Any risk to using a R134A can to refill a KZj78? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

A/C just started pumping warm air during the hottest week in Seattle - perfect timing!

While I know there could be a handful of causes, I just wanted to start with the easiest potential solution (from my perspective) using an AC Recharge kit like this.

But I noticed it specifically calls out its 'r134a' and it made me wonder if I should be using something different for the prado. I've sifted through the JP manuals I have but can't see a direct reference to this fluid spec. Looking for a thumbs up from someone else that it's not the worst idea to try one of these cans.

I suspect it needs this recharge because all the liquids on this prado has needed replacement recently - I don't think the previous owner drove it for years.

Thanks in advance. For anyone else, I did read this thread too which was insightful.

Looks like people are saying the '94 (which is mine) uses the r134a while older ones used R12. Credit: here

Hey everyone,

A/C just started pumping warm air during the hottest week in Seattle - perfect timing!

While I know there could be a handful of causes, I just wanted to start with the easiest potential solution (from my perspective) using an AC Recharge kit like this.

But I noticed it specifically calls out its 'r134a' and it made me wonder if I should be using something different for the prado. I've sifted through the JP manuals I have but can't see a direct reference to this fluid spec. Looking for a thumbs up from someone else that it's not the worst idea to try one of these cans.

I suspect it needs this recharge because all the liquids on this prado has needed replacement recently - I don't think the previous owner drove it for years.

Thanks in advance. For anyone else, I did read this thread too which was insightful.
Those recharge kits aren't great. For about the same cost you could buy real manifold gauges (+/- $40) and a can of r134a (+/- $12). You'd have to learn to use the manifold gauges, but there are tons of good youtube videos on that. The benefit aside from the fact that you'll own the gauges for future use is the gauges might help you figure out what's wrong. The recharge kits can really only add more refrigerant while manifold gauges can also tell you both high and low side pressures which with some internet sleuthing might help suggest other problems. So... it's not the worst idea to try one of those kits, but for the same cost and a little more effort there's a better option.

I've imported two Prados and both had ac issues. The first was more problematic and required replacing the OE condenser with a universal condenser (OE version out of production) plus custom refrigerant lines since the new condenser is a different size and shape. The second looks like it will be simpler as I'm pretty sure it's just slow leaks from an o-ring or two near one of the condenser fittings. One of them I knew had a week ac system when I bought it at auction. The other I think they charged up before running it through the auction so it tested as fine at the time, but by the time I got it, it was evident it needed help.

Good luck.

There should be a sticker or imprint on the compressor that tell which fluid it needs.
The big cinnectors are also a goid indication for R134a.
I do not recommend a DIY job on the A/C fill. Professionals evacuate the system first and weight (not pressure rate!) the remaining fluid and do a refill with the exact spec amount of fluid. They also add UV indicator and check for leaks. Not to mention cleaning and sanitation of the air-side parts.
Good luck Ralf

I do not recommend a DIY job on the A/C fill.

Things may be different in Germany but getting r134a refill is pretty easy here in the states (at least in Texas). Any auto parts store has disposable refill cans for r134a that are simple to use if your only intent is to refill.

UPDATE: Ended up taking it to a shop to vacuum it out and refill with the r134a. It was just short some of the refrigerant thankfully. Going smooth and cold now.

You actually inspired me to work on my A/C, too (+ the 95°F we have here right now).
The A/C on my rig has however been out of operation for about 6 years now. Bringing this back to life probably takes more than just a recharge.
I checked the electrical today and put a belt on the compressor. Clutch engages, but I must not spin it without lubricating refrigerant in it.
I laterally just returned from the truck when I saw your thread.
Will have to take it to a shop to have it pressure tested with nitrogen and UV indicator. Keep fingers crossed 🤞.
More in a separate thread.
Cheers Ralf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom