Rain pools on bikini... solution? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
So I have a bikini top on my 40 with a MetalTech family cage. It is waterproof.
(I have a trail cover as well and that keeps rain from coming in on the sides.)

When I have the bikini (or both), significant amounts of rain will pool on top in the areas between the bar tubes. (Yes, I have the bikini strapped down as tight as I dare). It doesn't penetrate the bikini but I have to dump it off there eventually and it inevitably makes a big mess.

I have been playing around with ideas for some way to stop that from happening...
- Some sort of modular panels on top of the bars that I can put under the bikini when it's going to rain.
- Some sort of "arch" (pvc pipe?) arrangement to dome the bikini when it'll rain
- I don't want a full permanent hard roof although I did think about one for the large open space at the rear of the cage above the "cargo" area. Maybe even down the middle between the 2 center bars in the front section of the cage. (shaded areas below.)

So.... what are people doing to prevent pooling?

1659052195919.png

MT cage pic for reference (not my truck):
1659051991228.png

Mark

Ive actually seen a 2x2 piece of wood used for this. It didn’t seem to be vey tall either mostly just barley pushed up on the top material.

You could use a couple of ratchet straps in a x or t pattern across your roll bars. If you want to get really serious take an inflatable beach ball. Or if you’re lazy…rain coat 😎

I want something that I can take with me in the 40 and break out when I need it. I tried a pool noodle sliced so that it fits over the top of the roll bar. I used it on the mid crossbar. It helps a little but it's not enough. I was thinking about some pieces of rigid plastic that I could put on top of the bars and velcro in place. One piece for each open section. Maybe in the rear section it would even be hinged so it could be half size one stored. Although that seems like a lot of hoo-ha to carry around in the 40.

As mentioned above, the 2x2, I think something on top of the mid crossbar tall enough to create a peak might do it for rain.
Either that or always park the 40 on a steep hill! :)

What if you stitch 2 ends with a space to wedge something akin to a tent pole that would bow upwards enough to have the water run off the sides? I can envision it but maybe not explain well what I mean.
I understand what you're saying. I was thinking about a couple pieces of 3/4 PVC wedged between the outer cage bars forming a dome arch thingy. It would probably only have to arch three or four inches to get the job done.

Do a search for boat cover supports. There are clips you can buy that will allow you to put a strip of wood between that creates a bow to hold the top up.

The idea of fiberglass snow stakes popped into my head, though not sure how you'd secure them to the cage.

I like your idea of PVC tubing, or even plastic electrical conduit.

I wonder if you could use a torch to warm the plastic to a degree you could put a slight arch in it?
If you leave the pieces straight you could store them along one of the straight sections of roll bar as long as you had some easy mechanism to secure them in place when you wanted them as the arches. It would be pretty easy to fab up something c-shaped to hold them in place I imagine.

If you leave the pieces straight you could store them along one of the straight sections of roll bar as long as you had some easy mechanism to secure them in place when you wanted them as the arches. It would be pretty easy to fab up something c-shaped to hold them in place I imagine.
Yeah, I like it!

Depending on the width of the PVC, you could cut a slot in each end, and use something like this to secure the ends to the cage. I used these to secure a frame pump to my bikes over the years, and they hold quite strongly over rough and bumpy terrain. Another advantage is that the rubber pieces on the straps are formed to sit well on round tubes.

I used a 2x2 with a tennis ball on top inserted vertically between the console and middle of the bikini.
Simple and effective.

What worked for me was to run my straps around the back roll bar posts instead of just straight back. Got them out of the way of the jump seats and also stopped the water pooling.

I used a 2x2 with a tennis ball on top inserted vertically between the console and middle of the bikini.
Or use a slightly larger ball like a child's size volleyball.

Looks like ma
Or use a slightly larger ball like a child's size volleyball.
Looks like maybe one version for "out in the wild" with a tennis or nerf ball that is more portable and another, with a larger ball, for home use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom