2023 Toyota Sequoia - 3rd Generation REVEALED (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I do agree that only offering a small 4cyl. in the 4Runner will turn away a lot of buyers in that segment.

It might at first and people will grumble about it but eventually people will continue to buy what TMS thinks is best for everyone. I wish Toyota would be like the big three and still offer engine choices up to V8.

It might at first and people will grumble about it but eventually people will continue to buy what TMS thinks is best for everyone. I wish Toyota would be like the big three and still offer engine choices up to V8.

Agreed! While we like the look of the Z71 Tahoe and AT4 Yukon we'd never buy a GM product but we do appreciate how they still offer multiple V8 options in those vehicles. The same can be said for the new Wagoneer and we really liked the interior of that SUV, but again I just don't think we could trust that vehicle and there have been a lot of reported issues with them.

I think your right. Every generation of 4runner previously had a base and optional engine. I guess technically the 5th gen had the 4cyl for one year in 2wd models. But it really needed the 4.6 v8 option.

Toyota has to know that 250hp isn't going to be enough in a 5k lb SUV. Not when everyone else has 400+hp. The T24A is probably a better engine than the 1gr when hooked to a 10at. But it will likely grow to lc300 dimensions and it's not going to be enough engine.

No front recovery hooks is a major let down. So the new tundras have no front recovery points either?

I think your right. Every generation of 4runner previously had a base and optional engine. I guess technically the 5th gen had the 4cyl for one year in 2wd models. But it really needed the 4.6 v8 option.

Toyota has to know that 250hp isn't going to be enough in a 5k lb SUV. Not when everyone else has 400+hp. The T24A is probably a better engine than the 1gr when hooked to a 10at. But it will likely grow to lc300 dimensions and it's not going to be enough engine.
It is sad because you can still get V8 in the Nissan Titan and Armada for better pricing.

No front recovery hooks is a major let down. So the new tundras have no front recovery points either?
Correct. And so far no way to even add front recovery points on the tundra because the drop down front air dam moves right through the area they'd be. Sequoia doesn't have the moving air dam, so presumably it's just a matter of cutting holes in the plastic and fabricating some bolt on loops. It looks like a hidden winch is very doable as well. The air dam is so low I'm sure it'll be ripped free long before you're ready to need recovery points.

But why not have them OEM? Or maybe why not have street oriented trims with AWD and no low range like GM does for its SUVs and then have the off-road versions that skip the low hanging skirts and add front recovery points. If you don't need recovery points, you probably don't need low range either.

Correct. And so far no way to even add front recovery points on the tundra because the drop down front air dam moves right through the area they'd be. Sequoia doesn't have the moving air dam, so presumably it's just a matter of cutting holes in the plastic and fabricating some bolt on loops. It looks like a hidden winch is very doable as well. The air dam is so low I'm sure it'll be ripped free long before you're ready to need recovery points.

But why not have them OEM? Or maybe why not have street oriented trims with AWD and no low range like GM does for its SUVs and then have the off-road versions that skip the low hanging skirts and add front recovery points. If you don't need recovery points, you probably don't need low range either.

I can't find it on mobile, but I thought that some Sequoia trims did have the moving air dam, such as the Platinum/Capstone line.

Also, I do think this is an unfortunate miss but given the primary audience they are catering to, not going to make or break a purchase decision for most people. Thus, we end up with no recovery points.

I was hoping the TRD Pro would be more than just a cosmetic change on the grill and would have had openings for OEM tow hooks.

Also, in case folks didn't notice, the online configuration tool is now live on toyota.com

Agreed! While we like the look of the Z71 Tahoe and AT4 Yukon we'd never buy a GM product but we do appreciate how they still offer multiple V8 options in those vehicles. The same can be said for the new Wagoneer and we really liked the interior of that SUV, but again I just don't think we could trust that vehicle and there have been a lot of reported issues with them.
We sold our 200 series. My wife got a wagoneer. I was skeptical. But it's a phenomenal vehicle. Ride, mileage, and comfort. But it's not going where a land cruiser will take you. Time will tell on dependability. But first 30k miles is impressive.

We sold our 200 series. My wife got a wagoneer. I was skeptical. But it's a phenomenal vehicle. Ride, mileage, and comfort. But it's not going where a land cruiser will take you. Time will tell on dependability. But first 30k miles is impressive.

We love the size and the interior but they sit on dealers lots here in the area for months and even with the discounts they aren't moving. I don't know how others see that but to me that's concerning. I have read in the forums that they have been experiencing quite a few issues, most appear to be electrical in nature which is never fun because it's difficult to diagnose and part replacement dependent which is the last thing you want in this current inventory and part shortage climate we currently reside in.

I hope they prove to be excellent vehicles and sell decently well with a good resale value, but as of right now I am just not seeing that here locally and I am not willing to take a $90K+ chance on one at the moment. Hopefully your personal experience helps to prove me wrong.

We love the size and the interior but they sit on dealers lots here in the area for months and even with the discounts they aren't moving. I don't know how others see that but to me that's concerning. I have read in the forums that they have been experiencing quite a few issues, most appear to be electrical in nature which is never fun because it's difficult to diagnose and part replacement dependent which is the last thing you want in this current inventory and part shortage climate we currently reside in.

I hope they prove to be excellent vehicles and sell decently well with a good resale value, but as of right now I am just not seeing that here locally and I am not willing to take a $90K+ chance on one at the moment. Hopefully your personal experience helps to prove me wrong.
I would rather have the 200. 13 mpg sucked. But 100k with zero issues was great. Plus it would flat out wheel.

I would rather have the 200. 13 mpg sucked. But 100k with zero issues was great. Plus it would flat out wheel.

In our case we wouldn't be selling the Cruiser, the Wagoneer would be an addition. I accepted Toyota's for having awful fuel economy long ago, the few mpg's gained by moving to another vehicle isn't worth all of the other trade-offs IMHO.

All sources are saying soccer mom days for the GX are done with the new j180 being very boxy with triple lockers and 33s. Engine is the va35 with the sr tundra tune.

Lets all hope that those rumors turn out to be true, it'll be a huge win for us enthusiasts if it's true.

All sources are saying soccer mom days for the GX are done with the new j180 being very boxy with triple lockers and 33s. Engine is the va35 with the sr tundra tune.

Please don't tease me like this 😭

I just think they look funny. Especially in person. It's like they took most of the styling from the renegade, but then added huge pillars to expand the volume and kept the same size windows. It doesn't help that the only ones I've seen in person are all white. And white doesn't do it any favors. Mostly because the body panel gaps are large. Especially around the doors. Not uneven necessarily - just wide. And so you see the shadow lines around them and it seems to make all of those body panel pieces look like separate parts instead of a cohesive whole. Style is always subjective. But it doesn't do much for me. That and terrible fuel efficiency. The ram is pretty decent with the same engine. I'm surprised they managed to get significantly worse mpg in an SUV.

That's similar to what I've read. What makes me question it is that it looked like a GX body in the recent future vehicle showcase and the body was very prado evolution, not g wagon.

But also why they'd not just use the lc300 GR Sport. The GR Sport is the vehicle I want over everything else I've seen so far. And they're almost identical in size. So Lexus would have an lx600 at 112" wheelbase and a GX500? at 110+ wheel base that's on the same platform and shares the same engine but it's slightly more off-road oriented? And it'll be slotted between the TRD pro 4runner that will presumably have double lockers and fox suspension at maybe $65k and the LX at $85k. I think an off-road oriented LX would be a better fit.

Seems like a very narrow niche marketing choice. I think that's why I have such a hard time wrapping my head around it despite coming from a historically reliable inside source. There's a big demand for that right now. So it's probably true.

Maybe the LX is really the odd ball. If there's an L?750 on the way that's a Sequoia in Lexus trim and an eventual LF where does that leave the LX?

It won't be a LX GX. As far I know, it will carry the Prado nameplate under Toyota name.

I just think they look funny. Especially in person. It's like they took most of the styling from the renegade, but then added huge pillars to expand the volume and kept the same size windows. It doesn't help that the only ones I've seen in person are all white. And white doesn't do it any favors. Mostly because the body panel gaps are large. Especially around the doors. Not uneven necessarily - just wide. And so you see the shadow lines around them and it seems to make all of those body panel pieces look like separate parts instead of a cohesive whole. Style is always subjective. But it doesn't do much for me. That and terrible fuel efficiency. The ram is pretty decent with the same engine. I'm surprised they managed to get significantly worse mpg in an SUV.

I agree, it looks better in the darker colors. I like certain angles and I hate others. I like the front-end and the back isn't bad but the side profile, especially behind the rear doors back bothers me. The third window size and shape just doesn't flow IMHO.

That's similar to what I've read. What makes me question it is that it looked like a GX body in the recent future vehicle showcase and the body was very prado evolution, not g wagon.

But also why they'd not just use the lc300 GR Sport. The GR Sport is the vehicle I want over everything else I've seen so far. And they're almost identical in size. So Lexus would have an lx600 at 112" wheelbase and a GX500? at 110+ wheel base that's on the same platform and shares the same engine but it's slightly more off-road oriented? And it'll be slotted between the TRD pro 4runner that will presumably have double lockers and fox suspension at maybe $65k and the LX at $85k. I think an off-road oriented LX would be a better fit.

Seems like a very narrow niche marketing choice. I think that's why I have such a hard time wrapping my head around it despite coming from a historically reliable inside source. There's a big demand for that right now. So it's probably true.

Maybe the LX is really the odd ball. If there's an L?750 on the way that's a Sequoia in Lexus trim and an eventual LF where does that leave the LX?

If we can get a more 300 Series GR Sport looking GX with lockers and a non four cylinder motor and Lexus level interior/appointments, then I think we will have a huge winner on our hands. I want to wait and see what the market brings but I don't think we can personally wait another year or more, we need to add something sooner. We will have a 2023 Bronco on order here in a few weeks which should arrive by January so that might be a good hold over for us, but I worry that the Bronco craze will sputter out by next fall and I'll struggle to break even with it, hopefully I am wrong!?

What I heard was that it was going to be very boxy like a 70 series.

I also heard a triple locked off-road lx is also being considered… I think it already has been green lighted for other markets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom