Preparing For Corrugations/Wash Boards/Road Ripples (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After 40 miles of washboard and driving faster than I should have, the vibration carved a nice hole in my radiator, the fan shroud was mounted incorrectly and rubbed on the fins at the bottom of the radiator. YMMV.
There is a new shroud available from Toyota if you’re is factory installed.

I keep going back to the age and type of rig your running, even if you have the best shocks/springs money can buy, perfect tire air pressure combo every nut and bolt gone thru your still in a 3 ton 25yr old rig that was not designed as a pre runner. I have driven 1000s of miles in baja and local deserts in both race preped rigs and overlanders for 40yrs. it is just hard on everything and unless you like nut and bolting everything after those types of runs and ratlles from your dash you cant get rid of drive at a speed the truck is happy, not on the edge of comming apart. best advice if you want to drive fast buy the new polaris pro R side by side. it wieghs 1/3 of a normally preped 80 has more HP, 3" computer controled shocks and 24" of travel. But no A/C and you get dirty.. for twice the money go with the new RAPTOR 37. and get all the comforts of a limousine. as a side note on shocks vrs washboard, Just got back from an 800 mile off road run in my 5th gen fully rigged with fox 2.5 dsc on last years 1000 course and after less then an hour runnig fast 30-60 depending on conditions my shocks would over heat on wash board roads. I have the correct spring shock combo but that type of condition just hammers a shock. I am going to do the same run in a couple months in my lite wieght not heavy 93/80 with DOB MRA on 3" springs, be interesting to see how it does.

Haven't driven any corrugations in the 80 but back in the 90's I drove a 76 Ford Falcon all over the Australian Outback including 1,000k on the Tanimi track. Had two issues. First the corrugations destroyed my battery. Didn't have a spare. Yes, the police knew my where and when. Lucky a dude in a Rover came by, gave me jump. Made it to Yuendumu community and bought a "new" one. Was told by the mechanic the cells get destroyed by the vibrations. No idea if that is true. Second, had a Jerry can not properly secured, rubbing on something and started to leak. Fortunately, smelled it before I lost too much and tank was able to take it all.

Point is they are going to beat the snot out of you but they are very doable in any vehicle. Just like any other trip make sure you've got some reasonable spares, extra water and fuel and let someone know your plans.

Pack some XXXX or Emu Export in the cooler and you'll be fine.

You didn't come up the Burr Trail without reaching out did you?!? :p Glad you were on dirt for that tire flying off, must have been quite an experience!!!!!

Not on that trip, I was heading to the ferry and checking out the San Juan mtns.

That was before I realized your over there. Next time I come through I will certainly hit you up.

Remember, more people die in single-car accidents in Death Valley than by any other means.

Please be safe out there.

Reading this thread reminded me of another incident for an 80 series truck. Somewhat washboard related, but they said the road had just been graded.

Make sure that before you do this route, you MUST install a Snorkel.

Read through the entire thread and on the last page you'll find that the owner chimed in to advise exactly what happened.

You've all forgotten the most important part - if you've got young kids with you, make sure you try and sound out an even tone when driving over those corregations. It's like talking into a fan, they love it. :D

In all seriousness, I've done countless kms over washboard. There's no one universal rule, it comes down to feel and experience. I have driven 130km/h over washboard. In a manual. On straight sections. In dry conditions. On dirt roads I'd driven 100 times before, and had already been down an hour before. In a vehicle I'd daily driven for a decade. And still, that was risky, and I was very aware as I was doing it. You need to be in tune with the car and have a sense of what your grip is like on all four wheels through what you're feeling at the wheel, and know how to correct when, not if, you start twisting or drifting.

For me, the fact you've made this thread tells me washboard isn't something you have a lot of experience with. Don't push it. Listen to your car and your gut. If it doesn't feel comfortable, slow down. Ease into it. Expect to be going slowly the entire way.

EDIT: Thinking back, I might be misremembering here. I think it was 130km/h without washboard, but I'd slow down to around 70-80km/h on washboard (or less when it's more severe).

Last edited:
I remember one time at band camp, I hit 200km/hr on severe washboard, in a 1982 geo tracker with 3 bald tires and no steering wheel.

You just have to believe in yourself.

Nobody has mentioned the risk of the dash falling out onto your lap.....??

And those corrugations are caused by everyone driving these roads at 50++MPH ;)

And those corrugations are caused by everyone driving these roads at 50++MPH ;)

While speed is a factor it’s only one of a handful. And the speed required to start corrugations is in the single digits. Enviromental conditions play a larger role. Lack of moisture and dirt composition being the most important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom