LCDC 2022 retrospective from a first-timer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tbisaacs

It's basically a Land Cruiser
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
instagram.com
I'm almost home from my first LCDC and wanted to write down a few things before I forget—and mainly to forget how crummy this hotel room is in Twin Falls.

Gratitude

First and foremost, thank you to @codyaustin5, @indycole and the cast behind the scenes, and Dissent, Slee, @Eric Sarjeant and the rest of the sponsors for creating such an amazing gift to this community.

I started posting back in 2017 and never imagined that I would also got to put humans to screen names. Shout-out @radman @BIC JET @Trukk @HSTexan @PhuckItImDone @laserturbo91 @CharlieS, @linuxgod, @ATwoZ @ethernectar and more who I can't think of right now. I left the event with some new friends.

Trail impressions

Over the week I ran Boreas Pass, Mosquito Pass (blue), Birdseye Gulch (blue-plus), Red Cone (red), Peru Creek (green), Chihuahua Gulch (blue). Red Cone is pretty hard to top (quite literally). Obviously everyone talks about the ascent and descent — but I really loved the sub-alpine section. The obstacles start within the first five minutes and the don't quit. My favorite part was the first big rock obstacle. @linuxgod bravely fought his way through first and burped a tire going through:

I got through no problem but credit it to the fact that Geoff, Hants, and @Trukk worked out the kinks first:

Chihuahua Gulch was a close second in terms of my favorite. It was challenging and short, but didn't let up. I didn't take many photos because we tried to beat the rain.

Last edited:
Hanging on the edge (literally)

On Birdseye Gulch I was motoring along on a shelf and my rear tire rolled a rock and I went off the edge. It happened in an instant. Luckily the crew quickly jumped into action and we secured a line to the back and I pulled from the front:

This process reinforced that the most important part of any recovery is to stop, calm down, and think—because this could have been deadly but it ended up being over quickly thanks to the team of drivers with me. I did make some mistakes—namely my winch controller was totally in accessible and I had to swing my bumper open and open the hatch to get it. In a situation where a vehicle is in a compromised position already, opening doors can make it worse.

I will say, my $600 Badland Apex winch is the best money I've ever spent.

Capability

At this point, I have the confidence that I'm equipped to do anything this side of Rubicon. I may not have the skill, but I certainly have the truck. Gears and a rear locker would be nice but I didn't struggle much on anything. I will say, my 295-equipped truck cleared things that my 285/70/18 equipped cruiser breathren did not. LX for the win. Also noted—I didn't use my CDL one time during the week. It would have helped in a few places but I was so paranoid about toggling it on and off given that it works maybe 3 out of every 5 times I use it. I didn't want to hold the group.

Mechanical issues

I had two issues this trip of note:

Truck ran hot up mosquito pass. This happened to me before, same conditions—extreme uphill angle, and lots and lots of sloshing. Up the main pass the truck quickly got to just a tick below the red line. The driver's suggested turning on the heat and it quickly came down. Upon getting to the top, the group recommended that I check my coolant and it indeed was just a bit above "low" in the reservoir. After I topped up it never happened again — however sloshing up Red Cone I did notice that the temp gauge was 2-3 ticks above the middle.

However, the big issue, and the one that was potentially a trip-ender was that my truck stopped shifting into 4lo on day 1 after using it successfully twice before. The third time I flipped the switch and just got no response-not even a flashing light. I tried the usual driving around, disconnecting the battery and nothing helped. I immediately cited @TeCKis300 's excellent thread on this. I was totally mentally prepared to take apart my actuator in the driveway of my AirBnB but like the recovery, I stopped and thought for a second—if the light isn't blinking and I dont hear anything, then it's likely not the actuator.

So instead I took apart the controls and found absolute human filth of old soda, hair, dirt etc on the plunger that pushed down the contact on the control board (sorry, possibly not safe for lunch):

IMG_5989.jpg

I got everything cleaned up and it still didn't work. So I took it apart a second time and instead looked at the switch itself. It turns out that because the plunger was gummed up, it broke the pawl on the switch:

IMG_5992.jpg

So I had to improvise. Even though the pawl is broken, the switch still toggled into the right spot. So I just needed to have something to push the pawl down. Enter the 4lo cotton swab—and again, I'm sorry, it's filthy:

IMG_5994.JPG

But it worked. This cotton swab saved my LCDC.

I did leave with some bumps and bruises but my sliders and skids did their job. Otherwise, no issues and I fully expect to make it home tomorrow in one piece.

Last edited:
@tbisaacs great to meet you in person and fun to see you on the highway today in SLC. We were on our way to the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum when we spotted you. Small world! The museum is a must see for anyone passing through the area.
AA2BF32A-7BD7-4E03-BE3F-C969081BEACE.jpeg
137A45AD-44EC-40F1-B7B3-EA3305969182.jpeg
2CC0C351-32EA-41B3-872D-F0368B3BCAF5.jpeg
30FE481E-6ADE-48B6-B5A0-B64FE020D49C.jpeg
42B69A3A-A6C6-426B-819B-B45310486416.jpeg

Great pictures. Did anybody else’s experience high temps on the runs mentioned above?

I’m not sure! Oh two trucks did get evap codes.
Mine pulled evap codes in Morrison, CO. 5800 ft/95 degrees. 24 gallons in LRA and 12 in the main. I reset the code and it didn't come back in again. This only happens to me in 90 ish degrees at 5000+ ft. They just need to cool down and burp.

Mine pulled evap codes in Morrison, CO. 5800 ft/95 degrees. 24 gallons in LRA and 12 in the main. I reset the code and it didn't come back in again. This only happens to me in 90 ish degrees at 5000+ ft. They just need to cool down and burp.

What is on the horizon for you and Ed Martin. Money and time will tell, I guess. :)

Mine did the same thing, it threw a code once as we hit elevation in Colorado in high nineties outside temp, I cleared the code and it never came back. Coolant temps never got high enough to be concerning.

My 2nd LCDC. I really enjoyed this one the most. Had a lot less people, AND that we met up at the same place each morning really provided the opportunity to get to know so many of you. It did not feel that way last year. While the scenery and trails were awesome, it is the people that make this a can't miss event: organizers, trail leaders and trail runners. Looking forward to next year, and hope it skews more like this year than last!

-Chris

Great write-up and pics.
Makes me jealous of everybody who went.

Thanks for the write up! I'm really keen on making my way to LCDC sooner or later. What's the typical day look like for those, like myself, who have somewhat limited technical trail experience or those who's builds may be suited to the more difficult trails?

Good Write up! We have ridden a number of those trails on various trips to Breck, and it's a great place. If you liked Chihuahua gulch, another fun trail is Warden's gulch across the road from there. It has one steeper spot and a creek crossing that is deep in late June (when we were there) and ends at a mine site way up the mountain. Most of my 4x4ing lately been solo, but I used to attend similar events back in my Grand Cherokee days, and it's fun meeting up with like minded enthusiasts!

Thanks for the write up! I'm really keen on making my way to LCDC sooner or later. What's the typical day look like for those, like myself, who have somewhat limited technical trail experience or those who's builds may be suited to the more difficult trails?

The organizers did an excellent job providing options for all skill levels (blue, green, and red). From what I saw people also switched around as the week went on. If they were feeling confident - go up to a blue for example.

I also switched to a blue from red my last day. Red cone was exhausting 😝

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom