LX570 AHC Globe/Accumulator Replacement (30 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well I'm in a bit of a pickle...

Started the accumulator replacement project on my LX, and have been unable to remove the DF accumulator. The bolt keeps wanting to round out (pic attached). I've tried just about everything - breaker bar, impact gun, torque wrench, vise grips. Each time the bolt seems to want to give way, but no movement from the accumulator. I've ordered a bolt extractor socket, and am waiting for that to come in. Has anyone else had this much trouble? I tried locating a socket with non-tapered corners but had no luck.

On a side note, is there any issue in attempting to move on to the other globes before getting the DF off? Obviously from a bleeding standpoint, you want to go DF, DR, PF, PR.

View attachment 3074048View attachment 3074049
This happened to me and I eventually ended up drilling a hole in the shell and jamming a pry bar in. You’ll be puncturing the nitrogen membrane so drill slowly.

This happened to me and I eventually ended up drilling a hole in the shell and jamming a pry bar in. You’ll be puncturing the nitrogen membrane so drill slowly.
I'm glad you mentioned this. I have one globe that the bolt head broke clean off the globe. I've been hesitant to drill it because I wasn't sure with the nitrogen if something would go "boom" or what would happen. 🤷‍♂️ !
IMG_3529.PNG

I'm glad you mentioned this. I have one globe that the bolt head broke clean off the globe. I've been hesitant to drill it because I wasn't sure with the nitrogen if something would go "boom" or what would happen. 🤷‍♂️ !
View attachment 3074420

No boom in my case but it did hiss for a surprisingly long time.

Well I'm in a bit of a pickle...

Started the accumulator replacement project on my LX, and have been unable to remove the DF accumulator. The bolt keeps wanting to round out (pic attached). I've tried just about everything - breaker bar, impact gun, torque wrench, vise grips. Each time the bolt seems to want to give way, but no movement from the accumulator. I've ordered a bolt extractor socket, and am waiting for that to come in. Has anyone else had this much trouble? I tried locating a socket with non-tapered corners but had no luck.

On a side note, is there any issue in attempting to move on to the other globes before getting the DF off? Obviously from a bleeding standpoint, you want to go DF, DR, PF, PR.
I don't remember if there is space to use a strap wrench or not. But if there is, you could try one around the accumulator: https://amzn.to/3cSwLyi

Well I was able to get that first one off with a bolt extractor. The next two were easy with a standard breaker bar. But on the 4th one (PR), i managed to round it out again. The bolt extractor was unsuccessful on this one for some reason. No luck yet.

I might have someone weld. a new bolt on to the end and give it another go.

I don't believe there is enough room for a strap wrench. That accumulator is tucked up high enough that its hard to get ahold of the sides with anything more than your hand.

Well I was able to get that first one off with a bolt extractor. The next two were easy with a standard breaker bar. But on the 4th one (PR), i managed to round it out again. The bolt extractor was unsuccessful on this one for some reason. No luck yet.

I might have someone weld. a new bolt on to the end and give it another go.

I don't believe there is enough room for a strap wrench. That accumulator is tucked up high enough that its hard to get ahold of the sides with anything more than your hand.
If you have an impact tool that really helps.

You use run of the mill sockets? Not to be a tool elitist, but sometimes a good socket makes all the difference

Yeah, I like impact or 6 points for this. NOT 12 points. I rounded one and had to move to the impact socket.

Well, I got the project all wrapped up yesterday. Thanks again to all of you for providing the info to make this job possible. I definitely would not have been able to get through this if I didn't have this thread to follow.

I thought I'd go ahead and do my part by adding my experience in so it can help others in the future as well.

The toughest part of this project on my LX was removing 2 of the accumulators from the vehicle (Driver Front and Passenger Rear). I believe the issue with the Driver Front was me not accounting for the slight angle in which the accumulators are mounted. I went straight on and rounded the bolt using a 6 point socket and breaker bar. I ended up buying an extractor bolt (21mm) which was able to break that sucker loose.

The next two (Driver Rear and Passenger Front) were super easy to remove. Then on the last one (Passenger Rear), I again had issues removing it. This time I believe the accumulator was either torqued too tight or there may have been some rust holding it in. Whatever the case was, I couldn't get it to budge. Tried everything including a breaker bar, the extractor socket, and an impact gun. Eventually, I broke the bolt clean off of the accumulator. Talk about a moment of panic.

IMG_1745.JPG

I called a mechanic friend and we ended up having to use a strap wrench on it which finally did the job. However, it was not possible to do this without removing the running board. There simply wasn't enough room to get any leverage or to get the strap around the fattest part of the accumulator. Removing the running board gave us the space needed, and also made it so much easier to bleed that side of the vehicle.

IMG_1729.JPG

IMG_1748.JPG

Here are some of the items I would make sure to have on hand if I were to do it again
  • Harbor Freight Fluid Transfer Pump (as others have mentioned on this thread, this made adding the new AHC fluid to the reservoir much easier)
  • Stubby 10mm spanner (for the rear bleeders) - Amazon product ASIN B0076HLA18
  • 21mm extractor socket (in case the bolts get rounded)
  • 21mm non-beveled 6-point socket (I believe these are called Chamferless. I was unable to find one myself but it likely would have prevented the bolts from being rounded)

“After clearing the debris from the pump, the AHC functions as normal. I suspect I may still have some air in the system as sometimes it drives amazing, and other times it is noticeably much harsher on the same roads.”

I have had similar experiences With harsher rides on same roads. Like you I’m thinking air in the system or impurities in the fluid. My fluid change was all from cans and looked good. I possibly could have gotten road grime/debris into the reservoir when filling. There was some grime on top of my can from the wheel well after I was done filling. Hoping things work themselves out, have only had the “rough” ride maybe 1 out of 10 trips.

Just as a follow up for all who may encounter similar situation as above, I did a bleed and refill starting with the 5th accumulator then the globes and used fresh fluid from a can. Greatly improved my ride quality, which confirmed that I had air in the lines. It could probably use even another bleed, but I'm happy with it now.

In the middle of replacing the globes now. I did bleed all the 5 accumulators and replaced the globes. Filled the pump while bleeding making sure to keep it full.
I hit the starter button, dash says N. Start it and dash goes to low with a warning light. I bleed all 4 corners a few times now, driver side has a little fluid while pass. side has zero fluid while bleeding. Can't get it to raise to normal and I don't hear the motor.

In the middle of replacing the globes now. I did bleed all the 5 accumulators and replaced the globes. Filled the pump while bleeding making sure to keep it full.
I hit the starter button, dash says N. Start it and dash goes to low with a warning light. I bleed all 4 corners a few times now, driver side has a little fluid while pass. side has zero fluid while bleeding. Can't get it to raise to normal and I don't hear the motor.

It may take many tries. Keep cycling the engine off and start while putting the AHC into N. The pump has a time-out protection if it doesn't see pressure within a short interval. So it'll take several times before it pushes enough new fluid into the system to build pressure.

Thanks TeCkis300. I've cycled the engine maybe 10 times. Bleed all 4 corners again, and added fluid. I'm not getting much through the rear pass. accumulator.

Edit: We got an N folks! biNgo!

Last edited:
Thanks TeCkis300. I've cycled the engine maybe 10 times. Bleed all 4 corners again, and added fluid. I'm not getting much through the rear pass. accumulator.

Edit: We got an N folks! biNgo!

Whew, that's a relief. Any particular thing you did?

I don't think I tried starting the engine while holding the switch in N as many times as I should have.
Thanks for the help.

I don't think I tried starting the engine while holding the switch in N as many times as I should have.
Thanks for the help.
Glad you got it working. Sometimes it takes a while. I helped a friend with his last year and had to leave it running for 5+ minutes before it settled where it should.

Thank you. I got some pointers from watching your vid. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom