What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (50 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The War Wagon got its final bit of planned service—transmission flush and ASFIR skid plates.

I did the drain-and-fill routine four times. Fluid started out dark brown but not burnt smelling. Fluid got redder and redder each time. New fluid came out bright red out of the check valve as I adjusted the level.

Took me damn near 1 year to put the skids on. I was too impatient to wait for Dissent aluminum and ordered ASFIR. Then they sat in my garage for 18 months. 😤

View attachment 3068259

Cleaned up shift plate surround and hit with a couple coats of underbody rustoleum spray, new shift plate and cup holders, Nice after work project.

F331D29D-8D27-4DD8-96AC-5A922D5B930F.jpeg

I thought cupholders in the corners of my Huracan storage lid would be a good use of space. Put everything back together and immediately realized that I forgot to reattach one of the tailgate release cables :bang: The drawers must be removed first in order unbolt the drawer frame so I really thought I was screwed. Then I realized that if I got the wing panel out of the way (two Phillips screws) I could then pull the cupholder out, reach in and manually turn the release lever. POP! We're back open!
tempImagecrEiDp.png

Ever since I bolted my drawers down I've been concerned about what to do in case a tailgate cable/sheath breaks. With my tailgate stuck closed I am dead in the water. The cupholders also serve as absolutely essential access holes, I can't recommend this mod enough!

Last edited:
here we go, this oughta be enough to flush it out twice. Btw the next cushions that Toyota give you, it’s impossible to thread the nut on the shock. You gotta compress it with a vice beforehand and let it sit to squish down a bit, then I used a socket to push the shock up enough to flatten some more to get the top nut on. They don’t give you enough threads the oem shock 😡

79E43D31-4A14-44E4-ABBB-F4DEA97531C4.jpeg

DE8D4B4E-960C-4546-AD59-70F6ABC1EA7E.jpeg

I didn't like the idea of $400 for extended sway bar links. so bought some $40 rockauto items and cut and welded some wheel studs in (1" in front, 1.5" in back according to my napkin geometry estimations).

Only installed the front ones so far (as the rear top nuts are sunk into the washers so going to be a PITA to remove), but the difference in ride quality and handling is night and day on my 2.5 slee OME / nitrocharger lift.
Honestly, those lift kits should come with sway bay drop link extensions as part of the lift kit. I've always thought it rode like crap, and had a horrible habit of lifting the front inside wheel over fast road undulations that I blamed on the nitros being over damped on the return stroke, but these extended links have transformed it and it rides like a different vehicle. Even though it looked like nothing, that incorrect angle on the sway must have caused quite a lot of stiffening/binding of the front independent arms.

Highly recommended.

IMG_20220723_154805.jpg

Might have made a mistake 😳. … had the truck for a year and 5k miles already and have really enjoyed that throaty V8 roar on start up. Much like a slow boiled frog, hadn’t really noticed that the roar was getting loader and throatier of late until the muffler’s cover plate started dragging and revealed the muffler’s true state … mainly rust being held together by more rust. 3 days later a rather well made replacement arrived, slightly more expensive than the cheapest that Amazon offered up, but not OEM league either.

Tried many tools to get off the original … Dremel, oscillating cutter, sawzall but the one that worked the best was a small angle grinder with a metal cutoff blade … cutting heated the bolt as well, which facilitated a fairly easy process to knock out the cutoff bolt with a hammer and punch. Reuse the vibration absorption thingy and install … half a banana job

9856D985-30C7-494A-B5E8-ECBAE4A13D84.jpeg

3B974BAB-1274-42C1-8238-9F64098DDB4C.jpeg

236CE9EC-0331-4015-90E6-EC5CB933AD57.jpeg

… problem now is it sounds like the flapping wings of a bloody hummingbird… gone is the manly V8 roar … AND … I can hear the noise of the hullivator, tires, power steering pump, brake pump, diff and a thousand other things to start worrying about 😳

Alright, done with the rig for a while outside of maintenance. Started with a super clean 98 with a full maintenance history, then picked up “the largest will call order ever” from Slee (at least according to their warehouse team). Last week took out the AHC and went OME. This week got the Slee skid plates and ARB bumper on and then threw on some KC HiLites since my buddies like night wheeling up in the mountains.

0AA58ACD-3647-4509-86FC-2B329340F846.jpeg

6EE3A5D8-4A1F-4029-A371-E9F68175E7CA.jpeg

Put on 3 genuine from partsouq door handles - all but the drivers DH. Ripped the drivers door card off anyway to check my speaker which is on the nose.
Those speakers sit really close to the door card, looks like I've hit the door once or twice and broken the centre part of the speaker. Going to replace with some kicker 2 ways next week. (slowly do them all plus a sub). Clipped the overhead console back in where the spraypainter who did my windscreen repair didn't put it back on right. Lost the bolt straight down the park brake crevice (smh damn annoying couldnt find it even after ripping the trim off around the gear shifter/s lol). Found a replacement anyway. What else? that's it I think.

We got some new dancing shoes! These lightly used wheels and tires were in the classifieds for a few weeks and I kept hoping someone would buy them, for they were not in my financial plan right now… alas, they were too tempting! Also digging into some baselining of fluids as a new-ish owner.

731B06F7-4352-45D1-856F-BE3F1038E581.jpeg

Investigated the "cabin air filter" on my '99 UZJ100 today.

Some on the 'web say that early 100 Series did not get a cabin air filter, but the LX470 version did. Others say the early 100s do have the filter housing.

Bought a Denso brand cabin air filter (2 pieces) a couple weeks ago. Got around to the project today.

There is a decent YouTube video on the process by "Mister Memo" I used for guidance. It is an easy job.

And . . . my 1999 UZJ100 does have the cabin air filter housing with door. But there was no filter inside the housing. Helps explain why the interior gets so dusty driving off-road in the desert! lol

Vacuumed out as much of the debris in the lower filter slot I could access then insert the 2 filter elements (upper and lower.)

Worth it to investigate on any of the early 100s in case the vehicle does have the cabin air filter housing.

Investigated the "cabin air filter" on my '99 UZJ100 today.

Some on the 'web say that early 100 Series did not get a cabin air filter, but the LX470 version did. Others say the early 100s do have the filter housing.

Bought a Denso brand cabin air filter (2 pieces) a couple weeks ago. Got around to the project today.

There is a decent YouTube video on the process by "Mister Memo" I used for guidance. It is an easy job.

And . . . my 1999 UZJ100 does have the cabin air filter housing with door. But there was no filter inside the housing. Helps explain why the interior gets so dusty driving off-road in the desert! lol

Vacuumed out as much of the debris in the lower filter slot I could access then insert the 2 filter elements (upper and lower.)

Worth it to investigate on any of the early 100s in case the vehicle does have the cabin air filter housing.
Could you fit the entire (long/only manufactured) cabin filters in the housing? Or did you need to cut the mid section out to fit them in? So many variants it seems.

Could you fit the entire (long/only manufactured) cabin filters in the housing? Or did you need to cut the mid section out to fit them in? So many variants it seems.

What I found behind the glove box in my 1999 UZJ100 was exactly what was shown on the YouTube video I mentioned (which was about replacing an existing, dirty cabin air filter.) The housing accepted the 2 cabin air filter elements supplied by Denso without issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom