What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (99 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I thought that higher pressure would cause it to boil at a higher temperature, not the other way around.

Yes, higher air pressure makes boil point higher. That would be 11th grade chemistry.

I thought that higher pressure would cause it to boil at a higher temperature, not the other way around.

Yes, higher air pressure makes boil point higher. That would be 11th grade chemistry.

Yes you are correct. I think we are talking about two different things.

Shake up a bottle of coke. It doesn't fizz, open the cap and release the pressure and you get an explosion.

Same thing happens with an old cruiser. When the system doesn't work correctly and it pressurizes than it causes the truck to smell like gas and it also ruins gas tanks.

Worse than the smell of fuel or leaking tanks is this scenario......

Someone with no experience drives to the top of a mtn. They get out of the vehicle and hear a strange noise coming from the gas cap. Without thinking they open the gas cap without realizing they are causing a very dangerous situation. Than they get a face full of gas and pray to God something doesn't accidentally ignite the volcanoe of gas and fumes that are spewing out of the gas tank.

This may or may not have happened to me as a teenager years ago.

This all sounds like good reasons to leave a canister connected and run vacuum in the tank to me. Why would you remove the vacuum line and risk tank pressurization, especially if you're driving somewhere hot? IDGI. If your OE cannister is fubar, there are viable alternatives or you can rebuild like @FMC80 detailed in his build thread.

Well you just added a question to the "what have you done thread".

So now do the exact same thing but instead of asking a question tell us what you did with your 80 series.

And always remember, pictures or it didn't happen.

Hit the attach files button at the bottom. Select a photo, let it load, than hit insert, than hit full image.
1991 LC - Gave it a good bath! I think it lightened up 2-3 shades! Now the restoration begins!

Does anyone have a service manual they don’t need anymore for this one?

Open to ideas, advice, etc.

D1DB4336-3A63-4425-9F0F-F7AB815AE0D7.jpeg

2BEE2ADC-C498-47BE-8E46-CCEE8094B29B.jpeg

C76CC38B-BA37-47C5-940D-AE3D3EC464D8.jpeg

6252E490-15D8-48CE-A787-8FC2A6476368.jpeg

Well you just added a question to the "what have you done thread".

So now do the exact same thing but instead of asking a question tell us what you did with your 80 series.

And always remember, pictures or it didn't happen.

Hit the attach files button at the bottom. Select a photo, let it load, than hit insert, than hit full image.
@leonard_nemoy thank you!

remove stickers, find someplace else to put those lights or ditch them, lower 3 inches , less ugly wheels.

That is a sharp truck! :D
"Put 37s on it."

Fixed that for you. :cool:

Drove my new-to-me 80 home from AZ to MD with a few fun stops along the way in Sedona, Grand Canyon, Friends place in CO, etc....3050 miles to her new home! And my son already swiped my tires, but I think I got the better end of the deal...removed the back jump seats, and washed/reinstalled the EscapeGear seat covers up front... :beer:

Last thing i did for my 80 was to register here.
Earlier today i tried to get the light bulbs to work on the "console / control panel" so far no luck 🙄

IMG_20220729_202721.jpg

LOL! 2 years later....

That is some sticky rock. Never been out there yet but it must be a gritty sand stone, like sand paper.

That is some sticky rock. Never been out there yet but it must be a gritty sand stone, like sand paper.
Yes it is, you get insane traction. At first it is a little unnerving. The name slick rock, came from horse and wagons the hooves and wooden/steel wheels were slick on the rock, but rubber tires are everything but slick.

Last edited:
Didn't want to make a new thread for this - I noticed after the last 2 automatic car washes I had a bit of water leaking into my driver's side A-pillar. Tonight was definitely worse so I investigated when I got home. I assume that water is making its way into the widened gutter where a previous owner wired in a CB antennae? Would I be ok to fill up that space with silicone to prevent water from making its way down?

IMG_9771.jpg

IMG_9770.jpg

IMG_9772.jpg

IMG_9773.jpg

Didn't want to make a new thread for this - I noticed after the last 2 automatic car washes I had a bit of water leaking into my driver's side A-pillar. Tonight was definitely worse so I investigated when I got home. I assume that water is making its way into the widened gutter where a previous owner wired in a CB antennae? Would I be ok to fill up that space with silicone to prevent water from making its way down?

View attachment 3072826

View attachment 3072825

View attachment 3072827

View attachment 3072828

I would suspect winshield leak or sunroof leak before gutters.

Yes it is, you get insane traction. At first it is a little unnerving. The name slick rock, came from horse and wagons the hooves and wooden/steel wheels were slick on the rock, but rubber tires are everything but slick.

It's super sticky until it gets wet in a rain storm, than it becomes slickrock!!!!!!

Thank you! I suppose I could do a quick test of trying to block the gutter with some duct tape and run through the wash again in order to rule that out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom