 code first? I just need to wait for the temperature to drop below 10,000 degrees here first.

:lol:

Seems that way. Mine is still pretty low miles (<170000) and has never failed. Seems like I need to solve the current P0401 code first? I just need to wait for the temperature to drop below 10,000 degrees here first.

:lol:
Hey, I just wanted to clarify some confusion I'm having about "readiness." Once this test plug is installed and everything is A OK, does unhooking the battery, for whatever reason, revert the system to "not ready?" Do you have to return everything to stock/normal and run some drive cycles to remove that code?

You may never have readiness. The plug handles the light/code but not readiness. If you start with readiness when the plug is installed it will maintain readiness, if not the code/light will clear but you won’t get readiness. In order to achieve readiness you not only need the appropriate drive cycle but another set of relays to deal with the ECM requirements for readiness.

That stuff is mentioned earlier in this thread, but here is more readiness info too. EGR Readiness Achieved with EGR Removed! - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/egr-readiness-achieved-with-egr-removed.437888/page-5

Last edited:
Guys I just want to report that I was able to achieve readiness by using a different value resistor and then use the HUDDEXPO PLUG to keep the light off. No erg sensor installed or modulator.
I ordered a resistor kit for around $5 from Amazon then I used a paper clip and some alligator clips and plugged that MacGyver system into the EGR sensor plug. I think the resistor was 100k or 150k or 200k, one of those. I left me code scanner in the OBD2 port and took drive. It took about 1 minute of driving to achieve readiness. I pulled over and popped the HUDEXPO plug and went straight to the smog station and passed.

Short story: I got my cats stolen at the airport. I had to smog the car but the Smog techs OBD2 scan the car for readiness. I could not achieve readiness with the HUDDEXPO plug or with the original EGR equipment. I figured if the ECU used a value for the EGR code, it must use a value for OB2 readiness given that the erg sensor is just a basic 2 wire sensor.

You may never have readiness. The plug handles the light/code but not readiness. If you start with readiness when the plug is installed it will maintenance readiness, if not the code/light will clear but you won’t get readiness. In order to achieve readiness you not only need the appropriate drive cycle but another set of relays to deal with the ECM requirements for readiness.

That stuff is mentioned earlier in this thread, but here is more readiness info too. EGR Readiness Achieved with EGR Removed! - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/egr-readiness-achieved-with-egr-removed.437888/page-5
That was kind of my question I guess. My EGR system is "in readiness", no codes, so I'm ready!

I've read every one of those threads and I'm all, o_Oo_Oo_O

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom