What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (21 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Unplug the fuel line that runs from the gas tank to charcoal canister. I unplugged mine at the charcoal canister and stuck a small engine inline fuel filter on the end.
Doesn't that make the car smells of gasoline?
I would love to get rid of the canister and get all that extra space in the engine bay,
but I don't like the thoughts of gasoline fumes near the engine.

Those look like they fit pretty good. LINK? Some of the soft-sided molle panels like that are so saggy but these don't look too bad.
MOLLE BACK SEAT.jpeg

Just got them to be honest the material and quality seems good for the price, I will fit it in the car and take some pics but so far not bad at all.

I would love to get rid of the canister and get all that extra space in the engine bay,

Not land cruiser specific but when we've deleted evap systems before, we don't vent them in the engine bay

Typically if the vehicle is parked in a garage you can get some gasoline smell. But not enough to create a hazard.

Got some new meat. Prior to these I tried out some Kenda MTs. They sucked. Internal thread failure caused bowl shaped wear. Not recommend to anyone. Only got 30k miles. These are the bees knees.

View attachment 3071001

View attachment 3071002

View attachment 3071003

Previously I had the Cooper STT Pro on my 1st Gen Xterra, they performed flawlessly. Went shooting in eastern San Diego county and came across clay/slick round rock and did not shift into 4wd. They gripped and tossed the clay from the lugs without any issues.

Previously I had the Cooper STT Pro on my 1st Gen Xterra, they performed flawlessly. Went shooting in eastern San Diego county and came across clay/slick round rock and did not shift into 4wd. They gripped and tossed the clay from the lugs without any issues.

My 80 is my third rig with them. I don't even generally consider another tire for my driving habits.

I only smelled fuel before I started venting to atmosphere.

As for gasoline funes in the engine bay, when I would remove the gas cap I would get the whoosh. With the system being pressurized when I would disconnect the hose to the canister I would also get a nice stream of fuel vapors coming out of the hose in the engine bay. This scared me because of the fire hazard and made me hesitant to vent to atmosphere in the engine bay.

So I did a test, I went ahead and vented to atmosphere with the fuel filter on the end of the fuel line. Than on a hot day, 100F+, I drove from 3,000ft to 8,000ft.

I stopped at 8,000 ft and checked the fuel line. I could not smell or feel any vapors coming out. Than with a fire extinguisher and wet towell handy I ignited a bic lighter at the end of the fuel line. To my amazement nothing happened.

I think with the tank being vented to atmosphere it doesn't build up any pressure now so realistically the fumes coming out in the engine bay are negligible. I never get the gas tank whoosh or smell fuel now that I vented to atmosphere.

What route did you go to plug the holes?

I used epoxy to “weld” steel pieces behind the panels.

I explained my process in this thread if your interested

I only smelled fuel before I started venting to atmosphere.

As for gasoline funes in the engine bay, when I would remove the gas cap I would get the whoosh. With the system being pressurized when I would disconnect the hose to the canister I would also get a nice stream of fuel vapors coming out of the hose in the engine bay. This scared me because of the fire hazard and made me hesitant to vent to atmosphere in the engine bay.

So I did a test, I went ahead and vented to atmosphere with the fuel filter on the end of the fuel line. Than on a hot day, 100F+, I drove from 3,000ft to 8,000ft.

I stopped at 8,000 ft and checked the fuel line. I could not smell or feel any vapors coming out. Than with a fire extinguisher and wet towell handy I ignited a bic lighter at the end of the fuel line. To my amazement nothing happened.

I think with the tank being vented to atmosphere it doesn't build up any pressure now so realistically the fumes coming out in the engine bay are negligible. I never get the gas tank whoosh or smell fuel now that I vented to atmosphere.
Is it possible to do a simple connection / picture of the hoses and connections ?

Finally getting around to building my 4x4 Labs bumper with dual swing outs.
Cut frame and removed all the smashed in bumper pieces from getting rear ended a couple of years ago.
20220727_182320.jpg
20220727_182331.jpg

Is it possible to do a simple connection / picture of the hoses and connections ?

Doesn't get any simpler than what I did.

20220728_114610.jpg

The fuel filter I used was an oem inline fuel filter for a Honda 4 wheeler that I had laying around.

Any cheap small engine inline fuel filter would work.

How do I add to the what have you done thread?

Well you just added a question to the "what have you done thread".

So now do the exact same thing but instead of asking a question tell us what you did with your 80 series.

And always remember, pictures or it didn't happen.

Hit the attach files button at the bottom. Select a photo, let it load, than hit insert, than hit full image.

Last edited:
Fuel boils, that is why it will over pressurize the system. Ethanol fuel boils at a lower temp than old school normal fuel.

Just and FYI.

Cheers

Yep, and when it's under pressure it will boil at a different temperature and cause gas tanks to leak.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom