200 Serious Break Accumulator Noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Record the noise and upload the video here. It's nearly impossible for us to know what you're describing without something to view/listen to, so I'd start there.

I'll work on getting a good example...if you don't hear it, you don't have it.

I'll work on getting a good example...if you don't hear it, you don't have it.

Not true. The braking system in the 200 and 100 both make a lot of noise, and I’m very sensitive to noise. But the noises mine have made are normal. There’s no way for us to tell if your noise is normal without hearing it. A mechanic wouldn’t be able to diagnose something without hearing it either but it’s even harder for people on an online forum to know exactly what you mean since everyone’s perception of normal is very different.

I also think the logic is flawed when people say “this thing shouldn’t make any noise because it costs $85k!”. Well it is a truck with massive mechanical parts, so some noises are a byproduct of that. Should a fully loaded $85k diesel pickup truck not make any noise because it’s expensive? Should a million dollar sports car not make any mechanical noise because it’s even more expensive? That argument doesn’t make sense to me.

Not true. The braking system in the 200 and 100 both make a lot of noise, and I’m very sensitive to noise. But the noises mine have made are normal. There’s no way for us to tell if your noise is normal without hearing it. A mechanic wouldn’t be able to diagnose something without hearing it either but it’s even harder for people on an online forum to know exactly what you mean since everyone’s perception of normal is very different.

I also think the logic is flawed when people say “this thing shouldn’t make any noise because it costs $85k!”. Well it is a truck with massive mechanical parts, so some noises are a byproduct of that. Should a fully loaded $85k diesel pickup truck not make any noise because it’s expensive? Should a million dollar sports car not make any mechanical noise because it’s even more expensive? That argument doesn’t make sense to me.

Normal to you, normal to me and normal for what parts are involved aren't known...which is why I'm having my particular situation evaluated by Toyota and why Toyota has acknowledged the issue and is working to resolve it.

In fairness, your examples are a little out of bounds. I don't believe anyone has indicated the truck shouldn't make noises that are germane to it's intent or design, but rather it shouldn't make noises that are inconsistent with it's build quality. Don't conflate the two.

I simply don't like hearing a dog whistle when I brake and if I can find a way to have Toyota make that go away, I'm going to. Without sounding disrespectful, that seems like fairly sound logic to me.

I have 2018. There is a noise coming out when I break. It sounds like a brake booster is working and similarly it does not last for the entire braking period and does not happen every time I brake. However it is definitely not high pitched and not annoying.

You came to the forum asking for help to figure out if a noise is normal, but didn’t provide evidence of the noise. I’m sure you have a smartphone that can easily take a quick clip of it but you didn’t do that. You’re getting defensive because I’m asking you to provide evidence of your problem. You stated Toyota said the noise is normal, and we’re saying the noise is normal. We can’t say definitively one way or another without actual evidence of the noise, especially because everyone’s perception and verbal/written descriptions are going to vary wildly describing the exact same thing. Since we obviously can’t help you any more, good luck with forcing Toyota to fix the “problem”.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get my video to load properly. It would be beneficial, I know, if you could hear it. Once I have a chance to get a good video to share, I'll upload it. BTW, who is the "we" you reference. You mean "you"?

I love your passive aggressive nature. It helps and adds color to an otherwise benign issue for you. Others have simply said they don't hear anything but you make it better by making snarky remarks because you're apparently put out by a thread you aren't required to read? IDK, man...relax. It's not your rig.

I have 2018. There is a noise coming out when I break. It sounds like a brake booster is working and similarly it does not last for the entire braking period and does not happen every time I brake. However it is definitely not high pitched and not annoying.

thx...I've had vehicles with similar sounding boosters...it's the other piece that seems to happen with this vehicle that is odd.

He’s right on the passive aggressive thing, I see it on almost every thread you comment on. Obviously cars make noise, I meant an unwanted loud or high pitched noise. He stated he was having trouble with the noise upload. Cool your jets.

My 2016 has started to make that noise. I did just get a new suspension kit and tires put on it though, so that might be the reason why. It is a very high pitched squeal but I only hear it when I have my windows down.

My 2016 has started to make that noise. I did just get a new suspension kit and tires put on it though, so that might be the reason why. It is a very high pitched squeal but I only hear it when I have my windows down.

it's noticeably louder with the windows down for me but I can still hear it through the firewall with my windows up. Actually, when moving and the windows down, it drowns out my sound.

Any chance there's an auxiliary audio device in the system that's picking it up? When I had a CB in my 100 it would pick up the electric noise of the brake booster motor and you'd hear it faintly over the speaker in addition to the noise from the source. The Ham in the 200 doesn't do this.

I do hear the brake booster in the 200, but only if I have the radio off. It's not disturbing, but it's there. Same volume, about the same rate of engagement as was in the 100.

What's encouraging with the 200, is I've not read of failures of the MC assembly. When I had the 100 that was starting to occur, sometimes with the MC piston, sometimes with the booster. Don't know if the 200 has engineered out the failure points or if the fleet just isn't old enough yet... fingers crossed.

Last edited:
On an $80k dollar vehicle there shouldn't be annoying sounds that are "normal" that you have to live with... Annoy the crap out of them until they make it right. At least that's my $0.02

Nothing is perfect.

Relatively speaking, you would think $80k wristwatches are perfect. But there are misaligned dials, uneven hands, gaps in bracelets, dirt in cases, etc etc.

I'm worth more than $80k....and I ain't perfect.....

Brand new 2019 LC200 here I got last month. I have the same noise which I could best describe as a very feint compressor kicking on every 2nd or 3rd time I press the brake coming from the electric brake booster or "accumulator". It was really noticeable the first 1000km but it gets quieter with time. I can barely hear it now and I probably wouldn't notice if I didn't know it was there. With the radio on, there is less than a 0% chance of hearing it. It's probably re-lubricating itself or something as the truck was manufactured in October 2018 and has been sitting until May. I assume it would be worse in colder climates.

Toyota has officially closed the complaint. I was told it's an electric pump within the braking system and that I can expect it to remain...and there is no way to fix/change it.

While I'm not necessarily pleased with the sound and having to live with it, I am impressed with Toyota and their system of dealing with official complaints. They were extremely responsive and thorough...right down to the dealership that I didn't buy the LC from.

Here's to hoping I can ignore it until it becomes more faint or goes away. :beer:

I have the same issue with my 2019 LC200. On initial brake press you don't hear it, but a successive press of the brake you will hear the booster. Sounds like a vacuum leak. Its pretty loud. I also complained to the dealer and they said there was nothing wrong with it that it was normal. I drive a 2020 Colorado bison as well and switching back and forth, I find the LC200 brakes to be pretty grabby as you apply more pressure to the pedal and you have to be able to feather the brakes. I asked the dealer if the grabbiness and the booster noise were related. Again they said normal. Not much I can do I guess.

My 2019 does what sounds like a slight brake squeal, but very faint, when you press the brakes but it is coming from the booster and not the rotors. Almost like high pressure hydraulic bypassing or air hissing slightly from a balloon.

My 2019 does what sounds like a slight brake squeal, but very faint, when you press the brakes but it is coming from the booster and not the rotors. Almost like high pressure hydraulic bypassing or air hissing slightly from a balloon.
Whooshing sound is normal.

This, on my ‘13. It’s sporadic when braking, not high pitched, not annoying, but definitely some actuator noise or similar for 1 full second. Fades into normal driving and road noises for me. Has never been a bother but it is there.

Let us know what it sounds like when you can via video to see how different or similar yours is.

This, on my ‘13. It’s sporadic when braking, not high pitched, not annoying, but definitely some actuator noise or similar for 1 full second. Fades into normal driving and road noises for me. Has never been a bother but it is there.

Let us know what it sounds like when you can via video to see how different or similar yours is.
I have a 2018 with 13k miles on it. I can hear the brake booster loud whining coming through the firewall, just pressing the brakes, without the car being in motion... Any 2018 owner that does NOT have the issue? If that is the case, it proves that there is a problem with some boosters and Toyota should stand behind it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom