Bought My First Pig (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I saw this 55 when it was for sale, I really wanted it but timing is off.. whereabouts are you in Orlando? Our shop is in Winter Park if you need anything :cool:

No way! I'm over behind the UCF area. Good to know.

Awesome, just down the street. We're on Aloma just past Hall Rd. Feel free to reach out if you need any parts or anything.

Got the cargo window seals roped in this afternoon. Used these as practice before finishing the windshield. The job went waaayyy easier and quicker than I was expecting.

Huge thanks to @SLOCRUISER for keeping pig rubber available. Solid product as always! 👍.

IMG20220722171905.jpg
IMG20220722171913.jpg

IMG20220722171930.jpg
IMG20220722171920.jpg

It’s fun and addicting to keep rehabbing them. If you keep trolling on here for parts you will eventually find mostly everything needed.

I am frequently bouncing between Facebook, mud, and eBay for parts. I enjoy hunting them down. That seems to be the benefit of this 55 not being my DD. I've got time on my side here.

Well I got the tailgate glass to go up and down today. I did the five tooth offset, and I can't tell if it's binding or not or if that's what a 50yr old motor does, but IT WORKS!!!

I had to buy a used regulator from Specter. The pins on my original were rusted out and the rollers were completely missing. The arms were seized enough that I had to cut one off to get to the regulator bolt.

It's been replaced/repaired in the past seeing as all the Phillips head screws were already stripped (needed cutting or drilling to get out) and required new hardware. Other than cursing at the alignment and getting it to fit into the glass roller guides and the glass back on track it was pretty straight forward.

Next up, finish the windshield and then patch and seal floors and maybe tailgate and door rubber.

Moving right along...

IMG20220727195707.jpg

Last edited:
Tried to install the new windshield seal. As I started roping up the sides I was met with anoth crack. The windshield was already old/hazy and cracked. I was trying to be be cheap and save it. Guess not. New glass on order we'll try again with the new glass.

Meanwhile, this felt super tight while roping in. Any tips for windshield seal install?

IMG20220731145433.jpg

Agreed! And if they break it they replace it on their dime not yours.

I was afraid y'all would say that. I already budgeted for new glass (the old one needed to be replaced) but I was being cheap. I'll give the new one another try and after that, glass shop it is!

Not having the truck sealed up is stalling some other work I am wanting to do.

I was afraid y'all would say that. I already budgeted for new glass (the old one needed to be replaced) but I was being cheap. I'll give the new one another try and after that, glass shop it is!

Not having the truck sealed up is stalling some other work I am wanting to do.
FWIW, I live in Jax and have had two pig windshields replaced.. On my first I got a piece of advice from Cruiserjunktion to call multiple shops to learn if they could source them as opposed to going on Ebay or online.. Every shop I called could source them, with a huge variation in price... some vendors won't come to the truck, some do of course.. If you work the phone and shop a bit, you'll save hundreds.. and get them to come to you... Easy.. Nice rig!!

Just reread your windshield entry and realized you've already done the phone work and sourced your windshield.. uh-duh on my part... :rolleyes:

FWIW, I live in Jax and have had two pig windshields replaced.. On my first I got a piece of advice from Cruiserjunktion to call multiple shops to learn if they could source them as opposed to going on Ebay or online.. Every shop I called could source them, with a huge variation in price... some vendors won't come to the truck, some do of course.. If you work the phone and shop a bit, you'll save hundreds.. and get them to come to you... Easy.. Nice rig!!

Just reread your windshield entry and realized you've already done the phone work and sourced your windshield.. uh-duh on my part... :rolleyes:

It's all good. I'll always appreciate some advice. As luck would have it my folks had a rock wreck their windshield on a road trip the other week and I was able to talk to their windshield guy (big name company). He and I came to an arrangement once my glass gets here. It's over budget by a bit but totally worth it to get it done right.

So I haven't been updating here for a bit. My bad. I finally called in the glass for the windshield. The glass guy had me worried but he showed last minute and his 20+ yrs of experience outclassed my 20mins of experience. And now, for the first time in several decades, with the door and window rubber installed, this truck is officially leak free. Several Central Florida summer gully washers have tested that out.

I have since started patching the floors and prepping for lining them (more pics when that get further under way).

On a whim, I checked out the carb (sniper is already ordered) just for a bit of tinkering. The PO couldn't figure out why the truck wouldn't idle. I figured that out. The carb was all gunked up. The hard line from pump to carb had sand in it. The line out of the tank was clogged with gunk and rust. It's all apart and cleaned and the tank is on its second chem soak. Altogether the tank isn't too bad - just old.

While everything was soaking, waiting, curing I started stickering.

IMG20220811114938.jpg

IMG20220816135928.jpg

IMG20220811114630.jpg
IMG20220814142519.jpg

IMG20220816135933.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom