1966 FJ40 preservation/build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Don't they all. Keep it up!

I was sitting in the Land Cruiser in a parking lot when a newer FJ Cruiser with all of the fancy off-road accessories (snorkel, roof rack, bumpers etc) parked next to me. The guy got out and said “nice Jeep”….He honestly didn’t know Toyota ever made a “Jeep”

An FJ owner called your 40 a “nice Jeep?” We are in end times 😂.

Does he even know his is a Toyota?
8F788E78-91E6-4A59-B032-E490B10B48C8.jpeg

Hoping someone else has dealt with this as I have had it on the back burner for a couple of years, but my torpedo bolts that secure the rear doors are in sad condition: one is frozen and broken, while the other is completely missing: Any insight for a reasonable fix would be appreciated! Thanks, Duane
9B489DB3-F156-4C2C-A842-FA29154ECEEB.jpeg
5B8AE451-6B6A-4BCA-8B94-2F0AE901DDBE.jpeg

Hoping someone else has dealt with this as I have had it on the back burner for a couple of years, but my torpedo bolts that secure the rear doors are in sad condition: one is frozen and broken, while the other is completely missing: Any insight for a reasonable fix would be appreciated! Thanks, Duane View attachment 3020705View attachment 3020706
as John stated, Mark has them.

157-28PLWR DR LATCH PIN(INSIDE) 65-74/40$20.00

Love seeing the spot weld dimples not all covered with pink stuff. 👍

Great trip!

The Utah trip with the FJ40 was 30 years coming: In the 1980s I went to Moab quite often to visit friends and hit the trails. I was given a 1968 FJ40 (red one in the pic) and absolutely destroyed it on trails and poor maintenance. Like most entitled teens/20s I didn’t appreciate what I was given. Long story short, taking the “new” Land Cruiser to Moab was a symbolic journey and reminder to be kinder and gentler on my possessions and more importantly, those around me.

150237E6-EAE4-443B-B892-18A8E55A9647.jpeg

So, looking over the new corrugated too it looks like I have most, if not all of the parts necessary to make one decent top. it will take much effort though….

Haven’t posted in the wanted section yet, but am looking for the following parts to make the 1965 Land Cruiser drivable for (most of) the winter. If anyone has spares of these, please let me know

(1) windshield wiper arm. Evidently I placed the original in a safe place that I would not lose it lol.

Drivers side door glass. I see them on EBay, but have never figured out which years are compatible.

Heater duct-the large, ugly plastic one that connects the blower motor to the under-dash core. Again, have never figured out which years are compatible with a 1965, so am hesitant buy on Ebay.

Thanks!

(Unrelated bonus pic)
05306169-AB34-4657-8241-73B2C68FA121.jpeg

A couple if available
Found this heater duct while looking for something else. It's in great shape albeit a bit dusty. Has both mounting brackets intact, the bracket for the air intake is intact, and the rubber mounting seal is there although it shows some cracking. Price $42 plus the ride. Best to email me shmukter@pa.metrocast.net

View attachment 2901949

View attachment 2901950

You‘ll also need the short rubber duct piece that connects the plastic duct to the heater unit itself. GL.

Was that an original TNK wiper arm you misplaced? If so, yikes, they’re rarer than even the gold fillings in hen‘s teeth. There are cheap knockoffs at Summit auto.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the reply, very helpful. Yes, it was an original wiper arm in good condition….theoretically it is still around here somewhere, but in the meantime, will check out Summit.
Also, I was unaware there were two parts to the heater duct. When I started this project it was basically a rolling shell with much missing, so piecing it together in a reasonably original/period correct manner has been a learning experience.
Contacting the authors of the links you posted, thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom