1978 FJ40 Slow build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wheels back from being powder coating today and have new 33x10.5x15 BFG KO2s mounted. I’m just amazed how well it drives with a little larger tire. It drives like a completely different vehicle. Literally think I could comfortably drive it anywhere now, as long as it’s less than 80 degrees and I’m not on a schedule.
C1F75381-8236-4371-88F3-CB477C6FC0C0.jpeg

3E7D761A-6D2B-4F3E-9563-1460E20CB145.jpeg

Last edited:
Purchased a winch and battery/winch battery cables from @Fourrunner. Could not have asked for everything to turn out better. Not only did @Fourrunner deliver amazing cables and a nicely refreshed 8274, he was super helpful on answering so many questions and offering advice. Can’t say enough how great it was buying the cables and winch. If you need either cables and/or a winch, you won’t be disappointed working with @Fourrunner!

View attachment 2819740
View attachment 2819741
View attachment 2819742
Looks great! Question about your battery cables for the winch. Did you use the shorter set in the engine bay or the longer set?

Looks great! Question about your battery cables for the winch. Did you use the shorter set in the engine bay or the longer set?
Originally I had the shorter side running from the winch to just under the bonnet and resting on the crossmember, and the longer set connected to the battery with the wires running along the side and behind the washer fluid reservoir and then turned down to be available to connect. It worked PERFECT, then got the idea of changing it since it was a little bit of a reach to grab the Anderson connector on the shorter cable to the winch. I asked @Fourrunner to extend the shorter cable and sent it and the Anderson connector back to reuse. The now longer cable still runs beneath the bonnet and extends up alongside the radiator. Problem I’m having is the winch motor gets hot with wisps of smoke when operating (only thing that changed is length of cable).

Originally I had the shorter side running from the winch to just under the bonnet and resting on the crossmember, and the longer set connected to the battery with the wires running along the side and behind the washer fluid reservoir and then turned down to be available to connect. It worked PERFECT, then got the idea of changing it since it was a little bit of a reach to grab the Anderson connector on the shorter cable to the winch. I asked @Fourrunner to extend the shorter cable and sent it and the Anderson connector back to reuse. The now longer cable still runs beneath the bonnet and extends up alongside the radiator. Problem I’m having is the winch motor gets hot with wisps of smoke when operating (only thing that changed is length of cable).
I have the shorter set in the engine bay and they seem to be a little short. I reached out the Mark to see if he can lengthen them. Otherwise they are incredible cables and look forward to a longer set. Great looking rig by the way!

I have the shorter set in the engine bay and they seem to be a little short. I reached out the Mark to see if he can lengthen them. Otherwise they are incredible cables and look forward to a longer set. Great looking rig by the way!
Thanks! Mark definitely makes a good set of cables!

Decided it was time to take on the headliner since it’s too hot to be driving around without A/C. It’s been an unusually hot and dry year in South Texas.

Removed the top and unfortunately found some rust along the rear driver side header, side panel, and tub.

E4F4BC42-1A24-4C24-837B-C998C68715ED.jpeg

It could probably be repaired pretty easily but found a top and door set in West Texas that has been in storage for 20 years. Rust free but Free Born Red (couldn’t be lucky enough for it to be beige 416, but happy with the condition of it all).

28BE7A2A-798A-449A-BBF7-61B3F9940AF3.jpeg

Spent time today removing the old weather stripping from the front and ambi doors. Was really happy with the condition. Only one ambi door had minor surface rust.

235398E0-FA47-48AF-B77A-A75E2057FEBD.jpeg

E54ADCBA-1753-4266-889D-F58B374246AF.jpeg

65D0C1F8-1B61-43D4-9F0D-BAB8EE9B7536.jpeg

46779979-821F-4EE6-BE7C-841594E75025.jpeg

A previous owner decided an antenna was needed so cut a hole in the fiberglass roof. It’s been sealed up well but unfortunately not something I will use.

9FE1ED1D-42DE-47D5-989F-1C8CC9E52B8B.jpeg
209B60DC-B97A-44B6-898E-7F8079F23E70.jpeg

CE59D4B3-4F95-435D-91D6-7A58E69367BB.jpeg

The hole seems to be sealed up really well, but just not something I want to use and will install the new headliner in the original roof. But, really happy with the condition of the side panels and doors. The dry West Texas climate was good for preserving these.

Last edited:
You did that headliner install Bloomer?

When can I drop mine off??
No, that’s the one with the hole in the roof. I’m not looking forward to the job on the original roof. If the roof I found in Midland didn’t have the patch job, I’d be ok with just using it and not trying to do the headliner on my original roof. There are a couple spots the headliner is pulling away on the roof I purchased but I’d be ok with it if it didn’t have the patch work. Will post pics of my attempt at installing a headliner when I get to doing it. Might make for a good laugh.

I got my top out the other day and had dreams of putting a headliner in. I studied it a while and decided to wave off and just do my best at re-attaching it where it was sagging and loose. So I used a bunch of Super 77 and got most of it stuck. I think it's already starting to let go again - but when the time comes to do it right and replace I will have to take it somewhere. I don't have the experience or patience - I'd just waste a good headliner. I've done enough work on it for 2022 - it's almost time to enjoy it a while.

Did you drive out to Midland and get that? Was anything green and alive between you and Permain Basin?

I got my top out the other day and had dreams of putting a headliner in. I studied it a while and decided to wave off and just do my best at re-attaching it where it was sagging and loose. So I used a bunch of Super 77 and got most of it stuck. I think it's already starting to let go again - but when the time comes to do it right and replace I will have to take it somewhere. I don't have the experience or patience - I'd just waste a good headliner. I've done enough work on it for 2022 - it's almost time to enjoy it a while.

Did you drive out to Midland and get that? Was anything green and alive between you and Permain Basin?
Really was hoping I could use this top and not have to take on the headliner. Have not heard of anyone enjoying the process of installing one. I have the headliner and Permatex ready to go, but procastinating getting started.

Drove out to Midland and back all in the same day pulling a 24’ enclosed trailer. Made for a long day. Hot and dry, and everything in between was brown. We are in need for rain in a bad way!

Have not been good about updating here. Took the 40 in to have the rust spot on the tub repaired and the new top sides stripped and painted beige. While there, I had the bottom of all doors sand blasted and painted and new weather stripping installed. Painted everything with single stage and color match is pretty good. They could have done a better job blending the areas on the tub that were painted, but am more happy about having the rust cut out and new metal in its place.

27F25255-6D0D-41DE-AD6E-08CF9FE65E05.jpeg

Started today reinstalling windows and new OEM seals. One side done and started on the corner window of the other.
7C0F3D41-2862-412F-9A95-BA3C30EB685E.jpeg

Last edited:
Had some time today to work on the 40 and started replacing the windshield frame gasket that goes on the cowling. There wasn’t any leaks that I know of, but figured since I was replacing all the other weather seals and gaskets, I’d go ahead and do this one too.

I searched and didn’t find a good thread on dealing with the wires that need to be removed for the wiper motor (passenger side) and interior light (driver side). Wires on both side have pins that can be separated to pull the wires through the holes in the cowling/gasket.

The interior light on DS is a single pin wire connection. I found the pin on mine to the left of the steering wheel column in a wiring harness.

The ash tray frame must be removed to access wiper motor wire pins on the PS. There are 4 pin connections for this wiring harness, two were located up high and two followed the wires down further behind the blower vent system.

The 2 upper pins.
IMG_2780.jpeg

The 2 lower pins.
IMG_2779.jpeg

There is also a tube on the PS that routes washer fluid to the windshield sprayer. There was already a splice in the line on mine as it ran through the glove box so easy enough to separate it there.

Few pics of the old gasket, cleaned surface, and new gasket.
IMG_2781.jpeg

IMG_2784.jpeg

IMG_2785.jpeg

Appreciate that. Wasn’t there when I disassembled so can’t say I knew that’s where it went. There’s a slight chance I actually may have it, and just didn’t register to put it on since it wasn’t in place when I disassembled things. If not, I’ll be ordering. Thanks for mentioning!

Just the wires or the washer fluid hose too? I’m guessing both as I’m not sure you could pass the hose around it.

The grommet is spiral split so everything should fit. After wrapping the grommet around the wires I e-taped the ends of the grommet-pretty self evident when you have the grommet in hand.

Rainy, cold (for South Tx) day allowed some time in the garage without feeling like I was in a sweat box. Was pretty nice for a change.

Top sides back on, rear header installed and old top set in place. I have a new top that was recently repaired, but needs painted. I debated on waiting to install the top but decided to just install the old one and swap it out once the new one is painted.
IMG_2824.jpeg

IMG_2825.jpeg

IMG_2826.jpeg

Top is on, rear doors on, just have windows to install now. It was near impossible to close the rear doors with new seals. Basically had to close them together so the doors latched, then forced them over the door catch as one unit. Hoping letting them sit closed for awhile will compress the seals and allow me to better align.

IMG_2832.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom