Scheel-Mann Seat Install (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thought I would offer an update after a year + of use and after I completed another 3660 mile trip to Utah and back to TN.

The trip included 2 ~700 mile 12 hour hwy days 4 ~4/500 mile 8/9 hour hwy days, 4 10-12 hour trail days and some ancillary running around mixed in and my satisfaction is as high as ever with these seats. It is great to finish up a long day in the seat and feel as good as you started the morning, the only difference being ready for a cold beer!

I keep a 303 protectant on the sides and clean the center when needed with the 303 cleaner. I have been using their products for years and am happy you can find it in most auto parts stores or online vs. having to go to an RV or Marine retailer.

Here is picture of the driver’s side to give an idea of how they are holding up!

View attachment 3007077

We can stop that wear to the outer bolster quickly. We have to change the way we get into the vehicle. It will save all your seats from wearing.

Don't drag your rear over the bolster. When getting in, put your butt in the center of the seat first, then rotate your legs into the vehicle second.

I had an auto upholstery shop explain this to me when having other car seats refreshed. After I changed the way I get in, I have seats with over 250k miles on them, and the outer bolster still looks good.

People just don't know how to get into a car/truck.

you cannot be anymore truthful....I tell my wife..."Hey fat ass, Please stop sliding in/out of my truck"

OH, and I happen to have a Scheel Mann seat in my 100 for the past year. Zero wear.

It is a game changer (I'm 6'1"). The factory seats were aggravating my sciatica. This seat has been a huge improvement.

I travel a lot and hate getting in rent cars as none have seats this good.

Only issue is I'm trying to turn off the occupancy sensor and even the air bag sensor. Used a resistor for the later and it still illuminates.

We can stop that wear to the outer bolster quickly. We have to change the way we get into the vehicle. It will save all your seats from wearing.

Don't drag your rear over the bolster. When getting in, put your butt in the center of the seat first, then rotate your legs into the vehicle second.

I had an auto upholstery shop explain this to me when having other car seats refreshed. After I changed the way I get in, I have seats with over 250k miles on them, and the outer bolster still looks good.

People just don't know how to get into a car/truck.
That works if you have a slider or running board to step on to get in position to do the manuver you mention. Or a sport car that you "get down into". Those of us that live in snow country do that and smack our boots together a few times to get the snow and ice out of the treads before rotating onto the floorboards to help keep them as clear as possible. But my point is, it's tough to do this manuver if you're hanging on to the seat bolster with your butt just to get into the rig. Understanding this might be motivation to some to get what is necessary (step/slider or whatever) to ease entry into their rig - especially when spending $2K or more just for seats.

I've heard and seen all the rave reviews on these seats - but there's very little info on how well they wear over time. Factory seats generally last a decade or longer but generally aftermarket seats (Recaro, Corbeau) don't last as long. How do the Scheel-Manns fare?

I would love to see photos of some driver side thigh bolsters (where you rub when getting in and out of the truck. Please include how long the seats have been in use and how many miles.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I've heard and seen all the rave reviews on this seats - but there's very liitle info on how well they wear over time. Factory seats generally last a decade or longer but generally aftermarket seats (Recaro, Corbeau) don't last as long. How do the Scheel-Manns fare?

I would love to see photos of some driver side thigh bolsters (where you rub when getting in and out of the truck. Please include how long the seats have been in use and how many miles.

Thanks!
The seats hold up great in my opinion. Virtually no wear after about 7k miles and 2 years of use. Just saw Toby and his wife at Rennsport in Monterey. They have a really sick VW Bus with custom seats.

IMG_2083.jpeg

IMG_2055.jpeg

My Vario XXL-R's have held up quite well for the last 3 years and about 19,000 miles. I did have one small issue with the leatherette. Not the fault of the seat and Toby was still quick to make it right. So I was very appreciative of that and feel they stand behind their products. I'm not sure what other seat manufacturer has a goto rep like Toby you can call or text anytime and get a quick response. White glove service right there.

How is the seat heating? Are they on/off or multiple settings? Strong heating elements that cover a lot of area?

How is the seat heating? Are they on/off or multiple settings? Strong heating elements that cover a lot of area?
I used the switch that came with the seat. It is a 3 position switch, High on top, off in the middle and low on the bottom.

Pic shows switch location (circled)
IMG_1566a1.jpg

For efficiency, it works well. You'd expect that for a $2K seat.

The SM heated seats come with a 3-position switch; Hi-Lo-Off. We wired them to the Hi setting front and rear off two switches. Works great!

IMG_2112.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom