Builds Box Rocket 1990 SAS Pickup (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Your truck and fab skills are great! I wish i could build like that especially bumpers. But ill end up going the after market route.

I tried to zoom in but i can not make it out. What size tires are you running? And are they true to size? I am running 37”mtrs which are sitting around 35-1/2” which is pretty much as tall as i can go with out too much rubbing. I want a the same tires you have but im having a tough time with the sizing difference. Would hate to get 37s to find out they are “real” 37s lol.

Kiler truck looking forward to more posts!

Your truck and fab skills are great! I wish i could build like that especially bumpers. But ill end up going the after market route.

I tried to zoom in but i can not make it out. What size tires are you running? And are they true to size? I am running 37”mtrs which are sitting around 35-1/2” which is pretty much as tall as i can go with out too much rubbing. I want a the same tires you have but im having a tough time with the sizing difference. Would hate to get 37s to find out they are “real” 37s lol.

Kiler truck looking forward to more posts!
The tires are 35x12.50R15
They measure out at 34.75"

With the exception of the doors the wrap is done. For my first time wrapping a vehicle I'm pretty happy with the outcome. I'm definitely no pro and there are some imperfections. I also didn't worry about fixing every dent in the body so there are still dents but it looks better than it did.
I'm going to work on the doors this week but will probably keep running the tube doors for a bit longer.

Untitled by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Couple small additions this week. While I'm still working on the doors and running the tube doors I needed some side mirrors. For a pretty small price I added some UTV mirrors that had tube clamp mounts. Made for a 5 min install. Not for everyone but they work great for the tube doors.

The other addition was the factory tailgate decals. I ordered them in gold to match the small stripe on the hood. I love how the gold is working on the red.

Didn't get many pics but I put in all new sound deadening in the cab, and installed the ACC replacement OEM carpet (black). We will be painting or covering the dash in black too as part of the process of blacking out the interior. Trying to decide what to do with the seats. They are 4runner buckets that are in really good shape. I've thought about dying them black but I might just get some Wet Okole's or something like that that is made to fit the seats well. Any ideas?

Finished up the doors finally. I removed the old nasty tint that was on the windows and applied some new 20% tint. It was my first time doing tint so we'll see how it holds up. This completes the last of the vinyl wrap. Also put the spare set of 37's on for a bit while I do some work on the Mickey Thompson wheels.

Also made some progress on the interior. Leather wrapped the dash and also the steering wheel center. The dash was in pretty good shape but the blue wasn't going to work. The steering wheel was nasty so the new leather on the wheel is MUCH better.

Part of the dash work was moving the aftermarket tach that the PO mounted to the top of the dash. I wanted to keep the tach and decided to mount it to the top of the steering column cover. It's just the right size to visually fit inside the numbers of the speedometer. The instrument cluster has new white LEDs and the tach is a warmer light which sets it off visually from the speedometer so both are clearly visible.

I made a 3D model of a Birfield shift knob and sent it to @Outsane who printed a few for me.

Next up is getting the sliders done.

Finished up the doors finally. I removed the old nasty tint that was on the windows and applied some new 20% tint. It was my first time doing tint so we'll see how it holds up. This completes the last of the vinyl wrap. Also put the spare set of 37's on for a bit while I do some work on the Mickey Thompson wheels.

Wow this turned out great!

Any tips for somebody going about doing a wrap? I have a pickup/crawler project I was contemplating painting….but as something that’s surely going to take some abuse the wrap seems like a great option that I never considered.

Wow this turned out great!

Any tips for somebody going about doing a wrap? I have a pickup/crawler project I was contemplating painting….but as something that’s surely going to take some abuse the wrap seems like a great option that I never considered.
I’m not sure yet how well the wrap is going to hold up to abuse. Hopefully at least as well as paint.

working on suspension lately. Pulled the rear leaf springs to replace bushings and worn out shackle pivot hangers. Broke a bunch of bolts in the process, including the spring center pins when pulling them apart for a cleaning. Good times. I'm planning to pull a leaf or two from each of the spring packs to see if I can get the height down an inch or two. If anyone has done that and has suggestions on which leafs to remove I'd love to hear your thoughts. I have 8 leaf AllPro springs (I think) and I'm planning to pull the 3rd from the bottom and maybe one more. Front suspension gets the same treatment as soon as the rear is back together.

working on suspension lately. Pulled the rear leaf springs to replace bushings and worn out shackle pivot hangers. Broke a bunch of bolts in the process, including the spring center pins when pulling them apart for a cleaning. Good times. I'm planning to pull a leaf or two from each of the spring packs to see if I can get the height down an inch or two. If anyone has done that and has suggestions on which leafs to remove I'd love to hear your thoughts. I have 8 leaf AllPro springs (I think) and I'm planning to pull the 3rd from the bottom and maybe one more. Front suspension gets the same treatment as soon as the rear is back together.

i pulled the smallest and the one above the clamp. ultimately they went back in in a couple years.

Did you put them back in because you didn't like the result or because the springs settled, or.....?
yes. on the 4Runner the added weight and a little neglect ended up settling them a bit.
then more camping weigh required them to be added back to stay off the bumps.

i need to get some customs build for my payload.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom