Builds 79 Aussie BJ55 build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Love the property, should be Proud 😉👍
Thanks Bob, we're really lucky to be able to buy and enjoy something like that.
What a beautiful place you guys have! Spotlighting around here means poaching, good way to get shot at.
No guns to shoot back with down here..

Some dyno sheets.. base line run and then fuel screw turned up 3/4 turn.

It's still running lean as, its really hard to get to the boost compensator with everything in the way..

i.php

+20kW and +100Nm
i.php

Max boost 22PSI
i.php

The tyres made things hard on the dyno too..

Last edited:
Then the weekend just gone I went out to Adamsfield via the Saw back track with the No Limits 4wd club. It was pretty dry and not much of a challenge but the old girls big bum copped a few decent hits... lucky no panel damage this time. I had the boy with me and we had a good time.
i.php
20220320160008-bd5f1ed2-la.jpg
20220320155929-9a7131ae-la.jpg
i.php
i.php
i.php
i.php
i.php
i.php
i.php
i.php
i.php
i.php
i.php
i.php
i.php

Tomorrow the 55 goes onto the dyno so we can up the fuel a bit .. i'm not looking for massive numbers.. it's just running a bit lean at the moment..
Fantastic pictures!

more overlanding mods. fridge slide with 2 x 400mmx800mm long stainless steel sections on 125kg drawer slides.. total extended length is 1500mm. I need to find some tent poles and make a bracket so they can be deployed at full extention. frame is made of 3mm and bolted to existing tie down points. and yes my initial hackjob saw too tight tolerances and scratched up the outer section.
i.php
i.php
i.php
i.php

more overlanding mods. fridge slide with 2 x 400mmx800mm long stainless steel sections on 125kg drawer slides.. total extended length is 1500mm. I need to find some tent poles and make a bracket so they can be deployed at full extention. frame is made of 3mm and bolted to existing tie down points. and yes my initial hackjob saw too tight tolerances and scratched up the outer section.
i.php
i.php
i.php
i.php
That looks nice and useful!

Hope the kids don't run around the back and BOOM! Clothesline...

Long time no post so a bit of an update.

- The pig has been off the road for the last month or so due to gearbox noises. I'm currently waiting for the gearbox rebuilder to get back from holidays on the 12 July. The plan is to extract my H55F and transfer and ship it interstate, along with a spare BJ73 H55F and transfer. The reason for acquiring a spare is the fine spline input shaft for the B series is unobtainium from Toyota. Worse case is my input shaft is cactus at least there is a spare there for the rebuilder to use. Best case is I get a discount cos the rebuilder has a B series H55F and transfer he can offer as an exchange!

This has also meant I can continue with barwork and a long list of mods.. The first being a winch compatible front bar. I've designed mine off a Slee shortbus bar, and while not period correct should offer protection, a sturdy winch mount, and improved approach angles.. I've got 32NB medium wall tube to add a center hoop, but just waiting on a bender...
i.php
i.php
i.php
i.php

Also on the list was front sway bar disconnects.. I folded up some 3mm plate so I could anchor the swaybar out of the way when disconnected:

i.php
i.php

A rough test in the front yard showed the front wheels remain planted past the point where the used to lift wheels with the swaybar connected. It still needs a better more thorough test offroad though:
i.php
i.php

Thats about it for updates so far. I've got my Victoria High country trip for the OCKA (Old Cruiser Kicking A$$) Winter invitiational at Rawson again in August so trying to get my camping setup, sliders, scrub bars, rear bar and interior lighting all complete before then.

No doubt I'll need to revisit my suspension setup after all the barwork is done with heavier rated 2" springs to maintain the lift..

I found a 2.5m 270deg Foxwing awning locally for cheap which included a heap of things so replaced my eco foxwing (2.1m):
i.php
i.php

It came with a tapered side, and groundmat.. I'm going to get another side which should offer considerable protection in crap weather.. With a stretcher for my swag it should be good for some solo trips in adverse weather.

Oh I also got to test out the rear table and the upgraded 270 foxwing when we had a bon fire in the front yard..
i.php
i.php
i.php
i.php

and I found another crack in the roof that needs repairing..
i.php

Sorry to hear about the gearbox. Hopefully that gets turned around soon. Everything else looks killer 👍
If i had half a brain I would of got it rebuilt while the body work was in progress.. but such is hindsight.

If i had half a brain I would of got it rebuilt while the body work was in progress.. but such is hindsight.

Are your B boxes early or late? If you get an exchange, make sure you don't get shafted by being given an early box in exchange as you can't swap the shaft into a new box!

Are your B boxes early or late? If you get an exchange, make sure you don't get shafted by being given an early box in exchange as you can't swap the shaft into a new box!
talking to the rebuilder he doesnt have spare B boxes to exchange - yet. additionally my late model transfer is non-vac activated and the case has been clearanced for the 4:1 reduction gears. both boxes being from the same donor (bj73) and with a 38mm idler I should get what I need back. others that have used him have only had good things to say about his work too which instills confidence.

Sounds like you have it figured out, but if you run into issues I have a couple new OEM B series H55F input shafts.

Scott

front bar is pretty much done apart from paint. ive added tabs for lights and welded it out since these photos were taken
i.php

i.php
i.php

Last edited:
Bumper bolted on.. upgraded wiring in place and routed although I might try another route.. All thats left here is to wire the power+isolator switch and negative and wire winch controls. oh and found some Hella Rallye 4000 compacts for $50 just down the road.

i.php
i.php
i.php
i.php
I want to perm mount a switch behind the grill, keep the wireless in the engine bay, and run to the in-cab switches... tossing up chopping up the winch controller box so I can use a plug in controller either that or just make a 3 pin plug so i can plug it in anyway..
i.php

Also replaced body mounts which where looking pretty sad with fresh new ones.. and did a few loops of a seatbelt to act like a poor mans limit strap
i.php

oh and a photo of the bender with my home made angle finder/setter. this makes it easy to repeat the same angle bends
i.php

Last edited:
finished work for the day and now begins a months worth of paid leave. Hoping to get a heap done in time to head to Victoria for the OCKA Winter Invitational IN MY OWN CAR!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom